Robby in China

saw pandas yesterday
panda_zps304b881c.jpg

took many photos, this is one, its cropped and made smaller of course :rolleyes:
have work today and so not really up to doing that with more photos just so I can post them here :o
perhaps next week :thumb:

so last week went to the Bifengxia Panda Reserve outside of Ya'an, long bus ride
followed by lunch
lunch_zps4fe9eb21.jpg

mine was good, I also had some of the local fish fried with rice like everyone else, that was great actually
outside of the restaurant, which was in some old temple structure, was some kind of "shrine" to
2_zpsf2ce3964.jpg

Mao, hey man, I just take the pictures, don't ask me how the dead Chairman and Buddha go together
later inside the "visitor building" of the reserve was a massive painting I just had to get a pic of, its got nudes in it so I'll hide it
1_zps41fd7865.jpg
the area gets massive rainfall and the ancient story is when the gorgeous goddess was stitching up the sky, basically this other god pulled her
down to the earth before she could finish it, leaving a hole which is where all the rain comes from, whatever, a little more busty then you find in these parts, though they do exist believe me, Sichuan women are indeed the most, uhh, well endowed in all of China supposedly, and I concur with this local assesment :brows:
after that we made our way into the reserve first across a brige shrouded and mist and towering above the canyon/valley below
7_zps5e46cabb.jpg

don't look down!
6_zps4b21f85d.jpg

a 7k trek through the jungle followed, though along a beautiful river with many waterfalls, places to stop, even go in the water
but we slogged on, I might go back on my own to do this all at a leisurely pace
however, I stuck to the front and I was one of the first to see a panda
5_zpsbd173579.jpg

sleeping up in a tree, sometimes it pays to be observant, anyways, many photos and much walking later got to the main area
4_zps729b812d.jpg

here is one of the photos I took, I am glad I went and saw them here in where they live partly in a "natural enviorment"
but pandas just aint all that, I do enjoy the lushness of the Chinese jungle and would like to many of the other sites around here
temples, statues and what not
so rather than make the long walk back I took a bus back with some others and had some fantastic barbecued pork
then when I found the others, they were doing what is oh so common of everyone here
3_zpsa2e01b2e.jpg

all on their "smart phones" being what I consider "stupid" all the time I am asked when I am going to get one of these phones
but seeing how they make people less human imho, I think I am going to stick to my phone just being that a phone, not something I stare mindless, silently for hours on end
anyways, writing this is boring, sorry
gonna go out now

ps:
8_zpsdcde9ee0.jpg

rawr!
love this guy, his kind are almost extinct, but what a lovely creature, much more worthy of saving then the panda in my opinion

Last edited:
d_zps7f74273f.jpg

guóqìng jié or National Day of the People's Republic of China came again yesterday and I spent most of it in my room resting, reading & watching some TV :rolleyes:
but October marks a number of dates with a special personal meaning to me :straightface:
especially the first Wednesay of the month which 20 years ago now is when I met a certain person no longer in my life :(
though they made a huge impact on it and whose effect still lingers, will I ever be free?
1smoke_zps79c1485a.gif

so as the day passed into night and my flatmate made plans to go out that night
I thought about a night so long ago when a foolish, young man met a girl who just seemed out of place in a Goth club :cool:
and songs, I played songs, ones that I remembered from that night, songs that I thought of as our songs, or her songs or songs that just help to conjure my nostalgia*
oh yeah and as I did so I fetched
Jim-Beam.jpg

this out of my freezer :squiffy:
so by the time we headed out I was pretty hammered, still, I fended off the advances of a girl that I know I would just be no good for
I know this not so much because of how we wouldn't "mesh" but just the opposite, they are certain weaknesses in others that feed my own and well
just don't make them or me a better person, which is now a core belief of mine when it comes to matters of the heart
(and while its highly concievable that she is just looking for something for the night or whatever, I just cannot do that sort of stuff around this time of the year anymore)
much of it a is a blur from there, but I do remember being in a stairwell at some point with a bunch of other ex-Army dudes
another American, one from here(China), one from Pakistan, the only guy older than me who served in the Soviet army years ago and an Israeli
as we talked we
5437_zps30bbe4ac.gif
and to my largely emotional recollection solved the major conflicts in the world
really, in matters of peace we old soldiers** might know best
so yeah, my mind helped turn my thoughts and thereby my heart from the place of melancholy it makes home of this time of the year
and with the help of some Red Bull, I actually got out there and danced for a long time, which was great, but exhausting an eventually lead to arriving at McDonalds at some point after 4 am where my flatmate took
oct2014_zps88139cab.jpg

this terrible picture of me, he just loves to do that for some reason
anyways, only got the rest of today and tomorrow before its back to the grindstone
so I should do something constructive today, my dishes are calling to me...

