Morrissey Central RINGLEADER DELUXE ! (July 17, 2020)

Morrissey’s third UK number 1 album ‘Ringleader of the Tormentors’ will be issued this year by BMG for the first time.The album is presently being ‘rebooted’ by producer Tony Visconti and will feature more sections by Ennio Morricone and his orchestra from the 2005 sessions in Rome, plus a photographic booklet.The original album featured four UK hit singles, ‘You Have Killed Me’ (Number 3), ‘The Youngest Was The Most Loved’(Number 14), ‘In The Future When All’s Well’ (Number 17), ‘I Just Want To See The Boy Happy’ (Number 16).

full

still going for that bit of rough look, started when Jake brought out the butch in him.

I have a theory that Moz mimics men he's got a crush on & that explains mysterious image changes (or hats) that no stylist appears to have been involved in.

I said it then and I say it again: "You have killed me" was a great lead single. Short, with a great chorus and the italien film influences in the lyrics match perfect with the (as always) melodramatic content. All was very well on planet Morrissey then.
Yep, a strong song. The album is fine, up to and including Pigsty.

Highlights on ROTT for a then shy & pale 34-year old:

Kill me
Father
Born
Pigsty
All swell
Hero now

Could have been so much better (Imao) and I usually love Tony Visconti's work with Bowie and Thin Lizzy but some so tracks sounded musicsally mediocre to me. "Youngest" f.e. never caught my attention. Maybe an enhanced reboot, with new running order and extra tracks will set those explosive kegs between my legs on fire.

Yep, a strong song. The album is fine, up to and including Pigsty.

It's definitely one of my least favourite Moz albums - along with Years of Refusal and Low in High School. Love 'You Have Killed Me' though. 'Ganglord' should have been on the album and a single. Easily the strongest song from that period.

The most disappointing album he's ever made. A brand new songwriter, a legendary producer, the best string section money can buy, and what's the result? Yet another so-so album of largely forgettable indie guitar pop. Pigsty, Hero, and In The Future are decent enough songs, but many of the rest are among the worst things he's ever done.

It's definitely one of my least favourite Moz albums - along with Years of Refusal and Low in High School. Love 'You Have Killed Me' though. 'Ganglord' should have been on the album and a single. Easily the strongest song from that period.
It's all subjective, Gash. Some like sweet, some like sour. Twas ever thus.

Hmmm, I do know that @GirlAfraidWillNeverLearn actually does.
It's one I've struggled with tbh, but having persisted with it, I found it to be quite a dramatic & maybe theatrical piece.
I like the live version. Its "dramatic & theatrical" quality is exactly what's appealing to me. It's almost comical.

The lines
"I once used to chase
affection withdrawn
but now I just sit back and yawn"

are hilarious to me. I guess I'm able to enjoy it because I don't take it too seriously.

Up there with high school as my worst Morrissey album.
However, I will buy any reissue for collecting purposes. But, it won’t improve with a reissue.

I’ve not listened start to finish for about twelve years. I really tried, but I couldn’t ever accept that gems like Dear God, Killed Me and Far Off Places would be on the same record as At Last I am Born. I remember that I dedicated a lot of time to curating a Quarry/Ringleader hybrid that would be the perfect listen.

Personally, I've always liked Ringleader; perhaps because of my love of Rome. Whilst I would agree that the album doesn't feature many stand-out tracks, as an album itself, for me, it works rather well. Like Vauxhall, the songs flow into one another; in turn, it feels complete. With Morricone's strings, I can only imagine it will get better.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom