New Morrissey song played on BBC radio (with disclaimer) + Morrissey ridiculed on BBC R4 show

Long-term Morrissey/Smiths fan indie DJ (and TV bloke from the 80s), Gary Crowley, played River Clean on his BBC Radio London show a couple of nights ago. Said "I love this track" and was alerted to it by a couple of people (implying he hadn't bothered with the album). At the end he said (paraphrase) "that's a great track... if you can ignore all the other stuff about him".
Radio 4 comedy show tonight 6:30pm - comedian talked about how we breathe in billions of atoms in our lives. Probably the same ones that made up Oscar Wilde and Adolf Hitler - "that would explain Morrissey" (cue the biggest laugh of the evening).
That's where we are folks in 2020. Morrissey has become a cultural byword for the far right and racism. And when presenters do dare to play his latest songs, they apparently need to issue a disclaimer. Bit odd to think that some people claim he's turned a corner...

I think he actually cares a lot (this is Morrissey we're talking about). But, sadly, I think your main point is correct. And, whether people think the vitriol against him is justified, nobody can doubt that he did this to himself.

I agree with Morrissey that his views are the norm in England, a country where The Sun is the biggest-selling newspaper and the Conservative Party won the last general election by a landslide. But Morrissey's typical fans aren't right-wing Brexit supporters. I've never seen somebody go to such great lengths to alienate their own fan base before.

Amen.

The majority of the UK (52%) voted Brexit. It has nothing to do with being left/right wing or centre. We voted to leave the European Union & take back our rights to govern ourselves, take back control of our borders, our laws, & our money. Brexit isn't/wasn't a right wing movement, so please educate yourself & stop spouting ill informed rubbish.

"take back our rights to govern ourselves, take back control of our borders, our laws, & our money." Ok i believe you that youre not a rightwinger. Forgive me for ever considering that. lol

The majority of the UK (52%) voted Brexit. It has nothing to do with being left/right wing or centre. We voted to leave the European Union & take back our rights to govern ourselves, take back control of our borders, our laws, & our money. Brexit isn't/wasn't a right wing movement, so please educate yourself & stop spouting ill informed rubbish.
I agree with you. I think there are very strong left-wing reasons for leaving the European Union and I was on the fence about it before I eventually voted to remain (I'm centre-left politically).

But Morrissey's "controversial" views about race and immigration are textbook right-wing and his "typical fans" aren't Brexit supporters. Brexit is also associated with the political right due to the way it was framed in the media and it's strong spokespeople who are definitely right-wing (Farage, Johnson, Murdoch, etc.). It's undeniable that Brexit became a left/right issue in most people's minds.

Last edited:
"take back our rights to govern ourselves, take back control of our borders, our laws, & our money." Ok i believe you that youre not a rightwinger. Forgive me for ever considering that. lol

Oh please grow up, which part of voting for Brexit makes anyone a right winger? It's done, get over it, it's happening... if you are even part of the UK population at all. Taking back control of those things was the strapline to the campaign, and which 52% of the UK voted on.

Taking back control of those things was the strapline to the campaign, and which 52% of the UK voted on.
37.4%.
Oh and...
LR-by-party-768x558.jpg

There really isnt a way morrissey can recover from this now, he will always be regarded as a racist wheather people agree or not, and lets face it he doesn't really care, as dog on a chain explains...... also i think he has given up on the uk nearly altogether, no promotion for his last two albums, can't remember if he was here for low in high school.....he was seen out and about in England when these albums were released but clearly couldn't be arsed to get on the BBC for a 5 minute slot on radio 2, jools Holland, Jonathan Ross, ect..

He will recover because it's an overreaction & doesn't have any real weight to it.

The joke doesn't pivot on him being a racist, it pivots on him being unfathomable. And you wouldn't say a song was great if you were fully committed to casting someone out forever.

He'll probably find something else to annoy people with.

He will recover because it's an overreaction & doesn't have any real weight to it.

The joke doesn't pivot on him being a racist, it pivots on him being unfathomable. And you wouldn't say a song was great if you were fully committed to casting someone out forever.

I think it's all 'prodding' to see if he'll 'reveal' himself...which he won't of course. I think he prefers to remain an enigma, but that kind of thing comes at a price, sadly.

The reaction has happened. Unless he unequivocally repudiates his previous views he will be stuck with them forever.

If he really goes looking for things to say simply to annoy people then there's something wrong with him, don't you think?

I think it's all 'prodding' to see if he'll 'reveal' himself...which he won't of course. I think he prefers to remain an enigma, but that kind of thing comes at a price, sadly.
I don't think he is an enigma. In fact I think he has hidden shallows.

Wearing a For-Britain Badge labeled him racists for ever.
Are you having a Thewlis moment today?

ahaha. you think they will invite a For-Britain supporter on tv? lol

Yes, he is doing interviews only with family members plus Fiona

Have you seen British TV? They'd get Psychic Sally to interview Hitler's ghost.

when you cross Osacr Wilde with Adolf Hitler you get Morrissey in the end? haha, could be.

20200401_181137.jpg

Joe via Jesse - Radio 2 not appearing to have any issue.
Regards,
FWD.

Yawn, wondered how long it'd take you to put your knitting down & respond...I saw you browsing this thread under your master's name...let me amend it:

52% of the UK population who voted, voted to leave, ergo 48% of those who voted, voted remain.

Those who couldn't be arsed to vote at all, yet were 'remainers' at heart, are now crying in their beer.

So what's your point? Surely you're not disputing the actual result now are you? It's over. It's done.

Additionally, if you'd scrolled up, and I'm sure you did, you would have noticed this "The majority of the UK (52%) voted Brexit." which is what I stated earlier...but you knew that, right?

Yawn, wondered how long it'd take you to put your knitting down & respond...I saw you browsing this thread under your master's name...let me amend it:

52% of the UK population who voted, voted to leave, ergo 48% of those who voted, voted remain.

Those who couldn't be arsed to vote at all, yet were 'remainers' at heart, are now crying in their beer.

So what's your point? Surely you're not disputing the actual result now are you? It's over. It's done.
Merely correcting your incorrect assertion. Carry on, I'm sure you will be wrong again in a moment.

I’m sure he would’ve been delighted to do promotional slots. I suspect he wasn’t asked; both Holland and Ross are on yellow cards.
This is what annoys me the most about moz, no promotional work , advertisement, nothin generated to cause a musical storm , its just a lack of everything in this department, he just hasn't kept up with the modern world and has been left behind. I don't give a rat's arse about his views, never have. Someone in the moz camp needs to get fingers out to push him more into the limelight, but I suspect its mozs fault as he won't employ anyone to push his face in to anywhere, or media promotion. .......

Tags
i am not a dog on a chain info

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom