NME: “Johnny Marr gives his verdict on Blossoms and Rick Astley’s Smiths Covers Band” (September 17, 2021)

Not sure whether Johnny is keen on this or not, he seems pissed off that Blossoms never mentioned it to him when they met a few weeks ago - Well, I met The Blossoms a few weeks ago and they elected to not mention it. Nice.

NME article kindly supplied by @This Charming Bowie:

(2 separate discussions merged).

Related items:

He will (to some extent) be more interested in the film I expect. And he’ll probably have some limited publicity commitments with Hans Zimmer (premiers?), that same week.

I guess if he is really offended, an understandable reason would be that it’s in the same week that he’s likely to have James Bond related media work.

And in the moment he wants to talk about Vic Flick, he now knows he’ll be asked about Rick Astley. Which clearly might be irritating.

when would that not be irritating? Lol :lbf:

Anyway, Blossoms shot themselves
in the toes with Marr’s non-blessings to the whole affair. If they told him instead of keeping it secret from him, then I’m sure his reaction and tweet may have been possibly more positive.

in the toes with Marr’s non-blessings to the whole affair. If they told him instead of keeping it secret from him, then I’m sure his reaction and tweets may have been possibly more positive.
Yes, with hindsight it might’ve been better for them if they’d kept him in the loop.

If this becomes front page @Famous when dead is it possible to move the discussions of Marr’s tweet from this thread ..

to here ? They seem to be relevant to each other.

I think FWD should "Set the thread free".

in the toes with Marr’s non-blessings to the whole affair. If they told him instead of keeping it secret from him, then I’m sure his reaction and tweet may have been possibly more positive.

Yes, they missed a trick there, it hasn't impacted the interest in the gigs though as apparently they sold out in 8 mins. It does make you wonder how big the interest would be in seeing the real deal.

If this becomes front page @Famous when dead is it possible to move the discussions of Marr’s tweet from this thread ..

to here ? They seem to be relevant to each other.
Unfortunately, as it goes by time stamp, the earlier discussion will 'overtake' the NME post - one moment.
If @This Charming Bowie & @Surface will indulge me, will add them all together and change bits.
FWD.

Yes, they missed a trick there, it hasn't impacted the interest in the gigs though as apparently they sold out in 8 mins.

Yeah, of course not. Don’t think Johnny’s tweet will make folks demand a refund or start a boycott of the shows. But for some it will surely taint the event and maybe make some younger folk question why Marr is not looking favorably on it.

It does make you wonder how big the interest would be in seeing the real deal.

I think there will always be interest in a reunion, for different reasons, and not all good.

Could this trigger a reunion? In all seriousness it’s one thing to do a cover but to hold two gigs playing exclusively smiths songs seems abit dodgy, especially if they only met him recently and forgot to mention it

I think you were being tongue-in-cheek in asking the question so this isn't directed at you specifically, but it would be helpful for all if someone created a flowchart where every pathway to a Smiths reunion ultimately leads back to "NO."

Last edited:

I think Blossoms knowing him socially and not telling him they are doing two concerts of his songs is like throwing a birthday party for someone and not inviting them.

'Humour' abounds.
FWD.

Ok so he’s not upset with Rick or anyone covering the songs. That’s cool.

Though he was obviously upset they kept it secret from him. So you think he’s sore that they didn’t invite him also?

And what does he mean by there’s ‘a back story’ ? does he mean it being kept a secret from him is the back story to why he tweeted what he did? And saying ‘that’s that’ seems to suggest that he won’t explain why he tweeted what he did about it being both ‘funny’ and ‘horrible’.

Think you’re re trying to make something out of nothing here, the back story is that he was with them a few weeks ago and they never mentioned that thay were going to play a couple of Smiths songs with Rick. If he offered to play with them I’m sure they would be elated.

Ok so he’s not upset with Rick or anyone covering the songs. That’s cool.

Though he was obviously upset they kept it secret from him. So you think he’s sore that they didn’t invite him also?

And what does he mean by there’s ‘a back story’ ? does he mean it being kept a secret from him is the back story to why he tweeted what he did? And saying ‘that’s that’ seems to suggest that he won’t explain why he tweeted what he did about it being both ‘funny’ and ‘horrible’.

He thought it was shit - got a bad reaction - did a reverse ferret to take the heat off. Will seethe in private.

Think you’re re trying to make something out of nothing here,
I could see how you’d think that, given our history here. Actually I’m trying to understand what he’s getting at, a bit cryptic.
the back story is that he was with them a few weeks ago and they never mentioned that thay were going to play a couple of Smiths songs with Rick. If he offered to play with them I’m sure they would be elated.

Then why did he describe in his tweet the cover by Rick and Bloss
As ‘funny and horrible’ ? Obviously
nothing positive in that tweet.

And now he saying he has no problem with people doing covers.

Contradictory, no ?

He thought it was shit - got a bad reaction - did a reverse ferret to take the heat off. Will seethe in private.

Yes. That seems to be the case.

I was proud of Johnny earlier,
speaking his mind FINALLY, but now he’s scared maybe he’s gonna hurt someone’s feelings ( damage his career?) running away with his tail between his legs. :(

MAN UP MARR !!!

Thank god we have Ketamine and Nerak, self-certified masters of unpacking ambiguity, on the case yet again to let everyone know exactly what someone else is thinking.

Yes. That seems to be the case.

I was proud of Johnny earlier,
speaking his mind FINALLY, but now he’s scared maybe he’s gonna hurt someone’s feelings ( damage his career?) running away with his tail between his legs. :(

MAN UP MARR !!!

I know! It's interesting when you see his temper.

To be fair though, I was traumatised enough just watching Janey Godley get destroyed on Twitter & she's a cow to me in real life.

I get the fear.

Thank god we have Ketamine and Nerak, self-certified masters of unpacking ambiguity, on the case yet again to let everyone know exactly what someone else is thinking.

Verso, he slagged it, got angry tweets & then changed his opinion.

It's not rocket science.

We have the beginning & the end - so here's the middle.

20210917_214705.jpg

Tags
blossoms johnny marr nme rick astley smiths

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom