Paris aspires to be like Croydon

Franzanna

In retirement
Just heard this on BBC London News (it's what I recall of the news item because I couldn't find an online article on there):

French President Nicolas Sarkozy has been looking for inspiration from London to rejuvenate down-at-heel areas of Paris. The president has commissioned British architects to redesign these areas, and the suburb of Croydon in South London has been cited as an aspiration as to what they should be like.

Croydon? Croydon? :sick: Why the Hell would any town want to be like Croydon? I mean, sure, there are trams and record shops. That it all Croydon has to offer. Croydon is just... urgh. Concrete everywhere. It's not inspirational, and that's the thing.

Just heard this on BBC London News (it's what I recall of the news item because I couldn't find an online article on there):

French President Nicolas Sarkozy has been looking for inspiration from London to rejuvenate down-at-heel areas of Paris. The president has commissioned British architects to redesign these areas, and the suburb of Croydon in South London has been cited as an aspiration as to what they should be like.

Croydon? Croydon? :sick: Why the Hell would any town want to be like Croydon? I mean, sure, there are trams and record shops. That it all Croydon has to offer. Croydon is just... urgh. Concrete everywhere. It's not inspirational, and that's the thing.
actually, I quite like Croydon, (as I work there) and I agree about the transformation. If you'd grown up in Bradford, you'd see how horrific a town centre can look if it's left to become run down.

actually, I quite like Croydon, (as I work there) and I agree about the transformation. If you'd grown up in Bradford, you'd see how horrific a town centre can look if it's left to become run down.

Really? I think Croydon's horrible. The trams and record shops are really all I like about it. My sister considers the fact she was born there to be the worst thing about her.

Really? I think Croydon's horrible. The trams and record shops are really all I like about it. My sister considers the fact she was born there to be the worst thing about her.
I really think they've made a good job of it. BELIEVE me when I tell you what a mess bradford is!

Croydon is easily one of my least favourite places within the M25.

Maybe I can ignore how shit the town centre is, because the grimey bit at the back is out of sight, and the awful clientelle of its bars and clubs are only around after dark. But it's just the fact that its bordered by even worse areas like Norwood on one side and the hideous concrete industrial / 'entertainment' parks on the Surrey side that makes it so bleak.

I've never once got the tram either. The 75 bus does the job in 20 minutes if I must go there. I suppose it's for the vile residents of Addington to get to JD Sports.

The Whitgift is pretty nice though I must admit. Even the one F.K.A. the Drummond is OK now.

Still, it's no Champs-Elysées!!!

Maybe Sarkozy was pissed again..:)

I have a friend who's offspring are called Chelsea and Paris.

I think Croydon and Paris would have had more gravitas myself.:guitar:

That's bizarre. I can imagine somewhere rubbish wanting to be like Croydon (setting it's goals low and stuff) but PARIS?! :eek: I'm Throwing My Arms Around Croydon...

To give them credit, I have been to somewhat down-at-heel districts of Paris (Stains comes to mind :D) and they probably aren't any better than central Croydon. Still, Croydon? :confused:

Croydon is not that bad. Cheer up, it could be Milton Keynes. :cool:

I once went out with a girl from Croydon, so that didn't exactly make me think highly of the place.
Where are these record shops? Any chance of finding Moz in them? (I mean his records, I don't expect to see him literally in Croydon - not since February 1995 anyway...)

I once went out with a girl from Croydon, so that didn't exactly make me think highly of the place.
Where are these record shops? Any chance of finding Moz in them? (I mean his records, I don't expect to see him literally in Croydon - not since February 1995 anyway...)

Why oh why did I have to be 10 months old when he came to Croydon? :tears:
There are Beano's and 101 records that I know of. There's also one called Memory Lane that's between the two, but that one doesn't sell much other than 50s and 60s stuff. 101 is behind the Centrale, and Beano's is... I don't know the name of the road, but it's near KFC.

I have a fondness for Croydon because one of my all time favorite singers, may she rest in peace, grew up there- Kirsty MacColl.

Back
Top Bottom