No horse sausages (or no Morrissey) during Belgian concert

No-horse-sausages-(or-no-Morrissey)-during-Belgian-concert - side-line.com

On August 4 the Belgian festival 'Lokerse Feesten' has Morrissey on the bill. Nothing special if it weren't for the fact that in order for Morrissey to play there, the festival agreed to close down all the stalls where meat is being served - during the whole day that is. So if you planned watching Morrissey whilst eating one of the delicious local made ham or horse sausages, then make sure to get one the day before or after because that festival day will be meat-free due to the ex-Smith singer going onstage.

The organizers were rather quick in accepting Morrissey's rather freaky demand, probably because they remembered that he once canceled a concert at Pinkpop back in 1987 because the organization's subcontractors providing the food did not want to close their hamburger stalls.

It will be the first time that Morrissey plays at a Belgian festival since he went solo.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like when Mozzer flexes the no meat muscle. He pulls a lot of diva like bull shit that I don't have the patience for these days but when it comes to his steadfast support of animal rights, there is no equal. Good for you Moz.

That's a damn shame on account of listening to Morrissey always makes me hunger for a horse burger!

I love his music, but the man is freaky and wrong. First of all, he has the right to demand whatever he likes, but the organizers' attitude is unnecesarily self-humiliating.

Second, vegetarianism is a respectable option, but what Morrissey and all vegetarians fail to understand is that it is not a moral issue. Whatever you say, killing animals to eat is not wrong. In many places they are ill treated and ill fed, but that's another issue. You can breed an animal with respect, kill it with respect and eat it with respect. You are not a better person for not eating meat; you are morally better or worse depending on how you treat people around you, and also animals.

Third, attack meat eaters and justify terrorists is hypocritical and morally despicable. It seems that Morrissey prefers animals to human beings killed by terrorists. That is Morrissey at his lowest. Even worse than "Maladjusted".

Nice one Morrissey! Please do this for all your UK shows!

Horse sausages? Really? As if Ham isn't bad enough. Good God. :sick:

the meat free day was not a demand of Morrissey but an idea of the organisers. They explained it on Belgian radio (studio Brussel) last week.
The organisers suggested themselves to have a "veggie- day" because they were hoping that would be an extra argument for getting Morrissey to their festival.
and it worked ! so Morrissey is not so extraordinary as the media suggested!

That's so Mozzy! No horse sausage means "no meat" as well as "no sex", non?

"Whatever you say, killing animals to eat is not wrong. "

Yes it f***ing well is.

Doubt Morrissey is making all his summer festival venues go meat free. Glastonbury and Hop Farm certainly wouldn't give up their pound of flesh.

Again, Morrissey did NOT demand this. The organization decided a vegetarian day would be a good idea to (finally) get Morrissey to perform at the festival. And after many years of trying he accepted.

I love his music, but the man is freaky and wrong. First of all, he has the right to demand whatever he likes, but the organizers' attitude is unnecesarily self-humiliating.

Second, vegetarianism is a respectable option, but what Morrissey and all vegetarians fail to understand is that it is not a moral issue. Whatever you say, killing animals to eat is not wrong. In many places they are ill treated and ill fed, but that's another issue. You can breed an animal with respect, kill it with respect and eat it with respect. You are not a better person for not eating meat; you are morally better or worse depending on how you treat people around you, and also animals.

Third, attack meat eaters and justify terrorists is hypocritical and morally despicable. It seems that Morrissey prefers animals to human beings killed by terrorists. That is Morrissey at his lowest. Even worse than "Maladjusted".

You can't kill anything with respect. Not a person, not an animal. It's very much a moral issue. If you choose to eat meat, fair enough. Up to you. But if you don't and you have a little power at your disposal then using it to make a point is fine by me. I know meat eaters think vegetarians are, by their very choice of lifestyle, condemning the choices that you make. Maybe we are.

I do think that some of his statements are ludicrous - comparing the killing of animals to the Holocaust is nonsense. But he's an extremist, that's what he thinks. Not eating a burger for a day isn't going to hurt anyone. The planet's resources cannot continue to support the hunger for meat worldwide, which is growing on a daily basis as cheap factory farmed meat is on the rise. Good for him I say.

Pinkpop 1987 was not cancelled because of the hamburger stalls. This is the first time I hear about this in 24 years. It was cancelled because the manager at that time had confirmed that they would play the festival without asking the band and that manager was sacked. And of course The Smiths broke up around that time.
The Festival in Belgium runs for 10 days and its only on the day that Morrissey performs that they have banned horse cocks.

the Pinkpop 1987 story is bullocks

the Smiths split before Pinkpop 1987, they were on the first bill, but scrapped later, cause
the organisation [Jan Smeets, back than, the legend] was aware that the Smiths split up,
but the first flyers were allready out

I bet if someone have one, he/she got a memorable and valueble item

Btw...see some people overreacting, it's well known Morrissey does not want in
the venue where he's gonna play that they're selling eating stuff with meat

If the organisers decided this themself, lot of other people who come for Morrissey
would agree and understand, Morrissey will do 2 nmbrs extra:thumb:

You know, I LOVE Morrissey, and I respect very much that he's an animal rights supporter and supports vegetarianism as I am both myself, but to expect everyone to bend over backwards for his beliefs is a little too egotistical for my taste. I have no problem if people come to me asking questions about why I became vegetarian and helping others become one too, but I don't EXPECT it out of anyone to do as I do. For Moz to do so, is kind of ballsy and ridiculous.

If it was the idea of the organizers, it's even more ridiculous as they could be losing money. As an earlier poster said, a day of not eating meat isn't going to hurt anyone, which it won't but it sure as hell will hurt business at the venue I would imagine.

Last edited:
No, it is not.

No, really, it absolutely is.

Factory farming is vile, cruel and horrifying to the extreme.

Quite simply it is beyond belief that anyone in their right mind could possibly defend the slaughter of our fellow earth dwellers.

You sir / madam are wrong. Meat is murder. Time will prove the vegetarians / vegans of 2011 to be correct.

You can't kill anything with respect. Not a person, not an animal. It's very much a moral issue. If you choose to eat meat, fair enough. Up to you. But if you don't and you have a little power at your disposal then using it to make a point is fine by me. I know meat eaters think vegetarians are, by their very choice of lifestyle, condemning the choices that you make. Maybe we are.

I do think that some of his statements are ludicrous - comparing the killing of animals to the Holocaust is nonsense. But he's an extremist, that's what he thinks. Not eating a burger for a day isn't going to hurt anyone. The planet's resources cannot continue to support the hunger for meat worldwide, which is growing on a daily basis as cheap factory farmed meat is on the rise. Good for him I say.

What a well-reasoned and lucid retort. Most posters would have pressed the Meat is Murder button over and over until their fingers turned numb. I have made it known in the past that I am a meat eater and make no apologies for it, but I can see the vegetarian/Morrissey side of the argument in two respects:

Keeping in mind that you are going to see Morrissey perform...

1. Smoking has been banned in many clubs. Second hand smoke (excluding its unhealthy quality) can be irritating to the singers eyes, throat, etc., which could ultimately affect their performance. It is not that large a leap to make a connection between the cooking of meat and the irritation Morrissey might feel from its aroma. I, for one, want to see him perform at the height of his abilities and want nothing to distract him from this task. I have been in attendance a few times where other irritants i.e. fighting, flying projectiles, have similarly put him off. His scheduled performances always start with the overhanging question mark...will he show? If he does, let's try to keep him there as long as possible.

2. The request not to serve meat is quite removed from an alcoholic singer demanding that no liquor be served when performing at a bar or lounge. I can see it now...the singer looking down through the lights to the horror of a kid drinking a plastic cup of beer, throwing up his arms, speaking "How dare you!" into the microphone and storming off stage. If you want a hamburger or steak the night Morrissey performs, then go to a restaurant and not the venue where he is performing. I was able to make it successfully through his concert in PA last year without eating meat, as I am sure every other carnivore did.

As to the argument, what gives Morrissey the right to demand this? It is completely his right to demand anything he wants, and it is completely the right of the venue to deny his demands. After weighing the consequences, the venue decided to ban the sale of meat. Such is life.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom