NME: "Does Rock ‘N’ Roll Kill Braincells?! - Boy George" - Morrissey mentions (November 20, 2020)

Boy-George-Nov-2020-by-Dean-Stockings-02USE--1392x885.jpg

Does Rock ‘N’ Roll Kill Braincells?! – Boy George

In Does Rock ‘N’ Roll Kill Braincells?!, we quiz a grizzled artist on their own career to see how much they can remember – and find out if the booze, loud music and/or tour sweeties has knocked the knowledge out of them. This week: Boy George.

...(relevant parts quoted only)...

Anyone who slagged you off that you had a laugh about it with later?

“I had tea with Morrissey in Paris in the early ‘80s and he called me ‘overbearing’.
At the time, I didn’t find it funny – now I do. I still love Morrissey and The Smiths even though I don’t love what he’s saying at the moment, but I put that into grumpy old man category. I saw him again years later and he was very sweet to me because I’d written something about how ‘Maladjusted’, one of his most critically-derided albums, is actually one of his best. He looked at me, raised an eyebrow and went: ‘’Maladjusted‘?’ (Laughs) I’m there quoting him lyrics trying to convince him it’s a f***ing great album!”

Bonus question! For a half-point: In 1985, Smash Hits readers voted you Prat of the Year. Name anyone else in the Top 10.
“Was Holly Johnson in it?”

CORRECT. Frankie Goes To Hollywood are at Number Eight – frontman Holly Johnson is also Number 12.

(Laughs) She’s going to kill me! Was George Michael in it as well?”

Yes – he’s second! The others are: Black Lace (3), Simon Le Bon from Duran Duran (4) Neil from The Young Ones (5), National Union of Mineworkers president Arthur Scargill (6), DJ Mike Read (7), Divine (9) and Morrissey (10).

“I’m in fabulous company! Divine and Morrissey alone fills me with joy. I’ve got a Divine tattoo on my arm. Before I was famous, I was on the King’s Road with Marilyn and we spotted Divine – in her civvies – and ran after her, gushing: ‘We love you!’. She was so sweet – and completely stoned! She did a concert at Heaven where she said onstage: ‘I need to get myself a new Rolls-Royce – so I can drive it over Boy George!’ (Laughs) I loved someone I admired mentioning me. It was a shame that when I became famous, she never knew what a massive influence she was in my life as a teenager.”

Full article:

Regards,
FWD.

Photographer = Roland Tannler.
The 'table' image (seen in Mojo - April, 2001) became an 8x10 promo photo too.
Regards,
FWD.
Thank you!

The one used in Mojo is in fact slightly different from the one I already posted.

MozTannler1997table.jpg

I used to come here as redpathetic, and in the chatroom as redpathy.

Unless Morrissey releases something new soon, we’re condemned to reading such witless, pointless, comments for months. Maybe years.
I know! Something has to be done. It's an emergency.
He released a digital single 10 days ago.

The chances of getting "new" material while 4/5 of his band are stuck on another continent and he has no record label are obviously very small.

My hope is that I'll actually get to use my Paris ticket at some point in the next 12 months.

It's not something I put a lot of effort into creating, I just like this picture and thought it represents the title quite well.
And the original cover is one of his worst in my opinion.

View attachment 65825

I agree with you. I really like this cover. Would have been so much better. This session produced some "odd" photos but somehow likeable to the eye. One of those was even used in a shady Indonesina bootleg.
Original Maladjusted plus Dog on a Chain are his worst covers by a mile.

Attachments

• Unofficial Indonesian.jpg
    Unofficial Indonesian.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
He released a digital single 10 days ago.

The chances of getting "new" material while 4/5 of his band are stuck on another continent and he has no record label are obviously very small.

My hope is that I'll actually get to use my Paris ticket at some point in the next 12 months.
Bands have overcome the challenges presented by the recent health scare, with ease. The lack of a label should also be a minor hurdle, in principle, especially if you’ve had your own for four years.

Nevertheless, I accept the issues will presently be monumental and catastrophic for Morrissey. It’s partly why we love him—and it’s why we hold onto tickets for dates which we know won’t happen.

He’s at a cross roads; the way to success is smooth and well marked. Morrissey will doubtless go the other route. But that’s our loss as much as his. And I can’t not feel it.

It was recorded but the song never made it into the Top 30 singles so wasn't shown on Top Of The Pops at the time. It was finally broadcast on TOTP2 several years later with Mozzer's favourite DJ Steve Wright introducing it. It's a bit more upbeat tune than the recorded version, sounds great!
Wow. What a gem!

I think dog on a chains cover art is fantastic. A pic blown up out of proportion for examination so extremely that it distorts the image you’re trying to examine. A fitting sign of his times

I wonder if he ever got his leg over a window cleaner? My post man keeps living in hope. 🤨
Only if he ever managed to overcome his shyness 😉

"Let’s talk about the window cleaner. I’m still in the position that when the window cleaner calls, I have to go in another room than the one he is cleaning. It’s very silly. At the time I feel like a bespectacled six-year-old."

(From Paul Morley's "Wilde Child", Blitz, April 1988)

Bands have overcome the challenges presented by the recent health scare, with ease. The lack of a label should also be a minor hurdle, in principle, especially if you’ve had your own for four years.

Nevertheless, I accept the issues will presently be monumental and catastrophic for Morrissey. It’s partly why we love him—and it’s why we hold onto tickets for dates which we know won’t happen.

He’s at a cross roads; the way to success is smooth and well marked. Morrissey will doubtless go the other route. But that’s our loss as much as his. And I can’t not feel it.
That was my point. Other bands have, but Morrissey won't.

Wow. What a gem!
Indeed it is! Seems kinda strange that the TOTP folk would get Moz and the Lads in the studio to film the song being sung then not show it because it didn't make Top 30 on release, then dig it out the vaults and show it several years later on TOTP2. Wonder how often that happened with bands/singers 🤔

Indeed it is! Seems kinda strange that the TOTP folk would get Moz and the Lads in the studio to film the song being sung then not show it because it didn't make Top 30 on release, then dig it out the vaults and show it several years later on TOTP2. Wonder how often that happened with bands/singers 🤔
Let’s face it, it wouldn’t happen to Madonna. And it probably wouldn’t even happen to Jedward. It seems really rude to do that.

I think it’s because he did Alma Matters for TOTP so they recorded it at the same time, but it actually didn’t make the top 40, so they had no reason to show it.

I think it’s because he did Alma Matters for TOTP so they recorded it at the same time, but it actually didn’t make the top 40, so they had no reason to show it.
But how could that fit into the show’s format?

Let’s face it, it wouldn’t happen to Madonna. And it probably wouldn’t even happen to Jedward. It seems really rude to do that.
Yeah it does, I guess they had criteria but they could have broadcast it with a 'NEW RELEASE' from Morrissey tag which would've got round the issue of not breaking into Top 30, not that difficult really.

What, you mean the recording? He probably told them it was the next single, expected it to make the charts, & then it didn’t.
It’s just that in the studio the presenters tended to stand in the vicinity of the stage, introduce the band, and then direct the camera towards the latter. You couldn’t do that with a recording. Or had ToTPs changed by ‘97? I was long over watching by then.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom