Rick Astley & Blossoms - O2 Forum, Kentish Town post gig thread (October 9, 2021)

Setlist was the same as previous night:

What Difference Does It Make? / Bigmouth Strikes Again / Still I'll / Reel Around The Fountain / Cemetry Gates / Ask / Hand In Glove / Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others / The Boy With The Thorn In His Side / Girlfriend In A Coma / Well I Wonder / Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now / Panic / William, It Was Really Nothing / Barbarism Begins at Home / Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want // How Soon Is Now? / This Charming Man / There Is A Light That Never Goes Out

Regards,
FWD.

Are you now claiming he didn’t say that everyone prefer their own race?

No, I'm saying he didn't mean we only like our own group or think it's superior, it's just that people do identity with a group & that does create biases but we should try to agree on things.

Wrong. You simply have a tremendously arrogant and delusional habit of constantly speaking for Morrissey. You assure the other people here of things you couldn't possibly know and contextualize statements of his with information that you most certainly don't have. It's ludicrous and everyone notices this.

Verso, you also post your opinions on here, usually without a source.

You were trying to pick fights with people for weeks - if you would rather not talk to me, then don't.

I could say you were arrogant & delusional for disagreeing with me - but I don't care.

Verso, you also post your opinions on here, usually without a source.

You were trying to pick fights with people for weeks - if you would rather not talk to me, then don't.

I could say you were arrogant & delusional for disagreeing with me - but I don't care.
Yes, precisely. My opinions. I don't put words in Morrissey's mouth nor do I act like I'm the only one with access to the one true interpretation of every stupid thing he says. No one on this forum can express any dismay over the shit that comes out of his mouth without you arriving to "well, actually..." them into a comatose state. It's embarrassing.

Yes, precisely. My opinions. I don't put words in Morrissey's mouth nor do I act like I'm the only one with access to the one true interpretation of every stupid thing he says. No one on this forum can express any dismay over the shit that comes out of his mouth without you arriving to "well, actually..." them into a comatose state. It's embarrassing.

Your opinions about Morrissey & what you think he's said.

And you've followed me into another thread to keep having a go at me so you're not that comatose.

@Gregor Samsa

I think it's significant that he had the experience of growing up in a community different to the one around him.

How steeped was he in that emigrant Irish culture, which is a strange one at the best of times? "It steeped into everything I knew growing up. I was very aware of being Irish and we were told that we were quite separate from the scruffy kids around us - we were different to them. In many ways, though, I think I had the best of both places and the best of both countries. I'm `one of us' on both sides. It was always odd later on with The Smiths when I was described as being `extremely English' because other people would tell me that I looked Irish, I sounded Irish and had other tell-tale signs.

No, I'm saying he didn't mean we only like our own group or think it's superior, it's just that people do identity with a group & that does create biases but we should try to agree on things.

Nerak, this is why you get flack, all you need to do is add - No, in my opinion, I’m suggesting he didn’t mean etc

The way you currently post implies you know something that you couldn’t possibly know.

Nerak, this is why you get flack, all you need to do is add - No, in my opinion, I’m suggesting he didn’t mean etc

The way you currently post implies you know something that you couldn’t possibly know.

No one else puts imo everytime they say what they think!

It's very garbled - but he mentions debates & things needing to correspond & he's mostly fretting about why he's been called racist over things he didn't think he was being racist about.

sam:
The obvious press assessment is that she is racist, but I haven’t heard her say anything racist.

M:
Neither have I. But if you call someone racist in modern Britain you are telling them that you have run out of words. You are shutting the debate down and running off. The word is meaningless now. Everyone ultimately prefers their own race … does this make everyone racist? The people who reduce every conversation down to a matter of race could be said to be the most traditionally ‘racist’ because everything in life is NOT exclusively a question of race, so why make it so? Diversity can’t possibly be a strength if everyone has ideas that will never correspond. If borders are such terrible things then why did they ever exist in the first place? Borders bring order. I can’t see how opposing Halal slaughter makes me racist when I’ve objected to ALL forms of animal slaughter all of my life.

He does get the most uncharitable interpretations - The Independent printed a review saying the thing he's been complaining about since the 80s, but they think they share none of his views.

The irony is: there actually is a need to preserve the integrity of Britishness on screen, and it is increasingly under threat. Ostensibly, British-set series such as Ted Lasso and Sex Education repackage our country into something pseudo-American, using Britishness as simply an aesthetic, an excuse to wheel out some novelty accents while sanding off any specifics that might alienate viewers in the US. We embrace the shows anyway, ignoring when someone uses the phrase “high school”, or says a building is “three blocks away” - but it’s clear that no attempt has been made to represent Britain authentically.

No one else puts imo everytime they say what they think!

It's very garbled - but he mentions debates & things needing to correspond & he's mostly fretting about why he's been called racist over things he didn't think he was being racist about.

sam:
The obvious press assessment is that she is racist, but I haven’t heard her say anything racist.

M:
Neither have I. But if you call someone racist in modern Britain you are telling them that you have run out of words. You are shutting the debate down and running off. The word is meaningless now. Everyone ultimately prefers their own race … does this make everyone racist? The people who reduce every conversation down to a matter of race could be said to be the most traditionally ‘racist’ because everything in life is NOT exclusively a question of race, so why make it so? Diversity can’t possibly be a strength if everyone has ideas that will never correspond. If borders are such terrible things then why did they ever exist in the first place? Borders bring order. I can’t see how opposing Halal slaughter makes me racist when I’ve objected to ALL forms of animal slaughter all of my life.

He does get the most uncharitable interpretations - The Independent printed a review saying the thing he's been complaining about since the 80s, but they think they share none of his views.

The irony is: there actually is a need to preserve the integrity of Britishness on screen, and it is increasingly under threat. Ostensibly, British-set series such as Ted Lasso and Sex Education repackage our country into something pseudo-American, using Britishness as simply an aesthetic, an excuse to wheel out some novelty accents while sanding off any specifics that might alienate viewers in the US. We embrace the shows anyway, ignoring when someone uses the phrase “high school”, or says a building is “three blocks away” - but it’s clear that no attempt has been made to represent Britain authentically.

The way you portray things though imply it's fact when it's not, it's just your thoughts/interpretation of what he has said. Anyway, just my feedback which I figured may have led to more engaging dialogue rather than hostility toward your posts.

The way you portray things though imply it's fact when it's not, it's just your thoughts/interpretation of what he has said. Anyway, just my feedback which I figured may have led to more engaging dialogue rather than hostility toward your posts.

People reducing it down to he said he preferred his own race seems a lot more inaccurate tbh.

But I will try to be more provisional.

Yes, that’s pretty much my own take on the matter of preferring one’s own race.

@Gregor Samsa

I think it's significant that he had the experience of growing up in a community different to the one around him.

How steeped was he in that emigrant Irish culture, which is a strange one at the best of times? "It steeped into everything I knew growing up. I was very aware of being Irish and we were told that we were quite separate from the scruffy kids around us - we were different to them. In many ways, though, I think I had the best of both places and the best of both countries. I'm `one of us' on both sides. It was always odd later on with The Smiths when I was described as being `extremely English' because other people would tell me that I looked Irish, I sounded Irish and had other tell-tale signs.

Cheers, loved that quote.

The ABBA Avatars say they are willing to do the Smiths and Morrissey Solo tribute shows, but they want a contract and a giant arena next to the O2. Sweet.

I'm now thinking of other 80s pop singers teaming up with young bands to perform tributes to classic artists:

Sam Fox and The 1975 perform the songs of New Order.

As a pop fan and someone who hates indie snobbery, I've tried to be positive about this whole thing but Rick really seems to mishandle these songs. He just belts most of them out at top volume without tone or nuance. Credit where it's due, though, the rendition of Well I Wonder is a beauty.

-
The band play the songs brilliantly. I like the spirit of The Blossoms but I tried the first album and the songs were just so forgettable. Maybe their more recent stuff is better.

Last edited:
For the person asking:

FWD.

For the person asking:

FWD.

That was good and so was Rick I'll admit. Thank you. Thank you. That sepia toned world that Morrissey invited us into ages ago exists here on Solo exclusively. No place else I can think of. Thanks for all you do. Above and beyond as usual. Happy Halloween FWD. Thanks again.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom