Seymour Stein on The Smiths and Morrissey - The Music Ally interview

f*** you, Cum-In-Bummie-c***.

- - - Updated - - -

You're f***ing illiterate, mate.

f*** you, "am a racist that loves with people and think they are better than black people" Derek17 :lbf:

- - - Updated - - -

The Smiths - enduring significance to culture

Morrissey - a few songs (generally from 1988 - 1994, occasionally 2004) played regularly on radio and enduring significance to Morrissey (and some Smiths) fans

And I say this as a person who holds his output from 1992-1997 eternally to heart. It's just the way of the world.

:thumb: hope ketaminecunt agree with this!

The Smiths - enduring significance to culture

Morrissey - a few songs (generally from 1988 - 1994, occasionally 2004) played regularly on radio and enduring significance to Morrissey (and some Smiths) fans

And I say this as a person who holds his output from 1992-1997 eternally to heart. It's just the way of the world.

Ah but Jamie, did you know the most played song on English radio that Morrissey has sung was actually from 2004?
It's played more than any Smiths song - hard to believe but true.
Otherwise, yes you're right. The radio-listening public is familiar with 10-15 Smiths songs and just 3 or 4 post-Smiths.

Ah but Jamie, did you know the most played song on English radio that Morrissey has sung was actually from 2004?
It's played more than any Smiths song - hard to believe but true.

Definitely hard to believe. Where did you get that information?

I disagree. I think Lennon had great solo success. Better together is subjective. Morrissey in my opinion was always meant to be a solo artist. He attracts the spotlight and in the beginning he had the music and charisma to be bigger than The Smiths. He unfortunately didn't live up to his promise. But very few people ever do.

I disagree wholeheartedly. Lennon had great solo success because he could also write his own music, beautiful music, on par with his lyrics. Morrissey can not.

Morrissey is dependant on his band mates to write the music that he pens his lyrics to. When you surround yourself with average session musicians you produce average session music. The Smiths were lightning in a bottle because Marr could write beautiful melodies and Morrissey wrote beautiful lyrics. The years they spent working together created a harmonious, consistent sound that their fans came to expect. Any musician worth his salt is either in his own band, solo, or sells their songs to other artists. And no one is going to write a brilliant piece of music and just hand it over to Morrissey for nothing.

The only way Morrissey would have ever eclipsed his Smiths period work was if he found another musician who could match Johnny's ability to write music. That is akin to winning the lotto twice, even harder when you factor in how difficult Morrissey is to work with. Charismatic to be sure, but difficult nonetheless.

And then of course there is the age factor. All lyricists peak in their twenties. All of them. When they are young they write about what they know and what is relevant to them. We share similar experiences with the author and relate and feel connected to the music they write. Success is truly the death of an artist. No one can relate to Bono any more just as no can relate to Morrissey. We get a lot of 'Kiss Me A Lot' and 'The Bullfighter Dies', all of which are hollow, forgettable jingles. Like Morrissey once wrote, 'they say nothing to me about my life'...

Had the Smiths endured far longer than they had they would have undoubtedly met the same mediocre fate.It happens to the best of them. Listen to Bob Dylan lately? Garbage. Cohen? Good, but nowhere close to his early years. McCartney? Turned that off during wings.

And the fact remains that the average person on the street hasn't a clue what or who The Smiths are. Forget about Morrissey. Even people who grew up in the 1980s generally have no idea, especially in the States. Maybe at best a vague recollection here or there, but naming a song would likely be impossible. Whereas everyone everywhere knows The Beatles, probably their names too, and at least a few songs. That Supreme queue video said everything - with the internet at their fingertips, nobody knows Morrissey or The Smiths! Or cares! So this icon talk and these comparisons with Lennon/McCartney are bilge. Just the facts.

Only uncultivated people don't know who Morrissey or Smiths are. My co-workers (some of them) don't even know who Woody Allen is. Btw I work in an accounting field.

I disagree wholeheartedly. Lennon had great solo success because he could also write his own music, beautiful music, on par with his lyrics. Morrissey can not.

Morrissey is dependant on his band mates to write the music that he pens his lyrics to. When you surround yourself with average session musicians you produce average session music. The Smiths were lightning in a bottle because Marr could write beautiful melodies and Morrissey wrote beautiful lyrics. The years they spent working together created a harmonious, consistent sound that their fans came to expect. Any musician worth his salt is either in his own band, solo, or sells their songs to other artists. And no one is going to write a brilliant piece of music and just hand it over to Morrissey for nothing.

The only way Morrissey would have ever eclipsed his Smiths period work was if he found another musician who could match Johnny's ability to write music. That is akin to winning the lotto twice, even harder when you factor in how difficult Morrissey is to work with. Charismatic to be sure, but difficult nonetheless.

And then of course there is the age factor. All lyricists peak in their twenties. All of them. When they are young they write about what they know and what is relevant to them. We share similar experiences with the author and relate and feel connected to the music they write. Success is truly the death of an artist. No one can relate to Bono any more just as no can relate to Morrissey. We get a lot of 'Kiss Me A Lot' and 'The Bullfighter Dies', all of which are hollow, forgettable jingles. Like Morrissey once wrote, 'they say nothing to me about my life'...

Had the Smiths endured far longer than they had they would have undoubtedly met the same mediocre fate.It happens to the best of them. Listen to Bob Dylan lately? Garbage. Cohen? Good, but nowhere close to his early years. McCartney? Turned that off during wings.

well said!! :thumb:

Wow - you're a bit of a twat aren't you?! Thank you for your thoughtful observations though - well done.

I'm not a "bit of a twat", I'm a huge twat and very proud of it. When I set my mind on something, I go all the way. Never do anything half-ass.
With more effort and some more time, I just might become the biggest twat ever.

That Supreme queue video said everything - with the internet at their fingertips, nobody knows Morrissey or The Smiths! Or cares! So this icon talk and these comparisons with Lennon/McCartney are bilge. Just the facts.

Hip hop kids trying to earn money by buying and reselling fashionable t-shirts ≠ everybody.

Recently the same thing happened when Kanye West wrote a song with Paul McCartney. Many of the hip hop kids seemed to have no idea who Paul McCartney is. All people are not knowledgeable, or interested in becoming knowledgeable; that's how it's always been.

Well you can't eat your cake and then complain about the ingredients and how it was made.

I'm not a "bit of a twat", I'm a huge twat and very proud of it. When I set my mind on something, I go all the way. Never do anything half-ass.
With more effort and some more time, I just might become the biggest twat ever.

Thanks for sharing, ya huge twat. I'm an enormous dick! Fancy that.

wienermobile-b1.jpg

Morrissey was given clearance as it was assumed he was progressive in his views rather than just an artful Troll Closet Case with the most hilarious case of Catholic Guilt Sex Shame ever. Great to observe him but imagine being in the same car he~s been crashing for over 3 decades. Not even funny, just a sordid clown prancing around a circus ring stage to keep the cash rolling in from his bizarre inmate Cult ~fans~

Most people only know 1 or 2 songs, think he~s a ludicrous puff and thats all they bother with. Yet here his fans go on as if he´s a genuwine Star. No, that was David Bowie. RIP
the great thing about genius is that is dies hard. it survives as the ignorant views of it's age never can. we've all seen how these things go with artists, it's almost become the hallmark of a true artist that he be derided by philistines during his lifetime. and since no one can know how they will be perceived by future generations there's absolutely no point in listening to any of the negativity of the present moment. all an artist who is concerned with his legacy needs to be concerned with is the essence and authenticity of what he endeavours to bring forth into the world, and would do well to otherwise eschew the opinions of the monumentally boring people of his day.

Whereas I think that Marr and Morrissey were as much important in The Smiths, I can't help noticing that since the split, there is not ONE Marr's song that really appealed to me.

Marr and Morrissey ripped off their bandmates. Both scum. End of. Comparison with The Beatles is absurd.

Liverpool-The Beatles
Birmingham-Black Sabbath
Manchester- Joy Division-New Order. Stone Roses. Oasis. The Smiths as a Fab Four but NOT Morrissey who has spent 3 decades as his own tribute band. At least Marr realised he,d f***ed up and coughed up the cash. No wonder the Lawnmower parts refuse to sanction a re-union, they have principles and have finally been vindicated. Joyce and Rourke should be admitted to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, Marr and Morrissey should ideally spontaneously explode in flames from Shame.

f*** Morrissey
f*** Marr

BB
in Lisbon to do the Fado\Morna remixes.

"Why do you come here"?

the great thing about genius is that is dies hard. it survives as the ignorant views of it's age never can. we've all seen how these things go with artists, it's almost become the hallmark of a true artist that he be derided by philistines during his lifetime. and since no one can know how they will be perceived by future generations there's absolutely no point in listening to any of the negativity of the present moment. all an artist who is concerned with his legacy needs to be concerned with is the essence and authenticity of what he endeavours to bring forth into the world, and would do well to otherwise eschew the opinions of the monumentally boring people of his day.

Morrissey isn't a genius. Have you read 'List of the Lost'? LOL!

Nor is he an artist, but he is a con-artist. Possibly the most inauthentic charlatan ever to emerge in popular music claiming to represent sincerity.

is legacy will be scorn and ridicule. Your attempt to channel Oscar Wilde is almost as embarrassing as Morrissey's attempt to purloin Oscar's legacy as his own. Almost, but not quite. His fans are as beclowed as their ridiculous cult leader but, like a motorway pile-up, it's impossible not to be fascinated by the career carnage that is late-stage Trollissey.

Morrissey isn't a genius. Have you read 'List of the Lost'? LOL!

Nor is he an artist, but he is a con-artist. Possibly the most inauthentic charlatan ever to emerge in popular music claiming to represent sincerity.

is legacy will be scorn and ridicule. Your attempt to channel Oscar Wilde is almost as embarrassing as Morrissey's attempt to purloin Oscar's legacy as his own. Almost, but not quite. His fans are as beclowed as their ridiculous cult leader but, like a motorway pile-up, it's impossible not to be fascinated by the career carnage that is late-stage Trollissey.

And once again the 'music industry police' managed to prevent from cleaning up at the Brit awards tonight !

Benny-the-British-Butcher

I've already told you, the pubs are closed here, to use a line from your friend bummieboy, if you don't like my posts put me on ignore, I heard morrissey is covering a Bowie song with his time in America as inspiration, he's calling it Dumb Americans, catchy little tune

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks sweetheart, you always comment on how superior I am, have you got low self esteem?

quit the internet and go take care of the customers. rent at the shack due at the end of the month.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom