New "Best of" compilation listed on Amazon - Apr 27 2018 release?

UPDATE Feb. 11:

An anonymous person posted the link:

https://wmg.jp/artist/morrissey/WPCR000026316.html

Warner Music Japan release site

UPDATE 10:30 AM PT:

Posted by guru_mosh:

According to German retailer jpc.de this will be a reissue of the "Suedehead" best of compilation.

Morrissey: Suedehead - The Best Of Morrissey (SHM-CD)(reissue) - jpc

*** Japan-Import

Amazon sites indicate a new ? Best Of Morrissey compilation for April 27, 2018.

Anyone have any details?

Link / screenshot posted by Famous when dead:

https://www.amazon.com/Best-MORRISS...r_mobile_desktop?_encoding=UTF8&tag=msamzn-20

42179_best_of_amzn.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
His resume isn't embarrassing, and I don't know whether or not his drumming appears on any greatest hits comps. Could be. I don't care to research it right now. Andy is in the same boat. Decent resume, could be on someone's, but anybody can figure out that there are only two career paths that end up with successful post-group solo careers. Guitar hero, or vocalist. You have exceptions like Phil f***ing Collins, or someone like Les Claypool, where the bass is the lead, but there is absolutely zero that is special or atypical of the post band career for either of the background Smiths.

:cool:

Yeah, but Joyce is a twat and The Smiths are a sacred cow for people who have misplaced nostalgia for a Indie dippy era. :rolleyes:

So my question still stands.

Let's put it this way ....

If the Smiths were a band comprised of four equal members, all of whom brought an equal amount of talent to the band, then wouldn't the logical outcome be that all four members individually would go on to have careers all of equal success?

folks, use your loaf

So my question still stands.

Let's put it this way ....

If the Smiths were a band comprised of four equal members, all of whom brought an equal amount of talent to the band, then wouldn't the logical outcome be that all four members individually would go on to have careers all of equal success?

folks, use your loaf
My loaf is intact, unsliced, and sound. There's been enough kerfuffle about beating dead horses on here lately without this nonsense. I explained it perfectly. Plenty of bands have been comprised of equals, split, and I'm hard pressed to think of more than Phil Collins and as you pointed out- Ol' Ringus the dingus as far as drummers go, who have started their own solo career. Guitar hero? Solo career. Singer? Solo career. Rhythm section? Someone else's new rhythm section. There is nothing at all atypical about this, yet you're really trying to act like there are extraordinary circumstances at play.

My loaf is intact, unsliced, and sound. There's been enough kerfuffle about beating dead horses on here lately without this nonsense. I explained it perfectly. Plenty of bands have been comprised of equals, split, and I'm hard pressed to think of more than Phil Collins and as you pointed out- Ol' Ringus the dingus as far as drummers go, who have started their own solo career. Guitar hero? Solo career. Singer? Solo career. Rhythm section? Someone else's new rhythm section. There is nothing at all atypical about this, yet you're really trying to act like there are extraordinary circumstances at play.

I know, I agree IT IS difficult to imagine that Mike or Andy could be involved in a steady band that released a string of albums from which songs could be pulled to put together a best of album by a record company.

I know, I agree IT IS difficult to imagine that Mike or Andy could be involved in a steady band that released a string of albums from which songs could be pulled to put together a best of album by a record company.

STAHP! I'm going to detach a retina from rolling my eyes so hard. We can agree to disagree on this one. Because I can't sway you, and you can't sway me. So here. Let us sway gently instead.

STAHP! I'm going to detach a retina from rolling my eyes so hard. We can agree to disagree on this one. Because I can't sway you, and you can't sway me. So here. Let us sway gently instead.

:lbf:

I know, I know... it's difficult for people to wrap their heads around the fact that the Smiths were not made up of four equal members.

And so ... neither a 'best of' or 'worst of'.

It was called The Smiths. They were pretty good. Check 'em out if you get a chance. :thumb:

It was called The Smiths. They were pretty good. Check 'em out if you get a chance.

hardy har har.

'Check 'em out if you get a chance.'

sorry, too busy listening to Low In High School:rock:. Has Joyce been recording anything recently? nah, he was too busy trying to put together a Smiths tribute show.

:sleeping:

:lbf:

I know, I know... it's difficult for people to wrap their heads around the fact that the Smiths were not made up of four equal members.

And so ... neither a 'best of' or 'worst of'.

I challenge you to this. Find me 10 best of albums from either drummers or bassists to have gone solo. If you can do this, I will give you this one. If you can establish a precedent wherein this is an industry standard, I'll completely concede the point. Go harp on the drummer from the Thompson Twins for all the good it does to do the same on Mike Joyce. It was Morrissey's lawsuit and disappointment. It wasn't yours.

EDIT: And not youtube best of lists. Albums.

Have you ever considered that this theory of 'equal parts' that you present would apply only to the four member's time within The Smiths? It is irrelevant what any of them did after the band's demise.

If, after the break-up Morrissey had become a crackhead and Marr had joined S Club 7 it would not suddenly be deemed evidence that the former members were not 'equal parts' in the band.

Case in point Nirvana - drummer Dave Grohl hit the big time unlike bassist Krist Novocelic who didn't (and wasn't trying to) - does that mean that during Nirvana, Grohl should suddenly be looked at as having been the superior partner?

It was Morrissey's lawsuit and disappointment. It wasn't yours.

EDIT: And not youtube best of lists. Albums.

I'm not talking about as a solo act. Why hasn't Mike with all his talent (that was supposedly equal to Morrisseys and Marrs) go on to make great records with a great band after? If he was a 'equal' member of the Smiths don't you think he would still be to this day making records with a band that found his abilities/talents as a drummer invaluable ?

my only disappointment is that folks can't face the fact that he was not an equal member of the Smiths.

Have you ever considered that this theory of 'equal parts' that you present would apply only to the four member's time within The Smiths? It is irrelevant what any of them did after the band's demise.

If, after the break-up Morrissey had become a crackhead and Marr had joined S Club 7 it would not suddenly be deemed evidence that the former members were not 'equal parts' in the band.

Case in point Nirvana - drummer Dave Grohl hit the big time unlike bassist Krist Novocelic who didn't (and wasn't trying to) - does that mean that during Nirvana, Grohl should suddenly be looked at as having been the superior partner?

But how do you know Marr wasn't in S Club 7 for a short time? I mean, his solo work is quite extensive. You may have overlooked it. He played for Banderas after all. ;)

never said 'equal parts'... equal members w/equal talent.

'It is irrelevant what any of them did after the band's demise. '

really? but don't you find it odd that all four members of the Smiths did not go on to be successful equally?

I think if Mike did, it might help with the theory that he was an equal member with equal talents in the Smiths. That he had something special to offer them( not to say he wasn't useful) and would in turn have something to offer another band after the Smiths( meaning in a band successful to this day).

it's not rocket science.

But how do you know Marr wasn't in S Club 7 for a short time? I mean, his solo work is quite extensive. You may have overlooked it. He played for Banderas after all. ;)

Indeed! I shouldn't have mentioned S Club 7 as am completely unfamiliar with them and I like great pop music!

I should have said Radiohead instead. Girls Aloud, for example were infinitely superior to their dreary droning dross.

Johnny Marr interview :

What possessed you to work on Girls Aloud’s last album?

I was working with Brian Higgins on a Pet Shop Boys record, and let it slip that I liked the guitars on a couple of Girls Aloud’s early singles. So he got me in a headlock, took me from behind and, before I knew it, I had a harmonic in my mouth. No, I loved doing it. I am evangelical about pop music. The idea that pop is crass and commercial is an old-fashioned rockist conceit linked to the whole “Disco Sucks” campaign. I always saw The Smiths as a pop group. Sparks, Roxy Music, Bowie, Sweet all made great pop 45s. I’ve always held on to the nobility and aspirations of pop, and what it can be.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom