New Morrissey song played on BBC radio (with disclaimer) + Morrissey ridiculed on BBC R4 show

Long-term Morrissey/Smiths fan indie DJ (and TV bloke from the 80s), Gary Crowley, played River Clean on his BBC Radio London show a couple of nights ago. Said "I love this track" and was alerted to it by a couple of people (implying he hadn't bothered with the album). At the end he said (paraphrase) "that's a great track... if you can ignore all the other stuff about him".
Radio 4 comedy show tonight 6:30pm - comedian talked about how we breathe in billions of atoms in our lives. Probably the same ones that made up Oscar Wilde and Adolf Hitler - "that would explain Morrissey" (cue the biggest laugh of the evening).
That's where we are folks in 2020. Morrissey has become a cultural byword for the far right and racism. And when presenters do dare to play his latest songs, they apparently need to issue a disclaimer. Bit odd to think that some people claim he's turned a corner...

YAWN
Long-term Morrissey/Smiths fan indie DJ (and TV bloke from the 80s), Gary Crowley, played River Clean on his BBC Radio London show a couple of nights ago. Said "I love this track" and was alerted to it by a couple of people (implying he hadn't bothered with the album). At the end he said (paraphrase) "that's a great track... if you can ignore all the other stuff about him".
Radio 4 comedy show tonight 6:30pm - comedian talked about how we breathe in billions of atoms in our lives. Probably the same ones that made up Oscar Wilde and Adolf Hitler - "that would explain Morrissey" (cue the biggest laugh of the evening).

That's where we are folks in 2020. Morrissey has become a cultural byword for the far right and racism. And when presenters do dare to play his latest songs, they apparently need to issue a disclaimer. Bit odd to think that some people claim he's turned a corner...

Any jokes about Jimmy Page, Bowie, Mick Jagger and their favourite child, Lori Maddox/Maddix?

Of course there wasn't.

Legally supporting a political party though? That's just plain evil...

It is turning a corner. Corners don't mean the issue has gone away.

Let’s be kind and say some people are unsophisticated, and paint with very broad strokes.

I've been narky today because the Edinburgh festivals finally extinguished all hope of spending my August drinking gin. I haven't seen an August for years. 'Aye, just say something about New Order, Surface, I'll new order you.' *weeps*

I will try to be nice.

?????

There really isnt a way morrissey can recover from this now, he will always be regarded as a racist wheather people agree or not, and lets face it he doesn't really care, as dog on a chain explains...... also i think he has given up on the uk nearly altogether, no promotion for his last two albums, can't remember if he was here for low in high school.....he was seen out and about in England when these albums were released but clearly couldn't be arsed to get on the BBC for a 5 minute slot on radio 2, jools Holland, Jonathan Ross, ect..

There really isnt a way morrissey can recover from this now, he will always be regarded as a racist wheather people agree or not, and lets face it he doesn't really care, as dog on a chain explains...... also i think he has given up on the uk nearly altogether, no promotion for his last two albums, can't remember if he was here for low in high school.....he was seen out and about in England when these albums were released but clearly couldn't be arsed to get on the BBC for a 5 minute slot on radio 2, jools Holland, Jonathan Ross, ect..
I’m sure he would’ve been delighted to do promotional slots. I suspect he wasn’t asked; both Holland and Ross are on yellow cards.

Technically he was touring in the build up to album's release and the preparations, rehearsals that go with that. Remember he was supposed to be in New York too on day of album release but lockdown happened a day after Wembley gig so a lot going on.
I totally disagree with the first lines of your post but it's a case of repeat repeat repeat and if that's what you think I can't change your mind. I'm a long standing fan and nothing will change my mind.

I’m sure he would’ve been delighted to promotional slots. I suspect he wasn’t asked; both Holland and Ross are on yellow cards.

I don't think he's doing appearances or interviews at the moment. They'd definitely book him if he'd speak.

There really isnt a way morrissey can recover from this now, he will always be regarded as a racist wheather people agree or not, and lets face it he doesn't really care, as dog on a chain explains......
I think he actually cares a lot (this is Morrissey we're talking about). But, sadly, I think your main point is correct. And, whether people think the vitriol against him is justified, nobody can doubt that he did this to himself.

I agree with Morrissey that his views are the norm in England, a country where The Sun is the biggest-selling newspaper and the Conservative Party won the last general election by a landslide. But Morrissey's typical fans aren't right-wing Brexit supporters. I've never seen somebody go to such great lengths to alienate their own fan base before.

I don't think he's doing appearances or interviews at the moment. They'd definitely book him if he'd speak.

ahaha. you think they will invite a For-Britain supporter on tv? lol

Yes, he is doing interviews only with family members plus Fiona

I think he actually cares a lot (this is Morrissey we're talking about). But, sadly, I think your main point is correct. And, whether people think the vitriol against him is justified, nobody can doubt that he did this to himself.

I agree with Morrissey that his views are the norm in England, a country where The Sun is the biggest-selling newspaper and the Conservative Party won the last general election by a landslide. But Morrissey's typical fans aren't right-wing Brexit supporters. I've never seen somebody go to such great lengths to alienate their own fan base before.

The majority of the UK (52%) voted Brexit. It has nothing to do with being left/right wing or centre. We voted to leave the European Union & take back our rights to govern ourselves, take back control of our borders, our laws, & our money. Brexit isn't/wasn't a right wing movement, so please educate yourself & stop spouting ill informed rubbish.

Tags
i am not a dog on a chain info

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom