Scariest Author

iamkali62

In your opinion, who is the scariest author? Stephen King, Dean Koontz or Clive Barker, and why?

Stephen King is silly.

Stephen King is silly.

I've been reading, "The Dead Zone" and it's boring me silly. All of my books are still in storage, and I so wish I had one of those.

I've been reading, "The Dead Zone" and it's boring me silly. All of my books are still in storage, and I so wish I had one of those.

I never understood what people think is so great about stephen king. Silly books, horrible movies

i don't think king is a genius. i also don't think he's silly. closer to silliness than genius though. i enjoy his books when i'm in the mood for something light.

never read any koontz.

love what i've read of barker.

i don't think king or barker are scary at all though.

Early Stephen King scared me to death! 'Misery' and 'IT' were truely nasty

Early Stephen King scared me to death! 'Misery' and 'IT' were truely nasty

"Misery" was really horrifying. No wonder they couldn't show most of the violence in that movie. Hobbling, (shudder)

Last edited:
I read a story when I was little by Roald Dahl (I think) where this man bred snails.They multiplied in their millions and filled his house up and ate him.

I had nightmares for many months.It scared the shit out of me and now I really do have a serious phobia of snails that stems from that story.:(

I never understood what people think is so great about stephen king. Silly books, horrible movies

I read a lot of what you might call, "dry books" - biographies of people you've never heard of probably, and critical essays. All of my books are packed away in my parents garage (with my CD's) and I don't have a way to get in there (no key) so this apartment place has a *library* and I chose Misery and The Dead Zone and the Dead Zone is boring me to death. Should've called it the Dead ZZZZZZZZZZZZZ's :sleeping:

I like Dean Koontz...Hideaway, Mr. Murder, Dragon Tears , Winter Moon, Intensity...I always preferred him over King.

I don't read a lot of Dean Koontz. I do like the Odd series, though.

I believe that Stephen King is underrated. I think he hurt himself by saying all those years ago that his books were the literary equivalent of a Big Mac and fries at McDonald's. As far as character development goes, he's one of the best. And for the record, The Dead Zone is one of my favorite King books. It is also one of my favorite movie adaptations. Christopher Walken directed by David Cronenberg? What's not to like? :)

Among my favorite King books are It, Bag of Bones, Pet Sematary, The Green Mile and Dreamcatcher. I'm a big fan of his short stories, too.

Clive Barker is another one of my favorites. Imajica is my all-time favorite Barker novel. Galilee, Coldheart Canyon and the Abarat books are among my favorites. His short story collections are good, too.

I got to sit on his lap once. It was very nice. :o

I don't read a lot of Dean Koontz. I do like the Odd series, though.

I believe that Stephen King is underrated. I think he hurt himself by saying all those years ago that his books were the literary equivalent of a Big Mac and fries at McDonald's. As far as character development goes, he's one of the best. And for the record, The Dead Zone is one of my favorite King books. It is also one of my favorite movie adaptations. Christopher Walken directed by David Cronenberg? What's not to like? :)

Among my favorite King books are It, Bag of Bones, Pet Sematary, The Green Mile and Dreamcatcher. I'm a big fan of his short stories, too.

Clive Barker is another one of my favorites. Imajica is my all-time favorite Barker novel. Galilee, Coldheart Canyon and the Abarat books are among my favorites. His short story collections are good, too.

I got to sit on his lap once. It was very nice. :o

Hm, I never knew that The Dead Zone was made into a movie. I guess I'm just at a sort of slow part of the book. I'm at the part where Johnny Smith wakes up after four years of being in a coma. And he's kind of a psychic. With that title, though, I thought it would be more scary. I like this one author, Tess Gerritson- she writes more in the style of the Hannibal Lecter series. Of course, I've read the Dexter books too and the new one is out. :) I was always intrigued by Imajica- I should try it. LOL you got to sit on his lap, sweet! I never knew Stephen King made that statement comparing his books to fast food. He's NOT a junky writer and by that I mean, he can carry a plot pretty well, and doesn't treat one like a moron. Christopher Walken directed by Cronenberg- you're right! What's NOT to like? I like that cameo Cronenberg did in that Nicole Kidman movie where she gets those kids to kill her husband, played by Matt whatsiface - Brilliant. Okay for you, Byshhe, I will keep plugging away at The Dead Zone because I know you're a book person as well. :) I just want to read something REALLY scary (and gore filled) :D

Hm, I never knew that The Dead Zone was made into a movie. I guess I'm just at a sort of slow part of the book. I'm at the part where Johnny Smith wakes up after four years of being in a coma. And he's kind of a psychic. With that title, though, I thought it would be more scary. I like this one author, Tess Gerritson- she writes more in the style of the Hannibal Lecter series. Of course, I've read the Dexter books too and the new one is out. :) I was always intrigued by Imajica- I should try it. LOL you got to sit on his lap, sweet! I never knew Stephen King made that statement comparing his books to fast food. He's NOT a junky writer and by that I mean, he can carry a plot pretty well, and doesn't treat one like a moron. Christopher Walken directed by Cronenberg- you're right! What's NOT to like? I like that cameo Cronenberg did in that Nicole Kidman movie where she gets those kids to kill her husband, played by Matt whatsiface - Brilliant. Okay for you, Byshhe, I will keep plugging away at The Dead Zone because I know you're a book person as well. :) I just want to read something REALLY scary (and gore filled) :D

The last King book I read was Lisey's Story. It was slow to begin but was really good. I had the same problem with The Shining, too.

My problem is that I'm not easily scared. I do love suspense fiction, though, and can recommend some of my favorite authors.

Thomas Harris
Jeffrey Deaver
Greg Iles
John Sandford
James Patterson (before he started selling his name off)

If I think of some more, I'll post them. :)

The last King book I read was Lisey's Story. It was slow to begin but was really good. I had the same problem with The Shining, too.

My problem is that I'm not easily scared. I do love suspense fiction, though, and can recommend some of my favorite authors.

Thomas Harris
Jeffrey Deaver
Greg Iles
John Sandford
James Patterson (before he started selling his name off)

If I think of some more, I'll post them. :)

I'm not easily scared either, even in the book Hannibal which, come on, had some pretty gory moments. I've read Patterson and was not impressed. But the new Dexter book is out, and I am definitely getting that. I used to be so scared of movies that made you jump, like the original Halloween and even Alien. The only book that had TRULY grossed me out and scared the bejaysus out of me was The Exorcist. I read it when I was in the 7th grade and I will never forget the horror of that book. I always wonder why Blatty never wrote anything as scary as that afterwards. Thanks, and please, if you can think of more authors, let me know! :)

I'm not easily scared either, even in the book Hannibal which, come on, had some pretty gory moments. I've read Patterson and was not impressed. But the new Dexter book is out, and I am definitely getting that. I used to be so scared of movies that made you jump, like the original Halloween and even Alien. The only book that had TRULY grossed me out and scared the bejaysus out of me was The Exorcist. I read it when I was in the 7th grade and I will never forget the horror of that book. I always wonder why Blatty never wrote anything as scary as that afterwards. Thanks, and please, if you can think of more authors, let me know! :)

I always thought of Hannibal as a really good dark romantic comedy, both the book and the movie. :D

I always thought of Hannibal as a really good dark romantic comedy, both the book and the movie. :D

Oh, definitely. In the movie I was hoping Starling would become Hannibal's lover or companion like in the book, so that was a little disappointing. And the part in the movie where she is near the carousel and he just touches her hair. Buys her exotic perfumes. Rescues her from Gary Oldman. A very dark romantic comedy. Thomas Harris has a very good touch with the Hannibal series. I did watch the newest Hannibal, as to why he became a cannibal, and that was sad. I won't spoil it for anyone who wants to read it.

I remember reading The Amityville Horror when I was about 13, then seeing the movie...:eek: scary stuff... I was afraid of my own shadow after that :o I still am.... :o Being a 'true' story, made it even scarier.

Back
Top Bottom