*=Morrissey/Smiths songs have always seemed to be good for this, dontcha think?
**=not all of them, obviously, those who have been made bloodthirsty by the shedding of other people's blood rather than the opposite would be disqualified, of course

Wonderful stuff. So educational. An Education. Love it!
thanks, I guess and I went on a tangent in another thread of yours, that is more appropriate to this thread, so I am placing my response here:
^^^^^
Robby, as usual, is right. At Morrissey's second solo gig in the U.S.A. http://www.passionsjustlikemine.com/live/moz-g910601.htm - at the Pacific Amphitheater in 1991, half the people in line were Mexican-American and we (non Mexican-Americans) never even thought twice about it.
and this not thinking not twice about it serves us well when living many places other than the USA :)
I work with other "white people" from around the world and I frequently take them to where the white people don't hang out, you know, the "real China"
and it bothers me not that we are the only white people, I can see it agitate many other foreigners though and well, I just mainly feel sorry for them :o

ps: I guess it might be different for you, but I hope you or some others see my point, being from such a cosmopolitan part of the bigoted good ole USofA is a wonderful thing

Last edited:
^^^^^
It's a little different for me as 9 toes are firmly in the U.S.A. and 1 toe is in the Indian Sub-continent and always will be. :thumb:

^^^^^
It's a little different for me as 9 toes are firmly in the U.S.A. and 1 toe is in the Indian Sub-continent and always will be. :thumb:
thought so, just didn't want to presume :o
as for me, had what may have been a epiphany :eek: at least I think it is for me :confused:
chopsticks are the key to why there is so much difference between the amount of obesity here in Asia(low) compared to "the West"
& the overall healthiness of the food eaten in general
at first I just thought it was that I ate less here when not eating "Western food" because I was so terrible at using them :rolleyes:
but I know what I am doing now, and the simple fact is the nature of the dishes here and how you eat them is just not directed towards mass consumption by one person :cool:

oh yeah, and let's not forget, when I do eat "Western style" all my old terrible eating habits come back out of wherever they hide in my brain :crazy:

yes, more of my, largely, unsuccessful " sexcapades" whatever that means

OK, first another sip of some triple distilled vodka :o
so last nite was Halloween and while I thought about going out "dry" to keep my streak alive, but the bottle won out, which really sucked
because guess what?
the first woman I end up talking to ended up not only speaking English, she was Cypress, Ca! :eek:
this is the China dream for me, a 30 something American born China goddess that I have so much in common with almost automatically :horny:
we talked missing the ocean, she even loved Pho! and had been to "Stigmata" back in the day :guitar:
but I was drunk and there was a "guardian" not a boyfriend, but one of those pathetic wanna be ones you see so much of around the world :(
reminding her of work tomorrow and whatnot and well since I was :squiffy: I froze, afraid to just go for it, you know, just be me :thumb:
and so she left without me even getting her # or "wechat" so yeah, alcohol bad, but what you gonna do?
at least I have something to remind me of her about, she told me to check out Emilie Autumn's stuff, I asked her to name one song and she said

this one, and well, I love it, so I am now DLing all her stuff...

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: yes, more of my, largely, unsuccessful " sexcapades" whatever that means

I think you did a good job on the Zombie thing. At least, you did not buy a kit...you did your own thing.

p.s. Have you seen "Warm Bodies" ?

I liked it. Zombie wears a quiff...some Moz comparisons have been made in reviews. The young woman is attractive. And compared to "Twilight" the film is like a MENSA meeting. Not my cup of coffee...but I liked it all the same...3.5 of 5 stars. Of 38 review summaries of the film on Metacritic, I think this one nails it:

Chicago Sun-Times - Richard Roeper

A well-paced, nicely directed, post-apocalyptic love story with a terrific sense of humor and the, um, guts to be unabashedly romantic and unapologetically optimistic.

I liked it. Zombie wears a quiff...some Moz comparisons have been made in reviews. The young woman is attractive. And compared to "Twilight" the film is like a MENSA meeting. Not my cup of coffee...but I liked it all the same...3.5 of 5 stars. Of 38 review summaries of the film on Metacritic, I think this one nails it:

Chicago Sun-Times - Richard Roeper

A well-paced, nicely directed, post-apocalyptic love story with a terrific sense of humor and the, um, guts to be unabashedly romantic and unapologetically optimistic.
OK, getting it now :)

so while in much of the "the West" November 11th is Veteran's Day or Armistice Day or whatever :straightface:
today it's "Single's Day" :eek: here in China :rolleyes: so I guess I gotta head out later :cool:

Are you alive ?
yes, just very busy at work, just moved a few weeks ago, meaning I had no internet here til today
oh yeah, and my entire life was in a holding pattern when I got a call from a Chinese hospital the day after my birthday :paranoid:
where I had some tests run after getting real sick with a stomach infection the week before, it went away after a few days, but then they called me the next week to tell me I was HIV positive :eek:
at that moment the whole world collapsed for me, except for this little voice that said, this is China, they get shit wrong here all the time :cool:
so I had more tests done and was in a kind of limbo til this Monday, I can honestly say that I had thought that I had all the major events(other than having kids) :confused:
which can cause one to have epiphanies, totally re-examine one's life and what not :straightface:
and sure enough, that little voice was right and the largely incompetent Chinese medical profession was wrong the first time:thumb:
I suppose 50/50 aint bad though for a country really still more "third world" than "1st" :squiffy:
obviously I am relieved to not be stricken with what would likely amount to death sentence for me :nopity:
honestly, I unintentionally spent time on more than one occasion daydreaming about getting back in shape / "training" not in order to lengthen my life expectancy with HIV
but so I could take some bastards with me :gun: you know, make my death have some meaning :crazy:
in my other free time I went the other way, reading the Bardo Thodol, meditating, and thinking about making some much needed to trips to see some people at least one last time before I die
but poof, all that is gone now on a very real level, yet something lingers within me
I mean other than the feeling of being somehow "wronged" with having this happen? to me & the memories of 2 of the most unproductive weeks in my very busy life here in China
what it is I don't know, but I just feel my perspective has changed in a way that I get the sense is better than it was before this shit got dumped on me
hmm, maybe I should thanks those idiots for jerking me around like this
well, whatever, stuff to do, and were down 2 teachers this week at my work, so going in early....

update:
my flatmate got fired today

Last edited:
Robby, glad you're OK. Perhaps, you are feeling better because you saw a glimpse of your own mortality and it changed you.

yes, just very busy at work, just moved a few weeks ago, meaning I had no internet here til today
oh yeah, and my entire life was in a holding pattern when I got a call from a Chinese hospital the day after my birthday :paranoid:
where I had some tests run after getting real sick with a stomach infection the week before, it went away after a few days, but then they called me the next week to tell me I was HIV positive :eek:
at that moment the whole world collapsed for me, except for this little voice that said, this is China, they get shit wrong here all the time :cool:
so I had more tests done and was in a kind of limbo til this Monday, I can honestly say that I had thought that I had all the major events(other than having kids) :confused:
which can cause one to have epiphanies, totally re-examine one's life and what not :straightface:
and sure enough, that little voice was right and the largely incompetent Chinese medical profession was wrong the first time:thumb:
I suppose 50/50 aint bad though for a country really still more "third world" than "1st" :squiffy:
obviously I am relieved to not be stricken with what would likely amount to death sentence for me :nopity:
honestly, I unintentionally spent time on more than one occasion daydreaming about getting back in shape / "training" not in order to lengthen my life expectancy with HIV
but so I could take some bastards with me :gun: you know, make my death have some meaning :crazy:
in my other free time I went the other way, reading the Bardo Thodol, meditating, and thinking about making some much needed to trips to see some people at least one last time before I die
but poof, all that is gone now on a very real level, yet something lingers within me
I mean other than the feeling of being somehow "wronged" with having this happen? to me & the memories of 2 of the most unproductive weeks in my very busy life here in China
what it is I don't know, but I just feel my perspective has changed in a way that I get the sense is better than it was before this shit got dumped on me
hmm, maybe I should thanks those idiots for jerking me around like this
well, whatever, stuff to do, and were down 2 teachers this week at my work, so going in early....

update:
my flatmate got fired today

Good to hear you are ok but at least chinese medical care try their best unlike where I live where you do not get any help anymore it seems and have to turn to private medical care. The system has collapsed it seems.

Back
Top Bottom