Newbie with question

Saxy

Hello all,

I'm new to the forum and a fairly recent convert to the world of Morrissey adoration.

I know this is probably discussed to death (or possibly not) but I have a questioning concerning Smiths tracks.

Has anyone discovered the easiest/ cheapest way of owning all Smiths tracks on CD or MP3 format?

I currently own QiD, HoH, MiM and the two "best" albums and am wondering whether I should bother buying the first album and Strangeways or whether there is some easier way of getting the tracks I'm missing elsewhere.

I suppose my question is, apart from owning everything they've ever released, is there a shortcut to being a Smiths completist?

Thanks in advance!

Yes, you should buy them!

Coinsidentally Smiths albums are reissued in vinyl format recently which are also remastered.

I don't know which country you live, but most of European countries' public libraries you can borrow CDs.

Hello all,

I'm new to the forum and a fairly recent convert to the world of Morrissey adoration.

I know this is probably discussed to death (or possibly not) but I have a questioning concerning Smiths tracks.

Has anyone discovered the easiest/ cheapest way of owning all Smiths tracks on CD or MP3 format?

I currently own QiD, HoH, MiM and the two "best" albums and am wondering whether I should bother buying the first album and Strangeways or whether there is some easier way of getting the tracks I'm missing elsewhere.

I suppose my question is, apart from owning everything they've ever released, is there a shortcut to being a Smiths completist?

Thanks in advance!

Hi, welcome to the forum,
You can pick up the cd's at 2 for £10 at HMV, if you want them on cd. You can get all of the album reissues there so in a sense you can 'complete' your Smiths releases for around £20 if youve already got a few albums.
Theirs also play.com, hmv online which is sometimes cheaper then instore, and other music websites which offer them all around mid price level most of the time.

if your just after the mp3's you can just download them via itunes or (holds breath) limewire for free :eek:,
Spotify is a application too which you cant download them but you can stream near enough most songs from any artist albeit for an advert being played after 10 song plays.

If you get very obsessed with the Smiths and Morrissey then you can collect the singles aswell to complete your own collection, then go for promo's test pressings etc, different people have different ideas of completing their own collection, though if you do move on to other releases other than albums then you'll soon find out that your cash cow will have to be milked thoroughly.
Hope this helps somewhat.
Have fun!

Thanks majic jonson!

So am I right in thinking that the first album, Strangeways and WWL are all I need to have a complete collection (minus B-sides)?

I have Spotify but would be interested in a good download programme. I tunes seems a bit limited in terms of its Smiths output, is Limewire any better?

Thanks majic jonson!

So am I right in thinking that the first album, Strangeways and WWL are all I need to have a complete collection (minus B-sides)?

I have Spotify but would be interested in a good download programme. I tunes seems a bit limited in terms of its Smiths output, is Limewire any better?

If your going to go the illegal route (and trust me, most new fans do) I would definitely stay away from Limewire altogether. Apart from leaving many of your personal files open to the world, it's absolutely rammed with spyware, viruses and all kinds of nasty shit. Many torrent sites have complete Smiths and Moz discographies all bundled up in a nice neat package, minus the security worries.

Happy pillaging!

An "in-joke" I presume? :straightface:

The question new people usually ask is "who's Julia?"
If you are curious, you can key in any information regarding band members, past events, people or songs ect into the seach button, hopefully you may get some correct or some rather vague answers.

As for you, I would start my collection by working backwards. Buy Years Of Refusal first:guitar:
you can also listen to all his albums on Spotify for free (you just can't download or buy).
I love the artwork and having the CD's and Vinyl's in my hands so I wouldn't steal.
It's Morrissey money.:straightface:
amazon is cheap

The question new people usually ask is "who's Julia?"
If you are curious, you can key in any information regarding band members, past events, people or songs ect into the seach button, hopefully you may get some correct or some rather vague answers.

As for you, I would start my collection by working backwards. Buy Years Of Refusal first:guitar:
you can also listen to all his albums on Spotify for free (you just can't download or buy).
I love the artwork and having the CD's and Vinyl's in my hands so I wouldn't steal.
It's Morrissey money.:straightface:
amazon is cheap

Thanks.

Actually I have all the Mozza studio albums from Your Arsenal onwards, apart from Southpaw and Maladjusted.

I like having the stuff too, but I am also a bit of a cheapskate.

Thanks.

Actually I have all the Mozza studio albums from Your Arsenal onwards, apart from Southpaw and Maladjusted.

I like having the stuff too, but I am also a bit of a cheapskate.

oh, sorry. it's The smith Cd's you want, I always use Amazon or Record Store.co.uk

If you just have the MP3s, you're missing out on the album artwork. As lainey said, it's good to have the sleeves. Morrissey put a lot of work into them and I've always found them to be an interesting complement to the music. Not only do I recommend buying them, I'd specifically recommend buying the vinyl versions.

Last edited:
You may also consider getting the live album ''Rank''.
It is very good (as live albums go) and contains half a cover of Elvis' ''Marie's the name (of his latest flame) - before morfing into '''Rusholme Ruffians''. This is not available anywhere else.

Jukebox Jury

Some very useful tips here, thanks everyone.

I've been reluctant to buy all of the Smiths albums because of the amount of repetition, plus I've heard that a lot of the non-single tracks aren't that good.

Some very useful tips here, thanks everyone.

I've been reluctant to buy all of the Smiths albums because of the amount of repetition, plus I've heard that a lot of the non-single tracks aren't that good.

The quality of the Smiths songs is generally very high, regardless of whether or not they were singles. The solo stuff, on the other hand, has been much more hit and miss, especially post 1994.
If you wanna get an idea as to the best songs overall, you could do worse than check the results of this poll; the biggest ever into every song Morrissey sang between 1983 and 2007.
http://forums.morrissey-solo.com/showthread.php?p=772612

Back
Top Bottom