Mousetrap!

Alma
I had the same thing a few years back at my previous abode.
I saw one scampering across the floor and thought it was alright. A few weeks later there was more of them and they were taking liberties and I thought I need to act....
I got one of those high pitched thingies as didn't want to kill them and they did work.....

Unfortunately a week later my neighbour (young single parent female) knocked on to say she was moving out to her parents for a while as her house was infested with mice and did I have a problem:eek:

I played the innocent and said no. She had called out environmental health and i did the same too. I didn't like to do it but felt i had no choice. The rat man came and laid poison around the house. On two seperate days there was a small mouse on the kitchen floor dead......:(

So the sirens do work, but just shift the problem elsewhere.

Never had a problem after that.

Jukebox Jury

thank f*** your not my neighbour:D

Alma
I had the same thing a few years back at my previous abode.
I saw one scampering across the floor and thought it was alright. A few weeks later there was more of them and they were taking liberties and I thought I need to act....
I got one of those high pitched thingies as didn't want to kill them and they did work.....

Unfortunately a week later my neighbour (young single parent female) knocked on to say she was moving out to her parents for a while as her house was infested with mice and did I have a problem:eek:

I played the innocent and said no. She had called out environmental health and i did the same too. I didn't like to do it but felt i had no choice. The rat man came and laid poison around the house. On two seperate days there was a small mouse on the kitchen floor dead......:(

So the sirens do work, but just shift the problem elsewhere.

Never had a problem after that.

Jukebox Jury

Thanks darling!

I have decided to get one of those sirens tomorrow...the Sarge will be quite at home with one of those! ;)

I still haven't caught the little bugger so I am hopeful he decided that he didn't like it here and didn't want to stay! :)

If all else fails I guess me and Matters family can always move into the West Wing of Chez Alma! :D

Right...off to bed now...but don't know how much sleep I'll get...with a frying pan under my pillow! :rolleyes:

Love Alma xxx

Alma,
you sure you got those traps in the right places?
make sure ones in that cupboard and flush with a wall, or theyll just ignore them...
dont forget that if you stick a pencil through a hole/gap then a mouse will get through it to!!! (thats a shocking thought)

im suprised you didnt catch anything, you gotta be careful not to handle the traps too much, ie no sticking fingers inside... because your smell'll put them off, maybe also try summat different to peanut butter, choc raisins or small bits of bread often work... (and have you checked them thoruoghly? you'd be suprised at how good they are at getting the food out without being caught, little buggers...)
you have to take each rodent at least a mile away from the capture site or it could return.

oh and dont forget they are incontinent, so pee as they run, so no padding about in bare feet. :eek:

failing this, borrow someones cat (and litter tray/water bowl) and stick it up in the loft for the night, hopefully its very presence/scent will make them all scarper...

Alma,
you sure you got those traps in the right places?
make sure ones in that cupboard and flush with a wall, or theyll just ignore them...
dont forget that if you stick a pencil through a hole/gap then a mouse will get through it to!!! (thats a shocking thought)

im suprised you didnt catch anything, you gotta be careful not to handle the traps too much, ie no sticking fingers inside... because your smell'll put them off, maybe also try summat different to peanut butter, choc raisins or small bits of bread often work... (and have you checked them thoruoghly? you'd be suprised at how good they are at getting the food out without being caught, little buggers...)
you have to take each rodent at least a mile away from the capture site or it could return.

oh and dont forget they are incontinent, so pee as they run, so no padding about in bare feet. :eek:

failing this, borrow someones cat (and litter tray/water bowl) and stick it up in the loft for the night, hopefully its very presence/scent will make them all scarper...

Aww!...thanks so much Lottie for taking the time to give me so much good advice...much appreciated! :)

Day 5 now of my mouse-hunt...and still nothing!

I think maybe I have been lucky and that I only had one little visitor who decided not to hang around. Strangely I feel a bit worried about the little guy now...hope a cat didn't gobble him up! :(

I'll keep you posted! ;)

Thanks again!

Love Alma xxx

My parents had a problem with mice for ages - we had poison out for them, but they were travelling between the houses (it's in the middle of a row of terraces) and our neighbours weren't doing anything to get rid of them. Eventually my dad went through the house looking for holes in the walls and filled them all up with wire wool, as recommended by environmental health. Seems to have sorted it - they get in the loft sometimes, but never into the house. You need to seal up all holes that are big enough for a Biro lid to get through (their heads are squishy so they can get through tiny holes, as previously mentioned).

Oh, and try to put a board behind your radiators - a couple of mice got in my old room that way, but as soon as we sealed it there were no more problems.

Good luck - they're annoying little buggers!

My parents had a problem with mice for ages - we had poison out for them, but they were travelling between the houses (it's in the middle of a row of terraces) and our neighbours weren't doing anything to get rid of them. Eventually my dad went through the house looking for holes in the walls and filled them all up with wire wool, as recommended by environmental health. Seems to have sorted it - they get in the loft sometimes, but never into the house. You need to seal up all holes that are big enough for a Biro lid to get through (their heads are squishy so they can get through tiny holes, as previously mentioned).

Oh, and try to put a board behind your radiators - a couple of mice got in my old room that way, but as soon as we sealed it there were no more problems.

Good luck - they're annoying little buggers!

Thanks! That wire wool tip is excellent! :)

Love Alma xxx

Without wishing to sound too soppy and sentimental thank you so much to all you kind people of Solo who have raced to my aid in my current rodent crisis!

It really is heart warming that so many of you have gone to so much trouble and taken so much time to offer such brilliant help and advice!

People of Solo...I salute you! :)

Love Alma xxx

Without wishing to sound too soppy and sentimental thank you so much to all you kind people of Solo who have raced to my aid in my current rodent crisis!

It really is heart warming that so many of you have gone to so much trouble and taken so much time to offer such brilliant help and advice!

Love Alma xxx

We all have nothing else to do, with the world in the economic crisis it's in.
We are all just sitting about waiting to be of use.

Just joking. Just glad to help. Sometimes it takes a long while to catch them. It may have traveled to your neighbors for better snacks and when they run out, it may come back to you. Keep the traps out, but refresh the bait if you are using peanut butter or the like. (I though peanut butter wasn't very popular in the UK?)

A few internet facts about mice:
Mice have a rapid reproduction rate; the gestation period is approximately 18 to 21 days. The typical litter size is 4 to 12 young. In some instances, up to twenty young have been born. Males can mate with the female as soon as the litter is born. Females come into heat around every five days.
Mice attain sexual maturity within only 2 months and a pair of fully matured mice can reproduce 50 to 60 pups in a single year. Because of such high reproduction rate they out number other species on this earth so easily.

Love Alma xxx

Alma
Have you hit the wine before the kds are even out of school? That sounded like an Oscar awards ceremony speech:p

Jukebox Jury

Alma
Have you hit the wine before the kds are even out of school? That sounded like an Oscar awards ceremony speech:p

Jukebox Jury

I know mate...I'm filling up 'ere! :tears:

It's just nice sometimes to acknowledge peoples kindness...I am a soppy old mare...what else can I say?! :o

(wasn't on the wine when I wrote it...but I am now! ;))

Love Alma xxx

(wasn't on the wine when I wrote it...but I am now! ;))

Love Alma xxx

Not on the topic of mice but wine: we got a nice bottle of organice chardonnay which we opened on Sunday. I had some leftover which I kept in the freezer, and I thought I'd pamper myself last night, so I poured myself a glass. It didn't smell too good, but I thought it would be okay after it had got some air. I tasted it a few minutes later - the bloody thing was gone off. :sick:

:angry: to organic wine!

Not on the topic of mice but wine: we got a nice bottle of organice chardonnay which we opened on Sunday. I had some leftover which I kept in the freezer, and I thought I'd pamper myself last night, so I poured myself a glass. It didn't smell too good, but I thought it would be okay after it had got some air. I tasted it a few minutes later - the bloody thing was gone off. :sick:

Serves you right for not drinking the whole bottle in one go:p...... me and Alma would never have the problem of having to leave a bottle in the fridge for a few days:cool:

Jukebox Jury

On the other hand, you probably have some high-quality grape vinegar! :guitar:

Last year's batch of homemade mead spoiled, but the vinegar it produced was on par with the crazy-expensive shit from the natural foods store. I had so much of it (~1.5 gallons?) that I couldn't use it all, and poured most of it down the drain. :(

Serves you right for not drinking the whole bottle in one go:p...... me and Alma would never have the problem of having to leave a bottle in the fridge for a few days:cool:

Jukebox Jury

EXACTLY! :D

My sister-in-law brought be a set of three wine bottle stoppers for my birthday...I smiled sweetly of course...but I was thinking..."What the f**k am I gonna do with those!" ;)

Love Alma xxx

Back
Top Bottom