Produce Like A Pro YT: "Masters of Production: The Smiths and Blur Producer Stephen Street" (March 8, 2021)

Screenshot_20210309-094030~2.png

"Best known for his work with The Smiths, The Cranberries, and Blur, today we are talking with English music producer, Stephen Street!

Street began his musical career in the late 1970s playing in various bands in London. He then started at Island Records as an in-house assistant and then as an in-house engineer.

The Smiths and Morrissey

One of Street’s first jobs as in-house engineer was for a session for The Smiths’s “Heaven Knows I’m Miserable Now”. He then worked on their album Meat Is Murder, with Morrissey and Marr producing for the first time.

Street continued to work with The Smiths, working as an engineer on their album The Queen Is Dead before assuming a producer role for Strangeways, Here We Come, their final album.

After The Smiths broke up, Street worked with Morrissey as a producer and co-songwriter on his album Viva Hate. This album reached No. 1, spawning two top 10 hits in the UK. Street went on to co-write and produce two further singles for Morrissey which appeared on Bona Drag.

Blur

After hearing “She’s So High”, Blur’s first single, Street contacted their manager. Soon after he produced their second single “There’s No Other Way”, although he did not produce the album as a whole. Street produced Blur’s next four albums: Modern Life Is Rubbish, Parklife, The Great Escape and Blur.

Street produced Blur’s 2015 album The Magic Whip, their first since the band’s reformation with Coxon.

The Cranberries

In 1992, Street started working with Irish band The Cranberries on their debut album Everybody Else Is Doing It, So Why Can’t We?. The album turned out to be a huge success in the U.S. In 1994, Street worked with the band again on their second album No Need to Argue.

Street worked with the band on their fifth album Wake Up and Smell the Coffee and the two extra tracks that were recorded for their 2002 best of album Stars: “Stars” and “New New York”.

Street also produced their sixth studio album Roses, released in 2012. He also produced their final album In the End, released in 2019.

In February 2020, it was announced Street will receive the Outstanding Achievement Award at the upcoming Music Producer’s Guild Awards."

The interview in full:

Regards,
FWD.

Hi. I found it eventually, kind of. Meetings with Morrissey by Len Brown. Chapter 7 Nineteen Eighty Hate, page 145 paperback edition.

About Viva Hate, Street says:
When we were doing the album I said to Morrissey "It'd be nice to be seen doing something with you because I'm sure some people think I'm some kind of....middle aged producer in the background." I was hoping he'd take a band on Top Of The Pops but there isn't really a full time band, that's the problem. But I was disappointed. It was a childhood dream to be on Top Of The Pops.

Oops, I was still typing my reply when you posted yours... :tiphat:

Ah thank you, that I think I do remember. See how easy things get mixed up, which is why I was hoping Acton could provide a link to his comment.

But Street does know it was kind of Morrissey’s idea of a Smiths farewell show? Though maybe Street considers himself a 5th or 6th Smiths member.

Well, he was considered the 5th Smith by somebody at some point 😉

PressReleaseStrangeways5thSmith.jpg

Hi. I found it eventually, kind of. Meetings with Morrissey by Len Brown. Chapter 7 Nineteen Eighty Hate, page 145 paperback edition.

About Viva Hate, Street says:
When we were doing the album I said to Morrissey "It'd be nice to be seen doing something with you because I'm sure some people think I'm some kind of....middle aged producer in the background."

This is during Viva Hate, and then he also goes on to say ..,
I was hoping he'd take a band on Top Of The Pops but there isn't really a full time band,

that's the problem.

So the problem isn’t that Street wasn’t invited, it’s because there wasn’t a band, Morrissey did Everyday by himself
But I was disappointed. It was a childhood dream to be on Top Of The Pops.

Yes so this was during Viva Hate it seems, and Morrissey might of did that photo shoot with Street, because of what Street said (above) to him during the VH recording. And later invited Street to appear in the Playboys promo video.

You mean he asked to be paid? Moz could easily have invited Street onto Top Of The Pops for Playboys, which was Street's unfulfilled dream. Talk about petty.

Don’t know how you came up with
Morrissey going out of his way to not invite Street to do the TOTP Playboys appearance, then to call
it a ‘petty’ move on Morrissey’s part, is a bit strange.

This is during Viva Hate, and then he also goes on to say ..,

So the problem isn’t that Street wasn’t invited, it’s because there wasn’t a band, Morrissey did Everyday by himself

Yes so this was during Viva Hate it seems, and Morrissey might of did that photo shoot with Street, because of what Street said (above) to him during the VH recording. And later invited Street to appear in the Playboys promo video.

You mean he asked to be paid? Moz could easily have invited Street onto Top Of The Pops for Playboys, which was Street's unfulfilled dream. Talk about petty.

Don’t know how you came up with
Morrissey going out of his way to not invite Street to do the TOTP Playboys appearance, then to call
it a ‘petty’ move on Morrissey’s part, is a bit strange.
Ffs I go to the bother to find it and you still nit pick. Moz could easily have invited him to TOTP. Not for Everyday cos he did that one alone, but could have for Playboys. It's not complicated. You're such a Moz apologist sometimes.

Ffs I go to the bother to find it and you still nit pick. Moz could easily have invited him to TOTP. Not for Everyday cos he did that one alone, but could have for Playboys. It's not complicated. You're such a Moz apologist sometimes.

Dude, chillax!

‘nit pick’ ? :lbf:

You’re the one that fabricated the whole story that Morrissey went out of his way to not invite Street to do the TOTP Playboys appearance, and then on top of that, you call Morrissey ‘petty’ for doing something he didn’t do.

Then knowing that you were totally wrong and not being able to accept that you were wrong, you resort to calling me an ‘apologist’ Lol! :crazy:

Last edited:

CHILL FFS 🤒
the twerp said in the dumb paragraph that there was no proper band and
there was already several lawnmowers in the video WTF is Moz supposed to employ the entire lawnmower factory.(n)

🤒
there is no statsfying the lawnmowers. If you bring this particular suspect into the TOPS video then you have to leave off FH Mike or DH Andy off of it. then they start whining. :blushing: crying to the troll book writers and magazine writers. 😐

yet you dont hear of a single instance of lawnmower disappointment about being left out of the lackluster Le Pew comet videos.🤬

the toothless knob has dissed Moz many times.:blushing: toothless, goes out in public with the huge gap in his mouth where he is toothless, and dramatically states that Moz is not fit to comment about politics.:crazy:
He also has a small tuft of hair like the other troll but in back making him look like a raccoon. Here is the arbiter of politics for your perusal:handpointdown:

images
Hi Vegan Cro Spirit,

I understand what you mean about Damon Albarn's hair looking like a raccoon in the photo you showed on here. This sounds childish and immature but his hair also looks a bit like Sonic the Hedgehog and a porcupine in the photo you showed. Is this his lookdown hairstyle? Maybe he tried to cut it himself and style it himself or got his partner to cut it and style it for him? Does he colour his hair?

Damon Albarn has made lots of money over the years so he should be able to afford a professional hairdresser or barber but in lockdown they are closed. Dentists are open but more for emergencies. I guess having a front tooth put in would seem more cosmetic than necessary or an emergency.

I don't understand why Damon Albarn doesn't like Morrissey?

With regards to the lady lead singer in The Cranberries I feel very sorry for her. She seemed lovely a very sweet lady. There are many conspiracy theories online as to what might of happened. Her death his similar to what happened to Whitney Houston and her daughter there are lots of conspiracy theories surrounding their deaths. I think The Cranberries lead singer was a sweet beautiful lady who got mixed up with the wrong crowd. The music industry can be very cruel.

if you check out all these Moz hate trolls, they are all quite drunk and dishelved. 🤬
they are spokespersons for humanity while receiving dole payments.:blushing:

if you check out all these Moz hate trolls, they are all quite drunk and dishelved. 🤬
they are spokespersons for humanity while receiving dole payments.:blushing:
To be honest in the photo of Stephen Street above he looks moody and mean to me. I don't think he looks drunk and dishevelled. Stephen Street must of made a lot of money over the years thanks to Morrissey and some others. I don't like Stephen Street because of what he did to Morrissey. Stephen Street totally betrayed Morrissey! I think Stephen Street is probably motivated by money but also maybe fame because of wanting to be on major music shows like Top of the Pops. Stephen Street probably wants to be a rock star and is jealous of Morrissey because Morrissey is a rock star and a pop star and a great artist and a great person. Morrissey is a great human being.

I feel very sorry for Dolores O'Riordan. Dolores O'Riordan was a lovely sweet lady who got mixed up with all the wrong types of people in the end. :cry: It is very sad there are many conspiracy theories surrounding her death.

Seeing as Morrissey is unlikely to hire me to produce his next album as I'm not on his radar, then he should really consider working with Stephen Street again.

I interviewed Stephen several years ago for a Smiths radio programme and he was a very amiable and interesting guy. He's also co written a slew of Morrissey's best songs and his production style is perfectly suited to Morrissey and The Smiths.

I think there's been a gradual decline in the sound production on Morrissey's albums since Vauxhall And I. And even that album is surprisingly iffy in terms of Steve Lillywhite's mixes. Since then the albums have ended up sounding beefed up, almost bombastic with little in the way of excitement, dynamics and the deft touch that Street's mixes have.

I particularly dislike Joe Chiarelli's production. So much compression and limiting, Morrissey's voice right up front and tuned to death and everything cranked to 11.

The Smiths worked so well and sounded so good because Morrissey's voice is sat back in the mix a little - in a way many classic songs were mixed in the 70s and 80s- which has the effect of making the band sound bigger. It's a production technique that has been lost in recent decades resulting in pop and rock radio aurally clubbing you across the head. Virtually unlistenable.

I realise this has descended into an essay on music production but my point was Street was IMO Morrissey's best producer and I'd love to hear a return to that lighter, more playful sound.

Can we please have Viva Hate II?

Seeing as Morrissey is unlikely to hire me to produce his next album as I'm not on his radar, then he should really consider working with Stephen Street again.

I interviewed Stephen several years ago for a Smiths radio programme and he was a very amiable and interesting guy. He's also co written a slew of Morrissey's best songs and his production style is perfectly suited to Morrissey and The Smiths.

I think there's been a gradual decline in the sound production on Morrissey's albums since Vauxhall And I. And even that album is surprisingly iffy in terms of Steve Lillywhite's mixes. Since then the albums have ended up sounding beefed up, almost bombastic with little in the way of excitement, dynamics and the deft touch that Street's mixes have.

I particularly dislike Joe Chiarelli's production. So much compression and limiting, Morrissey's voice right up front and tuned to death and everything cranked to 11.

The Smiths worked so well and sounded so good because Morrissey's voice is sat back in the mix a little - in a way many classic songs were mixed in the 70s and 80s- which has the effect of making the band sound bigger. It's a production technique that has been lost in recent decades resulting in pop and rock radio aurally clubbing you across the head. Virtually unlistenable.

I realise this has descended into an essay on music production but my point was Street was IMO Morrissey's best producer and I'd love to hear a return to that lighter, more playful sound.

:rolleyes:

FFS you sucked as a producer. No more Moz producing for you:blushing:
cant you find those miserable Blur cucks and produce them they sell DOZENS UPON DOZENS of albums:lbf:

Uh-oh! Dude, you are on the wrong forum. There's no place here for informative and well-researched observations with professional facts. Soon all the village idiots with stupid emojis and supposedly "funny" Youtube links will tear you apart...

Uh-oh! Dude, you are on the wrong forum. There's no place here for informative and well-researched observations with professional facts. Soon all the village idiots with stupid emojis and supposedly "funny" Youtube links will tear you apart...

Melvin, arent you pushing the envelope by calling yourself "musician"?:)

Melvin, you interviewed this Street twat when he was clamoring for pizza pops:lbf:

:rolleyes:

FFS you sucked as a producer. No more Moz producing for you:blushing:
cant you find those miserable Blur cucks and produce them they sell DOZENS UPON DOZENS of albums:lbf:
Hmmm. Street is a great producer. Oh he sucked so much that he worked with The Smiths multiple times, co wrote Viva Hate and much of Bona Drag. If that's sucking then I'd say that's a high compliment. Added to the fact that he was handpicked by Morrissey, I would say you're very much lonely out on a limb here.

As for Blur - what is your point? Massive selling band who put out generally decent records that sounded good.

Was the sandpit closed today or something?

:straightface:
they are about the same age but i dont think Hugh was ever a punk rocker. most of the trolls here are over the hill punk rockers.:)
they feed on pizza pops.

Hmmm. Street is a great producer. Oh he sucked so much that he worked with The Smiths multiple times, co wrote Viva Hate and much of Bona Drag. If that's sucking then I'd say that's a high compliment. Added to the fact that he was handpicked by Morrissey, I would say you're very much lonely out on a limb here.

As for Blur - what is your point? Massive selling band who put out generally decent records that sounded good.

Was the sandpit closed today or something?

did Blur feed you pizza pops?:lbf:

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom