Question about the players on the I Have Forgiven Jesus b-sides

MozIsGod

I know the Let Me Kiss You b-sides (Daddy's Voice, Friday Mourning, and I Am Two People) were recorded in July 2004 with Jesse and Mikey Farrell. The CD#1 single of I Have Forgiven Jesus states that Jesse played guitar on its b-side (No One Can Hold a Candle to You). For some reason, my CD#2 which contains the b-sides Slum Mums and Public Image, features no information regarding the players/band lineup for those two songs. Alain was asked about Slum Mums recently for the Quarry listening session and he said the wrong mix got released so I'm assuming Alain played on Slum Mums but I don't know for sure. Public Image is one of my favorite b-sides from that period but I don't know if Alain or Jesse played on it.

Maybe someone who really knows their stuff on the Lads (Jamie) might be able to chime in regarding the players on that single since nobody was credited!

Ok, just a mess of info - will try again.
Slum Mums appears to confirm Alain's recent assertion (not directly stated) that Jesse replaced his guitar work. ATKXS011 (Jesus CD 2 / discogs credits) indicates JT as guitarist on Slum Mums (no credit on Public Image, but as the harpist is credited - they appear right for the CD single).
Passions/Wiki has Alain credited for Slum Mums - so issues there.
The Public Image has no credits for a guitarist via discogs, but Passions assert Alain Whyte.
I will dig the iTunes versions out at some point - as they are more forthcoming with credits.
Sorry it can't be more direct or clear.
Regards,
FWD.

Last edited:
Thanks FWD.

If Roger Manning played piano on The Public Image then its probably a leftover track from the Quarry sessions.

I asked Alain this question via comment on one of his recent acoustic videos. Hasn't answered yet but if I find out any info I'll certainly pass it along.

Someone asked Alain about Slum Mums & Public image on YT and the answer appears to confirm previous assumptions can be downgraded to 'now uncertain':

20200628_193208.jpg

Regards,
FWD.

I remember being at the Bridlington gig. Gary (I think) told us that I Am Two People and Friday Mourning were hastily put together to fulfil contractual obligations. They were standalone, recorded separately songs. How true this is, you'd have to ask him, but in my opinion it shows.

My copy of Jesus lists Jesse Tobias as playing guitar on The Slum Mums.

Camilla Pay is credited as playing harp on "The Public Image." She was also credited for harp on the deluxe edition of Quarry, most likely on "My Life Is A Succession of People Saying Goodbye." The Public Image also has those wooshy keyboard sounds at points in the track which is very reminiscent of Quarry/Roger Manning Jr.

Not 100% sure but I'd guess "The Public Image" was most likely played by Boz and Alain and recorded at the fall 2003 Quarry recordings.

My copy of Jesus lists Jesse Tobias as playing guitar on The Slum Mums.

Camilla Pay is credited as playing harp on "The Public Image." She was also credited for harp on the deluxe edition of Quarry, most likely on "My Life Is A Succession of People Saying Goodbye." The Public Image also has those wooshy keyboard sounds at points in the track which is very reminiscent of Quarry/Roger Manning Jr.

Not 100% sure but I'd guess "The Public Image" was most likely played by Boz and Alain and recorded at the fall 2003 Quarry recordings.

Thanks. It makes sense that if Jesse played on Public Image he most likely would have been credited.

My copy of CD 2 also lists the full band credits, so I'm not sure if this is quite as confusing as people are making out? Of course, that's IF the credits are accurate (and I know they aren't always).

For guitars, my CD lists Alain only playing on 'I Have Forgiven Jesus', Jesse only on 'The Sum Mums', and Boz on all songs. The inference of this is that neither Alain or Jesse play on 'The Public Image', and that all the guitars on this track are by Boz:

'I Have Forgiven Jesus' = Boz & Alain
'The Slum Mums' = Boz & Jesse
'The Public Image' = Boz

Alain confused things with "wrong mix" and not 'remembering' if he played on something.
Passion's information is at odds too as it lists Alain on The Public Image & Slum Mums - exactly why people are questioning it given the fractious time with Alain's segue in to Jesse.
Hence 'confusion'.
FWD.

My copy of CD 2 also lists the full band credits, so I'm not sure if this is quite as confusing as people are making out? Of course, that's IF the credits are accurate (and I know they aren't always).

Correct. Roger Manning isn't credited at all on my CD1 and CD2 despite obviously playing keyboards on I Have Forgiven Jesus. Mikey V. Farrell is credited as "keyboards" (maybe just for Candle although I haven't listened to that song in ages) but I don't think there are any keyboards on Slum Mums, and the piano in Public Image doesn't really sound like him. Just more to add to the mystique and inaccuracies of Morrissey's liner notes, ha...

Back
Top Bottom