Norm MacDonald Laughter Accolades

He made stuff up all the time. He was a story teller. Even his memoir was a work of fiction. But I wonder about the blind guy story. I think he tells it better to Seinfeld. Its a story about shyness and epiphany. It feels almost like a parable. Its about seeing the world as it really is rather then through a lens and how that moment of revelation freed up his inhibition to the point of hysteria. He also talks about falling in love with old paintings. I relate to all this. Being caught up in art in a visceral way. I can be fine, living my life and then it just takes one sad song on the way into work and I feel completely destroyed by it for a week. Then I have to only listen to the beach boys for a while until I feel better.
i liked that story because i was shy like that as a kid. i know that if you're experiencing anxiety or nervousness or a feeling of surrealness (which is the form my anxiety always took) a good way to lessen that is to to touch things around you. apparently going around barefoot helps too because of that contact with the physical world. i can imagine that describing things in the physical world in detail and becoming immersed in trying to imagine how such descriptions would sound to a blind person might have something like the same effect.

i relate to that sensitivity to artistic things as well! movies especially. ill become absolutely obsessed with a certain movie and wont want to watch or think about anything else for days/weeks/months afterward, to the point where any other ideas and plans i had would become aborted if they didnt contribute in some way to that obsession.

also, id just like that to say that im jealous of the woman in that painting! (i wish i knew what painting it was!!)

Tags
norm macdonald
Back
Top Bottom