Post Whatever You Are Thinking At This Very Moment

don't you get sick of colouring that same dog over and over?

theres this really annoying girl at work-- like, reeeeeeeealllly annoying. bufoonishly annoying. always inflicting her personality on others. always talking about herself when she is AT ALL TIMES the least charming or interesting person in the room (before scanty says anything--because she's predictable as hell--no, it isn't me :rolleyes:). anyway, she asked how a customer was and the customer said "not good" because her husband or dad-- I cant remember which-- is in the hospital dying. and the girl asked if it was because he had covid. ugh! cringe! the customer lost her shit and the girl cried. on the one hand I don't think you should go around telling people things if you're not prepared for them to respond inappropriately, but on the other hand I cannot imagine being so tacky as to ask if it's "because of covid". firstly, we've only had two cases on the island and secondly, terminal illness existed long before covid did. so therefore even though I think the customer didn't really have any right to make this idiot girl cry, at the same time, im glad that she did.
Yeah, tell her about your Victorian paper dolls. that was fascinating.

Part 2. Really, this idiot shouldn't ask customers how they are doing in the first place. If she learned to say "sorry to hear that" and keep it moving that would be okay, but even better is if she learned how to say something pleasant but meaningless just to acknowledge the customer but not to pretend that she's interested or trying to start a conversation. And to be fair the customer should learn to say "fine. How are you?" unless they are currently on fire and needing to know where the fire extinguisher is. So it was bad all around but your coworker started it.
But the thing is you said she was boring and self-involved but in your example she was interested in others and it doesn't sound like it was boring, just very #cringe.

Part 2. Really, this idiot shouldn't ask customers how they are doing in the first place. If she learned to say "sorry to hear that" and keep it moving that would be okay, but even better is if she learned how to say something pleasant but meaningless just to acknowledge the customer but not to pretend that she's interested or trying to start a conversation. And to be fair the customer should learn to say "fine. How are you?" unless they are currently on fire and needing to know where the fire extinguisher is. So it was bad all around but your coworker started it.
But the thing is you said she was boring and self-involved but in your example she was interested in others and it doesn't sound like it was boring, just very #cringe.
her saying "how are you?" to customers is just a ploy to engage them so that when she wallops them with some stupid joke or starts dancing at the till they'll have to pretend to think she's real neat and funny.

also, all the cashiers say "how are you?" here. it's what we're told to say. i rarely do it though. i ask them if they want a bag and then tell them sternly when they ask for plastic that of course we dont have plastic and that's about it.

Yeah, tell her about your Victorian paper dolls. that was fascinating.
the thing about conversation is that when you're engaged in it with someone you actually like, boring topics can actually seem more interesting, because you simply like talking to the person. the outsider listening in probably wouldn't get the same feel, I agree. it's baffling that i would have to explain this to someone your age.

I used to go to Starbucks. They have that thing where they ask your name. This really encapsulates the Starbucks philosophy of being fake and annoying, like when they call your name you're supposed to think "hey! It's for me personally!"
So this one woman that worked there would often try to do the conversation thing but she doesn't know me and had nothing to talk about so it would be like "are you ready for Mother's Day?" or some nonsense. Whatever. I could just say "yes," and then wait for my order. But the other thing that she did that was really annoying is she would ask my name and apologize for not knowing it. Every time, an apology that she didn't remember my name. I don't care and I'm actually kind of relieved that she doesn't know it, but at the same time the apology was pointing out the exact opposite of what asking the name is about in the first place. It's supposed to make you feel that they care about you. And the apology was like, "sorry but I really don't care about you and I'm just not very conscious of the effect I have on you so that I feel this might in some way make the slightest difference to you, so instead of just making your coffee I'm going to have this awkward moment with you once again. I'll leave it up to you to decide if I'm trying to be cute, or if this is some kind of insult, or if I'm just super awkward at interacting with customers and maybe should be kept out of sight of society, perhaps in an asylum."
Finally, because I got tired of paying $5 for a coffee and then being disappointed with it, and also because they wouldn't have the bakery item I wanted I just quit going there. I haven't gone there in about three years.
NOW there is this sandwich shop that I go to sometimes. They have a really good vegetarian sandwich for $5 and I started going in there once in a while to get a sandwich to go. So I go in there a couple of months ago and who waits on me but the girl from Starbucks. And she knows my name. She says my name. This is after years. So did she know it the whole time? What was that "I can't remember your name. I'm so sorry!" Anyway that was the last time I went there.
Some people are just really awkward and should have a script to follow when waiting on the public.

her saying "how are you?" to customers is just a ploy to engage them so that when she wallops them with some stupid joke or starts dancing at the till they'll have to pretend to think she's real neat and funny.

also, all the cashiers say "how are you?" here. it's what we're told to say. i rarely do it though. i ask them if they want a bag and then tell them sternly when they ask for plastic that of course we dont have plastic and that's about it.

Yes. I know exactly what you mean. It's manipulation and they probably don't usually see it but you see her do it all day.

I used to go to Starbucks. They have that thing where they ask your name. This really encapsulates the Starbucks philosophy of being fake and annoying, like when they call your name you're supposed to think "hey! It's for me personally!"
So this one woman that worked there would often try to do the conversation thing but she doesn't know me and had nothing to talk about so it would be like "are you ready for Mother's Day?" or some nonsense. Whatever. I could just say "yes," and then wait for my order. But the other thing that she did that was really annoying is she would ask my name and apologize for not knowing it. Every time, an apology that she didn't remember my name. I don't care and I'm actually kind of relieved that she doesn't know it, but at the same time the apology was pointing out the exact opposite of what asking the name is about in the first place. It's supposed to make you feel that they care about you. And the apology was like, "sorry but I really don't care about you and I'm just not very conscious of the effect I have on you so that I feel this might in some way make the slightest difference to you, so instead of just making your coffee I'm going to have this awkward moment with you once again. I'll leave it up to you to decide if I'm trying to be cute, or if this is some kind of insult, or if I'm just super awkward at interacting with customers and maybe should be kept out of sight of society, perhaps in an asylum."
Finally, because I got tired of paying $5 for a coffee and then being disappointed with it, and also because they wouldn't have the bakery item I wanted I just quit going there. I haven't gone there in about three years.
NOW there is this sandwich shop that I go to sometimes. They have a really good vegetarian sandwich for $5 and I started going in there once in a while to get a sandwich to go. So I go in there a couple of months ago and who waits on me but the girl from Starbucks. And she knows my name. She says my name. This is after years. So did she know it the whole time? What was that "I can't remember your name. I'm so sorry!" Anyway that was the last time I went there.
Some people are just really awkward and should have a script to follow when waiting on the public.
or maybe it has to do with the fact that she probably sees hundreds of people a day and her mind is a little frazzled from it? at my work we have to ask people if they have an air miles card. sometimes a customer will get annoyed because you don't remember yet that they don't have one. I just shrug. there's no way im apologizing. they have no business asking me to remember something that inane after everything I have to remember (and am resentful about having to remember) already. it's easy enough for them to just say no. so the only thing in my opinion that the girl did wrong was apologize. she should have just asked you for your name with a blank face every single time.

or maybe it has to do with the fact that she probably sees hundreds of people a day and her mind is a little frazzled from it? at my work we have to ask people if they have an air miles card. sometimes a customer will get annoyed because you don't remember yet that they don't have one. I just shrug. there's no way im apologizing. they have no business asking me to remember something that inane after everything I have to remember (and am resentful about having to remember) already. it's easy enough for them to just say no. so the only thing in my opinion that the girl did wrong was apologize. she should have just asked you for your name with a blank face every single time.
That's the point. I don't know her name. I don't care that she doesn't know mine. And I didn't go in there every day. It's possible she waited on me once a week. I'm bad at names myself. It was the apology that was the issue. It was awkward and apologies have their own set of rules where if someone apologizes they basically have the floor. You're supposed to listen and reassure them it's okay. Which is fine if it's something that matters. But it doesn't matter, and that's why it almost felt like an insult, not that she didn't know my name but that she had to act like this would matter to me and she is apologizing so I felt, probably wrongly, that I was obligated to listen and not interrupt with "Do you really imagine I could care less? Are you delusional?" She she was being "polite" so I had to be polite, but really she was being rude to assume it was an issue. Not rude that she doesn't know my name. Rude that I have to listen to this apology.
And you're right. She should have just asked my name with the same blank face every single time. Exactly the point.

That's the point. I don't know her name. I don't care that she doesn't know mine. And I didn't go in there every day. It's possible she waited on me once a week. I'm bad at names myself. It was the apology that was the issue. It was awkward and apologies have their own set of rules where if someone apologizes they basically have the floor. You're supposed to listen and reassure them it's okay. Which is fine if it's something that matters. But it doesn't matter, and that's why it almost felt like an insult, not that she didn't know my name but that she had to act like this would matter to me and she is apologizing so I felt, probably wrongly, that I was obligated to listen and not interrupt with "Do you really imagine I could care less? Are you delusional?" She she was being "polite" so I had to be polite, but really she was being rude to assume it was an issue. Not rude that she doesn't know my name. Rude that I have to listen to this apology.
And you're right. She should have just asked my name with the same blank face every single time. Exactly the point.
ohhhh I get it. okay, ill admit you're right. you should've just shrugged and said "don't care" while looking intently at something behind her. that's what I always do when I want to make people feel diminished. I pretend to be preoccupied looking at something behind them which they are in the way of while acting like im trying to be polite but this thing behind them is taking up all my attention. or you should just narrow your eyes and look at some area of their face, like their chin, as though trying to examine it without being noticed, so that they'll become self-conscious wondering whats wrong with their chin. that's the sort of thing I do when I sense someones trying to set a tone that I have no interest in reciprocating.

I did wonder how you got that interpretation but then I read what I wrote and I could see it sounds like I was mad she forgot my name.
Anyway, it's true that it was my fault for continuing to participate in these apologies. Getting really interested in something else would have been a good idea.

This man used to come see me dance in Toronto, in the 80's, and get me to dance at his table. He was a regular customer, and would have only me dance for him. I really liked dancing for him. He was cute, warm, easygoing, and even attractive. I asked him his name a few times but didn't remember it. I just didn't have the concentration to at that time in my life. He drove me home once, and asked me if I wanted to smoke pot with him. I said no. Then he asked me if I'd have dinner with him sometime. I said no, because I'd just started seeing someone, and I was a stickler for being monogamous on my end. He's one of the people I miss most now. He probably thinks he was just another customer to me.

I found out that etee uses non violent silk harvesting, called peace silk, for their dental floss. I've been using nylon floss. I ordered some silk floss with the masks. I guess I'm not really vegan.

I have insomnia again. It seems that every year around this time I go through this same bout of insomnia, where I can only sleep around three hours a night no matter how tired I am or how little sleep I got the night before. I lie in bed for hours, massively uncomfortable, unable to hook myself to the sleep train. Quite a change from a few weeks ago when I was sleeping 10 hours every night and it still didn't seem like enough. It must have something to do with the sun and getting the wrong cues.

Dog owning hooligans thinking they're above recrimination. We've just had one letting his dog run free and sending all the ducks into a tizzy. There are a small minority spoiling parks and rural areas for everyone else who is paying council tax to enjoy these open spaces. You can't even put a picnic blanket down without first scanning the area for dog shit. I ask myself, what is the difference between Urban antisocial behaviour, and instances such as this. They should be given ASBO's (anti social behaviour orders). But then again its all down to class. It's alright to give an ASBO to a hoody doing graffiti in the city, but letting your dog shit and cause havoc in a public park is somehow OK.
Dog owners don't give a 5hit.

Tags
* no social life frink advice artie lange awesome bitching blush bored brooms candies chat cheese with your whine? college is tough companionship complaining epiphany episiotomy friendships funny happy i think u stink just lust moaning never to be replaced rabid monkey sad suck my teeth sweet caroline wowzers
Back
Top Bottom