Russell Mael 'disillusioned’ by Morrissey’s recent comments

Sparks singer ‘disillusioned’ by Morrissey comments - BT
The former Smiths singer is a long-time admirer of Russell and Ron Mael’s music.

Excerpt:

Sparks singer Russell Mael has described comments Morrissey made in April about politics and race and last year in response to the Manchester terror attack as “ill-conceived and wrong”.

Mael, whose pop-rock band is famously beloved by the former Smiths singer and who is a fan of Morrissey himself, added that he “does not understand” the remarks.

Morrissey recently made comments where he suggested people should give far-right political party For Britain a chance and that halal meat production required “certification that can only be given by supporters of Isis”.

Following the bombing at an Ariana Grande concert in the Manchester Arena in May 2017, the singer implied in a statement that politicians were scared to call the attacker an Islamist extremist.

Asked for his thoughts on the singer’s comments, Mael told the Press Association: “I’m totally in agreement with anybody being disillusioned because I am as well.

“It seemed so inconsistent, all these perspectives that he has on those various issues, just stupid, dumb kind of things.

“I obviously don’t agree with any of these things. They’re just so ill-conceived and wrong.”

He added: “It’s just a pity. When you’re a fan of somebody you want to be a fan in all sorts of ways.

“You may be like ‘I still really like the music, but the person, I can’t agree with their stance’.

“I’m like all the people that don’t understand what is in his mind. I don’t understand.”

sparks-singer-disillusioned-by-morrissey-comments-136427349287640701-180522143012.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
On the anniversary of the Manchester bombing......I'm still proud that he said something in anger. f*** don't look back in anger. f*** the bees. Confront the realities of modern existence in Europe 2018.

I'm "disillusioned" how someone can look at another as one layer, when really every person is made up of multiple layers. You don't have to like nor understand every layer.

I'm "disillusioned" how someone can look at another as one layer, when really every person is made up of multiple layers. You don't have to like nor understand every layer.

The trouble is each time you peel back a layer there is another bell end of a layer waiting underneath. I think that is what is disappointing Russell.

Obviously Morrissey has to be willing to accept responsibility for his comments but this article saddens me. It’s his birthday! The baiting couldn’t be set aside for one day? It’s timing and subject are designed to be hurtful.

The goofiest part is at the end where it says Moz's management has been contacted for comment.

James Maker could be the one talking to him frankly and openly. However, it seems like he can't say anything against Morrissey and be brutally honest with him. Real friends are the ones that talk to you honestly. Specially, when you are going in the wrong direction with things.

James Maker could be the one talking to him frankly and openly. However, it seems like he can't say anything against Morrissey and be brutally honest with him. Real friends are the ones that talk to you honestly. Specially, when you are going in the wrong direction with things.

That sounds very Orwelian.

but its ok to look like Hitler.

Ron Mael of the Los Angeles-based rock band Sparks maintained a toothbrush-moustache throughout most of the 1970s and 80s. Upon achieving mainstream success in the United Kingdom in 1974 with the song "This Town Ain't Big Enough for Both of Us", The Economist noted that "a whole generation switched on Top of the Pops, saw Ron Mael's moustache, and ran out of the room, crying, 'Mum! Dad! Hitler's playing the piano on 'Top of the Pops'!'"[11] (The Sparks song "Moustache" addresses the problem, with the lyrics "And when I trimmed it very small/My Jewish friends would never call.")

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toothbrush_moustache

http://allsparks.com/

Last edited:
We have to give racists a day off because it's their birthday? f*** that shit.

Nurse! The screens! Peter Loony-Tunes is back in town.

Seriously, who do you think is listening to you, you fecking tin-foil hat wearing lunatic?

Obviously Morrissey has to be willing to accept responsibility for his comments but this article saddens me. It’s his birthday! The baiting couldn’t be set aside for one day? It’s timing and subject are designed to be hurtful.

Well.... it's not his birthday anymore. ;)

yes there are those who will swoop down for a bit of publicity even when it harms others.

TO NOT KNOW HIM IS TO MISUNDERSTAND HIM.

AND SO FEW DO. ( KNOW HIM )

AND NO ONE HERE.

:straightface:

I guess M is scratching that 'Mael mix' off his birthday post album cover.

so long Russell

:(:(:(

:tiphat:

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom