Morrisseys Ouvre

I used to write commercial programs for the BBC, Oric and C-16. Always had a soft spot for these. In my attic now I have innumberable boxed zx81s, Spectrums, Orics, a fully operation Commodore PET, loads of BBC-B stuff, various Ataris, Texas Instrument machines, and God knows what else. On the wall in my home office is a customised ZX81 and a Manic Miner 3D-effect relief-type thing. I'm as nerdy as they get, and I've just backed the second tranche of the Spectrum Next here...

I could talk about this all day...

LOL :crazy:
i just called the bbc and they said your probably the nutter with the video game that hangs around the car park:lbf:

I used to write commercial programs for the BBC, Oric and C-16. Always had a soft spot for these. In my attic now I have innumberable boxed zx81s, Spectrums, Orics, a fully operation Commodore PET, loads of BBC-B stuff, various Ataris, Texas Instrument machines, and God knows what else. On the wall in my home office is a customised ZX81 and a Manic Miner 3D-effect relief-type thing. I'm as nerdy as they get, and I've just backed the second tranche of the Spectrum Next here...

I could talk about this all day...

Top geekery. I was a Spectrum kind of kid (even had the 128k+3 with discdrive) but my first computer was an Acorn Electron.

And obviously an Atari with Pong on it.

The BBC-B though what a computer. Although endless games of Chuckie Egg were probably not the reason they had a raffle to ensure the whole primary school got 2 of them. For 300 kids.

Top geekery. I was a Spectrum kind of kid (even had the 128k+3 with discdrive) but my first computer was an Acorn Electron.

And obviously an Atari with Pong on it.

The BBC-B though what a computer. Although endless games of Chuckie Egg were probably not the reason they had a raffle to ensure the whole primary school got 2 of them. For 300 kids.
Cut my teeth on a BBC-B Econet network. Worked out a way to use error messages to brute-force passwords, and use the keyboard buffer to hack in. Those were the days. Also I wrote a word processing program in Hindi on a BBC. All true. And an adventure game based around going for a curry. Favourite game was Daredevil Dennis for its simplicity.

Morrissey hasn't made a decent record since 94 (Vauxhall) he became lyrically lazy, has been backed by inferior musicians, and poor production: the whole thing has become stale and bloated. Sure there's been a smattering of great songs in the past 25 years but he hasn't come close to a consistent decent record. So so many artists have a superior body of work to Dorrrissey: Beatles, Bowie, Neil Young, John Coltrane , Miles Davis...I could go on but you get the general idea... He became as someone else wrote a man trapped by the cult of his personality. A warped parody of a man.
His autobiography was unintentionally revealing in that it revealed nothing about the creative process and was just pages of tedious attacks and moaning. If he'd released some decent albums he could be forgiven for being such a vulgar man (most artists are difficult people ) The whole Morrissey thing turned from something beautiful into a weird cult. A sad ending .
I'd agree with you about a mediocre record like Low in High School, but I am Not a Dog on a Chain is a really solid record. The only dud is The Truth about Ruth.

First name that popped into my head was also Bowie (naturally. It's what you're supposed to say, I guess). But then I realised that ever since I stopped listening to Blackstar obsessively about two years ago, I'm back to the same 1969-1983 albums (+Laughing Gnome, it's essential). And nothing Bowie ever wrote makes me feel the way Late Night, Maudlin Street or Maladjusted or Well I Wonder or Rubber Ring or Home Is A Question Mark does.

I think there are some bands whose body of work I personally would consider as (nearly) flawless as Morrissey's but it's not "pop" and not comparable for various reasons.

Of course, as others have stated, it's highly subjective and if I was as involved in somebody else's work as I am in his, I'd probably see things differently.

It's like Morrissey saying the Dolls' debut is the "best"/most important album ever made.
Glad to see someone else who puts Late Night Maudlin Street at the top of his work. Such an essential song!

Glad to see someone else who puts Late Night Maudlin Street at the top of his work. Such an essential song!
Late Night, Maudlin Street is my favourite Morrissey song. I love his stream of consciousness lyrics (and prose) and his delivery on the record is absolutely heartbreaking.

I was thinking that too but I feel like it's not really comparable because Elvis was more of a performer and singer, not a lyricist or songwriter and he was part of a whole profit-orientated machinery.

But, as with Morrissey, the voice is what makes the songs.
Agreed, what about the other one?

Costello? I'm not an expert on him, so I'll let others be the judges of that.
Elvis Costello had a fantastic run in the late 70's and into the '80s. His more recent work is less consistent, but he put out a large amount of excellent material during that time. IMHO, he is in the top 5 of rock lyricists up there with Morrissey, Dylan, and John Lennon.

morrisseys hoover.

dusty springfield.

Late Night, Maudlin Street is my favourite Morrissey song. I love his stream of consciousness lyrics (and prose) and his delivery on the record is absolutely heartbreaking.

Yes, and there’s so much magic in the combination of that music and those words, especially Vini Reilly and Andrew Paresi’s playing. It’s as if his words have found their soulmate. I’ll even bet Morrissey was sitting on some of those lines a long time just waiting for the right moody songs to put them to. Perfection.

Yes, and there’s so much magic in the combination of that music and those words, especially Vini Reilly and Andrew Paresi’s playing. It’s as if his words have found their soulmate. I’ll even bet Morrissey was sitting on some of those lines a long time just waiting for the right moody songs to put them to. Perfection.

I imagine him writing the lyrics (or part of the lyrics at least) with Smiths songs in mind. It's very much a song that closes the "gap" between his Smiths and solo times.

He originally intended to use these lines on the back cover of the Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me single.

20200827_224232.jpg

I imagine him writing the lyrics (or part of the lyrics at least) with Smiths songs in mind. It's very much a song that closes the "gap" between his Smiths and solo times.

He originally intended to use these lines on the back cover of the Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me single.

View attachment 58695

That is almost the lyrics to Pictures of You by The Cure.

Careful, we are getting in to my nerd speciality area :)
Although we were a Commodore & BBC house - no sponge keys for us.
Everyone's A Wally... FGTH the game...
Hubbard & Minter kept me company through my youth.
*happy sigh*
FWD.

I remember Peter Shelly had a ZX Spectrum programme on his XL1 album that played graphics and the lyrics via the computer.

View attachment 58695
Does anyone here agree that Viva Hate is a superior record to Strangeways?

Back
Top Bottom