NME: "Does Rock ‘N’ Roll Kill Braincells?! - Boy George" - Morrissey mentions (November 20, 2020)

Boy-George-Nov-2020-by-Dean-Stockings-02USE--1392x885.jpg

Does Rock ‘N’ Roll Kill Braincells?! – Boy George

In Does Rock ‘N’ Roll Kill Braincells?!, we quiz a grizzled artist on their own career to see how much they can remember – and find out if the booze, loud music and/or tour sweeties has knocked the knowledge out of them. This week: Boy George.

...(relevant parts quoted only)...

Anyone who slagged you off that you had a laugh about it with later?

“I had tea with Morrissey in Paris in the early ‘80s and he called me ‘overbearing’.
At the time, I didn’t find it funny – now I do. I still love Morrissey and The Smiths even though I don’t love what he’s saying at the moment, but I put that into grumpy old man category. I saw him again years later and he was very sweet to me because I’d written something about how ‘Maladjusted’, one of his most critically-derided albums, is actually one of his best. He looked at me, raised an eyebrow and went: ‘’Maladjusted‘?’ (Laughs) I’m there quoting him lyrics trying to convince him it’s a f***ing great album!”

Bonus question! For a half-point: In 1985, Smash Hits readers voted you Prat of the Year. Name anyone else in the Top 10.
“Was Holly Johnson in it?”

CORRECT. Frankie Goes To Hollywood are at Number Eight – frontman Holly Johnson is also Number 12.

(Laughs) She’s going to kill me! Was George Michael in it as well?”

Yes – he’s second! The others are: Black Lace (3), Simon Le Bon from Duran Duran (4) Neil from The Young Ones (5), National Union of Mineworkers president Arthur Scargill (6), DJ Mike Read (7), Divine (9) and Morrissey (10).

“I’m in fabulous company! Divine and Morrissey alone fills me with joy. I’ve got a Divine tattoo on my arm. Before I was famous, I was on the King’s Road with Marilyn and we spotted Divine – in her civvies – and ran after her, gushing: ‘We love you!’. She was so sweet – and completely stoned! She did a concert at Heaven where she said onstage: ‘I need to get myself a new Rolls-Royce – so I can drive it over Boy George!’ (Laughs) I loved someone I admired mentioning me. It was a shame that when I became famous, she never knew what a massive influence she was in my life as a teenager.”

Full article:

Regards,
FWD.

Exactly.

And the musical director also not being in the same place as the rest of the band makes it even less likely that anything will be recorded.

I guess if any live dates do happen, thinking his new label can reissue IANADOAC. With extra tracks. Just an idea.

I guess if any live dates do happen, thinking his new label will just reissue IANADOAC. With extra tracks. Just an idea.
I'm still waiting for his cover of Rainbow Valley to be released to be honest. 😅

And I wonder if there's more surplus material from both the California Son and doggo sessions...

I guess if any live dates do happen, thinking his new label can reissue IANADOAC. With extra tracks. Just an idea.
Also, his new label probably couldn't reissue I Am Not A Dog On A Chain because the back catalogue is still with BMG...?

or That’s Entertainment’!

:mad::lbf:
I'm far more interested in Rainbow Valley. I adore the original.

I can wait another couple of months for the mystery "1993/1994/2020-new instrumentation/old vocal (?)-version" of That's Entertainment.

I'm far more interested in Rainbow Valley. I adore the original.

I can wait another couple of months for the mystery "1993/1994/2020-new instrumentation/old vocal (?)-version" of That's Entertainment.

another couple months? Shouldn’t it have been released with Cosmic Dancer?

Morrissey recording vocals/sessions in the same place as the band for the last few albums would tend to indicate he prefers being in the same geographical location as everyone when recording and doesn't stay elsewhere and phone it in.
So, proximity appears to have some bearing on recording - to Morrissey himself.
FWD.
Interlude? And some of the collaborating vocalists on California Sun weren’t in the same studio, I don’t think? Nevertheless, I recognise where there’s no will there is no way.

I think Nerak and I were just accepting that something new (and I’ve owned a fair Vinyl bootleg of the Bowie duet for 25 years) might revive the conversation here and avert stagnation.

I assume, with some confidence, that influential people might soon be looking at this place a little harder than usual. And I also assume some of the more negative contributors have their tails up, accordingly. Something ‘new’ would revitalise the pages.

I’ve already highlighted that (from my experience) things change fast in the world of Morrissey. But, as bullish as I am, I don’t doubt they can get worse quickly—as well as better.

another couple months? Shouldn’t it have been released with Cosmic Dancer?
It's the B-side (well, actually AA) on the 7" and that one will be released at the end of January or February 2021 (depending on which source you choose to believe...)

Morrissey recording vocals/sessions in the same place as the band for the last few albums would tend to indicate he prefers being in the same geographical location as everyone when recording and doesn't stay elsewhere and phone it in.
So, proximity appears to have some bearing on recording - to Morrissey himself.
FWD.

Joe C. has said several times that Morrissey is NOT the kind of singer who just pops in to lay down his vocal and then go away, but that he is involved in the entire process even though he is not all the time around when his musicians are working on the tracks. So that covers the last 4 albums.

But hasn't that been the process since the start?

How is distance a factor, when Morrissey doesn’t write any of the music? He’s always let the band do their thing and then popped by to phone in his vocal tracks. This can be easily done without ever appearing in the same room.

Can you imagine Morrissey buying his microphone, setting it up in his (hotel) room, then recording his vocal take and sending it to his co-writers via the internet? It's beyond mine:)

Interlude? And some of the collaborating vocalists on California Sun weren’t in the same studio, I don’t think? Nevertheless, I recognise where there’s no will there is no way.
Siouxsie and the guest singers can hardly be considered part of the band though, can they?

Joe C. has said several times that Morrissey is NOT the kind of singer who just pops in to lay down his vocal and then go away, but that he is involved in the entire process even though he is not all the time around when his musicians are working on the tracks. So that covers the last 4 albums.

But hasn't that been the process since the start?
Yes.

It's also not true that he has no influence on the recording process, according to several producers and musicians over the years.

Last edited:
Can you imagine Morrissey buying his microphone, setting it up in his (hotel) room, then recording his vocal take and sending it to his co-writers via the internet? It's beyond mine:)

The suitcase studio... 😏 💼 🎤

Last edited:
He let everyone one know, at Nottingham Rock City, in 1999, that he was “Never” going to perform This Charming Man ever again. No chance. We, the audience, were left in no doubt. A decade later, he’s singing it at every gig.

I think for me, the question is not his recording methods but a broader one about his situation and compromises he may or may not be prepared to make.

In principle, I believe Morrissey is often surprisingly flexible. It just depends on what he perceives the stakes are. I’d say that things are as bad now, for him, as they were in 1997–with the added issue of age being against him. Now is not the time for holding anything back. As it is, I’m waiting for a 28 year old recording I already own to come out—in a couple of months time. And I’m not even convinced that’s going to happen.

Can you imagine someone with a near 50 year career as a vocalist, through the advent of digital recording and the proliferation of long-distance collaboration not having a microphone and basic home/portable studio rig?

I think he'd be very confused.

And I'm not sure he lives near anyone who would be less confused.

I think he'd be very confused.

And I'm not sure he lives near anyone who would be less confused.
"We would like to record a new song but we don't know how."

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom