Second kick drum not even mic'd

bored

not bitter but bored
http://www.morrissey-solo.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=13720&d=1342507167

They added the 2nd kick drum in the previous leg of the tour and I always wondered how much use did it really get. I think the answer might be none.

In this picture you can see the extra one has no mic but the standard one does.

I don't like the idea of adding instruments to the stage simply for looks. Seems a little cheesy to me.

That being said, I do like the flag on the drum. It's a nice signature for where he's been and since he goes to so many countries I like seeing it change frequently.

They added the 2nd kick drum in the previous leg of the tour and I always wondered how much use did it really get. I think the answer might be none.

I don't like the idea of adding instruments to the stage simply for looks. Seems a little cheesy to me.

That being said, I do like the flag on the drum. It's a nice signature for where he's been and since he goes to so many countries I like seeing it change frequently.

Is there a chance the second one may be miked up differently ? Regardless - well spotted , that man !

Morrissey's music to me never really seemed to necessitate use of double bass drum, anyways..All these years up til now, Matt's playing at its heaviest never required it.

Last edited:
It should be Tobias that is without amplification. No reason the superfluous drum should be excluded.

It's actually very common practice especially in heavy metal circles. Reason for it is obviously looks for one but the other is so you can get a consistent kickdrum sound. You use the double. Pedal instead of the other drum. It's just practical. I like the rings of light on the drums.

I doubt that highly.

Oh shoosh ... in fact, if you own one of those giant cardboard Morrisseys, you should go and check it . Tears of mysterious origin are probably flowing from its eyes right now - you know, like one of those Russian Orthodox icons ...

Oh shoosh ... in fact, if you own one of those giant cardboard Morrisseys, you should go and check it . Tears of mysterious origin are probably flowing from its eyes right now - you know, like one of those Russian Orthodox icons ...

NotHappyNotSad has one, I think one. I'll ask her.

The whole of the kit is mic'ed up, so the second bass drum will be picked up anyway, but with a different dynamic. Hence the whole point of having a second one. Not much point in having both serving the same purpose?

It should be Tobias that is without amplification. No reason the superfluous drum should be excluded.

How did you like that version of 'I Want The One I Can't Have' at Vina Del Mar where his guitar was absent for most of the song?

How did you like that version of 'I Want The One I Can't Have' at Vina Del Mar where his guitar was absent for most of the song?

I just played it again; I've played that boot maybe two or three times previously and was never offput by anything but it's weird...now you mention it and I can hear the point where it cuts.

The Smiths didn't really need Gannon, but he allowed Johnny to open up more by holding down the fort on rhythm. With this it's the opposite; Boz's rhythm is sufficient. There are important leads in that song but honestly, sans lead guitar, it's not that bad.

Whether that's a testament to Boz's ability or to Jessie's lack thereof, I couldn't say.

I just played it again; I've played that boot maybe two or three times previously and was never offput by anything but it's weird...now you mention it and I can hear the point where it cuts.

The Smiths didn't really need Gannon, but he allowed Johnny to open up more by holding down the fort on rhythm. With this it's the opposite; Boz's rhythm is sufficient. There are important leads in that song but honestly, sans lead guitar, it's not that bad.

Whether that's a testament to Boz's ability or to Jessie's lack thereof, I couldn't say.

So you're saying that Boz plays this song better than Johnny?

The whole of the kit is mic'ed up, so the second bass drum will be picked up anyway, but with a different dynamic. Hence the whole point of having a second one. Not much point in having both serving the same purpose?

Yes there is a point, some drummers have double bass drums (with bouble bass drum pedals) mic'ed up identically, this gives them the opportunity to play quicker or different rhythms than having just one bass drum.

Back
Top Bottom