Portland, OR - Schnitzer Concert Hall (Oct. 31, 2017) post-show

Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in.

Setlist:

You'll Be Gone / I Wish You Lonely / I Started Something I Couldn't Finish / Spent The Day In Bed / Alma Matters / Speedway / When You Open Your Legs / Home Is A Question Mark / Istanbul / When Last I Spoke To Carol / How Soon Is Now? / I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris / The Bullfighter Dies / Jack The Ripper / Back On The Chain Gang / World Peace Is None Of Your Business / All The Young People Must Fall In Love / Ganglord / Meat Is Murder / Everyday Is Like Sunday // Suedehead / Shoplifters Of The World Unite

Setlist provided by an anonymous person

• Morrissey Previews New Album at U.S. Tour Opener in Portland on Halloween by Robert Ham - Billboard. Link posted by Famous when dead.
  • Photos by Sam Gehrke Photography (9 total) - Official Morrissey / Facebook. Link posted by Famous when dead.
    41157_portland.jpg
  • Photos (2 total) from @samgehrkephotography / Instagram. Link posted by an anonymous person.
    41158_portland2.jpg

• Chrissie Hynde backdrop during "Back On The Chain Gang" posted by an anonymous person:
    41136_back_on_the_chain_gang_backdrop.jpg

• Image from @farkomalarco / Instagram. Link posted by Famous when dead.

Creeps #MorrisseyTour2017 #Halloween
    41143_portland-band.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for this, very interesting. Must be quite a difficult thing to police especially as a lot of smaller venues depend upon tribute bands to (basically) keep them open as tributes often attract larger audiences with more disposable income (for the bar).

Had no idea the venue has to pay some form of songwriting royalties

Thanks for the thanks. Glad to help out.

Nightclubs also have to pay a fee to these organizations and that money supposedly gets distributed to the artists for the songs that are played. My understanding from working as a DJ in clubs where I was told to keep a written playlist for many years is that this is a total racket and doesn't amount to much for the artists. Somebody is making money from it, though. It's pretty tightly regulated in the US.

Also, it will sound weird, but I get a strange sense of comfort that your avatar hasn't changed in so many years. I don't visit here for months at a time so it's nice to have that occasional continuity. Or it could be that you are a decent person with good posts. I can't quite remember. (Bluebirds sufficiently creeped out, immediately changes avatar.)

There's still some of us here from before a time internet trolling was a glimpse in the KGB's eye!

Well we'll never know now will we so this will have to do. Certainly better fist of it than the Smiths tribute band I saw earlier this year.

I'm spending the day in bed cos I've got manflu

Get well soon.

BtBB :greatbritain::knife:

Then stop whining you sad old dorkmeister and f*** off. "Back in the old days Morrissey was so much better and I was able to maintain an erection. Well almost." No one gives a flying f***, you keep repeating your sad story, we're not your grandchildren and we don't want to hear your war stories about the glory days. c***.

But. He was so much better. So much.

The Heinz baked beans. Pmsl.

Well dunno what was wrong with that performance, seemed pretty good to me. Cheers for the video

It’s not bad. Gawd. When did Morrissey start looking constipated when he sings?

Had no idea the venue has to pay some form of songwriting royalties

I've played gigs in relatively small clubs, where you have to supply a setlist along with songwriting credits to the venue, so that any cover versions get paid their cut of the royalties. I'm guessing for an artist like Morrissey who earns big chunks of cash per venue (especially when he plays arenas in the UK), then the songwriters are going to get an appropriately larger wodge of money. Johnny Marr and Alain Whyte should still be picking up healthy paychecks at the end of every solo Morrissey tour, just from the amount of times their songs have been performed - which is only fair.

Jesse sucks plain and simple should have dumped that fool a long time ago, but like you said if your a kiss ass to Morrissey you get to stick around.

You say it because he looks sexy in his Halloween costume and you... don't. We all know he's a great guitarist and wrote great songs.

Maybe there should be a little bit more variety, but I think a lot of you are the kinds of people who go see him play ever tour and look at every setlist. He needs to find the right balance. I've only got to see him once, if I get to a gain probably only once more. A lot of people are like that, and they want to hear the hits. Even if you see him every few years, I don't think you mind too much if there is a core of the same 5 or 6 hits. I don't care if it's over played, I want to hear things like Speedway the one or two times I see him.

That’s all your street cred gone matey!
Perhaps it should be brutish or stick with bitter bullshitter....

Hang on a minute it's not as though I've been singing meat is murder for years and then get caught wearing a wool and cashmere cardigan now is it ? :brows:

Benny-the-British-Butcher :greatbritain::knife:

Similar chords to "Little Man What Now" I think
His voice sounds real good. Better than I expected

You’ll be gone

As to the Setlist, I think it has more to do with the lyrics. A lot of the older songs he probably doesn’t feel as close to anymore and he’s not gonna just do the songs that certain people like, hey me included, for entertainments sake alone. I think he chooses the Setlist because those songs meanings and words are what’s on his mind now. We got out tickets about a week ago and I can’t wait for the d.c date to get here. At that point he’ll be laying even more new songs which I for one am excited to hear

I don't think -where live performances are concerned - songwriting royalties are paid, unless of course, a live album/ video is released as an official product.
Here's a copy/paste of what led me to wonder these things.

"Analog public performance royalties come from the Public Performance copyright, where the songwriter is owed money for each public performance of their songs. The U.S., however, is the only developed country without the right for performer compensation for radio broadcast. Under U.S. law, public performance occurs only when the music is played in a place open to the public with a substantial amount of people. AM and FM radio, network television, cable television, live gig venues, airplanes, retail stores, bars, restaurants, etc., generate and pay these royalties to songwriters. There is, however, no standard rate; Rates are negotiated between the Performing Rights Organization and the songwriter. The government can adjust unfair rates, though."

You say it because he looks sexy in his Halloween costume and you... don't. We all know he's a great guitarist and wrote great songs.

By "we all" do you mean, 50 dumb latino's who think Morrissey gives a shit about your lot, he gives about as much as a f*** as he does about Israel, its all about the dead presidents . Thats a fact.
It is a dumb ass to keep whining about the past, as one poster did, as its gone. I do understand the temptation though, Moz was the best until post 2000 and then something went wrong, badly wrong. it went patchy then it went to shit mostly. In fairness he has had some great songs still but the lps have been weak, the shows since quarry have been nothing like what went before. I wish this wasn't true but it is. Some of this I think is due to too much touring but its also as if Moz just doesn't give a f***.
Since Quarry watching Morrissey is like watching Will in Stranger things season 2 . You know the old version is still in there somewhere, now and there there are fleeting glimpses but in the end it seems fatal. Just reading the last third of his auto sums it up, he now lives a in fantasy land , pretending he is leader of some hard gang related fan base , pretending his band are the best on the planet on and on the day dream goes.
You only have to listen to the music to see how weak his band is, you only have go to the gigs to see how the crowd has dumbed down, you only have to look at the venues he isn't selling out, one week away from Hollywood bowl and he still hasn't sold out the second night, "Moz Angeles" what BS . I love the man but there is no point in pretending he is better than he is, his "friends " do enough of that

I've played gigs in relatively small clubs, where you have to supply a setlist along with songwriting credits to the venue, so that any cover versions get paid their cut of the royalties. I'm guessing for an artist like Morrissey who earns big chunks of cash per venue (especially when he plays arenas in the UK), then the songwriters are going to get an appropriately larger wodge of money. Johnny Marr and Alain Whyte should still be picking up healthy paychecks at the end of every solo Morrissey tour, just from the amount of times their songs have been performed - which is only fair.
That's why I was wondering if that was the reason he's limited past writers' compositions in recent years. 1 or 2 songs reliably played would generate X amount for a writer, and not a penny more, and none by that guy, because he's an arsehole, none for that guy because he laughed when a bird shat on my shoulder in Glasgow that one time in 1989, etc. He doesn't seem to shut doors so much as nail them shut and light the house on fire before he leaves.

On to Seattle, i thorougly enjoyed watching on periscope and some fortunate person posted an up closr and personal vid from the front, i now know what his bell button looks like. I hope some more new songs are played.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom