Seymour Stein on The Smiths and Morrissey - The Music Ally interview

http://musically.com/2016/02/19/the-music-ally-interview-seymour-stein/

One of those acts was The Smiths. They could have been huge in the US but it never happened. Why?

It’s obvious what happened. You know and I know it.

Was it down to the “M” word? Morrissey?

It wasn’t the “M” word. It was the “F” word – friction. That’s the word. The friction between the two of them [Johnny Marr and Morrissey] was the reason.

I am very friendly with Johnny and I even have a relationship with Morrissey – which is not easy. I go out of my way to keep that relationship going because he is one of the very few artists – and I would put Johnny in the same category – who is a genius.

It’s a really great, great shame [they split]. They just couldn’t get along. I think Morrissey had a problem getting on with people. He said some terrible things to me and then sort of apologised. It doesn’t matter. We still speak. I love him and I love his taste in other music.

He is a big rockabilly fan and I love that stuff. It is very sad. But these things happen. It happened on a much bigger level. The Beatles should have stayed together. Their work on their own is very, very good but nothing like when it was The Beatles.

Marr and Morrissey ripped off their bandmates. Both scum. End of. Comparison with The Beatles is absurd.

Liverpool-The Beatles
Birmingham-Black Sabbath
Manchester- Joy Division-New Order. Stone Roses. Oasis. The Smiths as a Fab Four but NOT Morrissey who has spent 3 decades as his own tribute band. At least Marr realised he,d f***ed up and coughed up the cash. No wonder the Lawnmower parts refuse to sanction a re-union, they have principles and have finally been vindicated. Joyce and Rourke should be admitted to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, Marr and Morrissey should ideally spontaneously explode in flames from Shame.

f*** Morrissey
f*** Marr

BB
in Lisbon to do the Fado\Morna remixes.

An anonymous person posted the link and excerpt:

The Music Ally Interview: Seymour Stein - Music Ally

Excerpt:

One of those acts was The Smiths. They could have been huge in the US but it never happened. Why?

It’s obvious what happened. You know and I know it.

Was it down to the “M” word? Morrissey?

It wasn’t the “M” word. It was the “F” word – friction. That’s the word. The friction between the two of them [Johnny Marr and Morrissey] was the reason.

I am very friendly with Johnny and I even have a relationship with Morrissey – which is not easy. I go out of my way to keep that relationship going because he is one of the very few artists – and I would put Johnny in the same category – who is a genius.

It’s a really great, great shame [they split]. They just couldn’t get along. I think Morrissey had a problem getting on with people. He said some terrible things to me and then sort of apologised. It doesn’t matter. We still speak. I love him and I love his taste in other music.

He is a big rockabilly fan and I love that stuff. It is very sad. But these things happen. It happened on a much bigger level. The Beatles should have stayed together. Their work on their own is very, very good but nothing like when it was The Beatles.

Last edited by a moderator:
No wonder the Lawnmower parts refuse to sanction a re-union, they have principles and have finally been vindicated.

Yeah, thats it. The reason there's never been a Smiths re-union is because Andy Rourke and Mike Joyce don't want it :lbf:

I think the Morrissey/Marr and Lennon/McCartney Smiths/Beatles comparisons are quite interesting. I believe both bands lasted roughly the same length of time give or take a few years. The same thing that created such a wealth of popular music caused the friction that broke them up in the end. To differ a bit I am quite happy and thankful for each of their solo stuff. Imagine...

I think the Morrissey/Marr and Lennon/McCartney Smiths/Beatles comparisons are quite interesting. I believe both bands lasted roughly the same length of time give or take a few years. The same thing that created such a wealth of popular music caused the friction that broke them up in the end. To differ a bit I am quite happy and thankful for each of their solo stuff. Imagine...

"Give or take a few year" brilliant, yeh Justin bieber and mick jagger are roughly the same age, there's only a few years between them, dumb American

"Give or take a few year" brilliant, yeh Justin bieber and mick jagger are roughly the same age, there's only a few years between them, dumb American

Give it a rest plastic. Are you incapable of reasonable discourse? It appears yes. If I had to serve drinks and food in a loud pub for as many years as you I would be angry too, but still civil in my discourse with others. Your personality is paper thin. So transparent and colorless. No wonder why you have so many posters here calling you out as a fraud..a pseud. Please get help. We are concerned. God forbid you jump off your boat whilst sailing around the coast of Scotland. Those poor sea creatures forced to eat your flesh.

Give it a rest plastic. Are you incapable of reasonable discourse? It appears yes. If I had to serve drinks and food in a loud pub for as many years as you I would be angry too, but still civil in my discourse with others. Your personality is paper thin. So transparent and colorless. No wonder why you have so many posters here calling you out as a fraud..a pseud. Please get help. We are concerned. God forbid you jump off your boat whilst sailing around the coast of Scotland. Those poor sea creatures forced to eat your flesh.

Thanks for your concern but I'm in no danger if I jump off my boat as it's on dry land getting anti-fouled, it's February you know, you don't sail around scotland in February, dumb American

I don't see the comparison. Stein is simply saying that The Beatles also were better together in his opinion, and he says, "But these things happen. It happened on a much bigger level." This means the Beatles breakup was on a much bigger level than The Smiths which is obvious to anyone with any sense of perspective.

ETA: The Beatles were great but all four members did great work as solo artists. I think it has to do with the fact that Stein saw The Beatles go from unknown in the US to superstars and he saw their rapid progression. There is really no way to compare to that. Even if Paul McCartney wrote a new album today equal to his best Beatles work only young people could hear it all as equally important. You can't do the same thing again and be as revolutionary even if the work is as good. But some of Lennon's best (and very worst) material is after The Beatles. Paul McCartney and Wings did some great stuff in that 70's stadium rock genre. I love Ringo's singles and he was the first Beatle to score a solo number one. And George Harrison was held back in The Beatles. In any other band he would have been the leader, but with Lennon and McCartney the bar is set pretty high.

Last edited:
Thanks for your concern but I'm in no danger if I jump off my boat as it's on dry land getting anti-fouled, it's February you know, you don't sail around scotland in February, dumb American

Well we know you can't write, but now you can't read. Where did I say today? I know what month it is. There are thirsty, hungry people waiting to be served. They will appreciate your time spent there more than anyone will here. Please stop trolling me you leprechaun pseud. Bowie, Lennon, Morrissey, Jagger etc. all CHOSE to live in America. Are you really that stupid? You can't be.

So much hatred of other countries, you are so superior sitting on your plastic irish perch.

I don't see the comparison. Stein is simply saying that The Beatles also were better together in his opinion, and he says, "But these things happen. It happened on a much bigger level." This means the Beatles breakup was on a much bigger level than The Smiths which is obvious to anyone with any sense of perspective.

I disagree. I think Lennon had great solo success. Better together is subjective. Morrissey in my opinion was always meant to be a solo artist. He attracts the spotlight and in the beginning he had the music and charisma to be bigger than The Smiths. He unfortunately didn't live up to his promise. But very few people ever do.

Well we know you can't write, but now you can't read. Where did I say today? I know what month it is. There are thirsty, hungry people waiting to be served. They will appreciate your time spent there more than anyone will here. Please stop trolling me you leprechaun pseud. Bowie, Lennon, Morrissey, Jagger etc. all CHOSE to live in America. Are you really that stupid? You can't be.

I've already told you, the pubs are closed here, to use a line from your friend bummieboy, if you don't like my posts put me on ignore, I heard morrissey is covering a Bowie song with his time in America as inspiration, he's calling it Dumb Americans, catchy little tune

- - - Updated - - -

So much hatred of other countries, you are so superior sitting on your plastic irish perch.

Thanks sweetheart, you always comment on how superior I am, have you got low self esteem?

I've already told you, the pubs are closed here, to use a line from your friend bummieboy, if you don't like my posts put me on ignore, I heard morrissey is covering a Bowie song with his time in America as inspiration, he's calling it Dumb Americans, catchy little tune

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks sweetheart, you always comment on how superior I am, have you got low self esteem?

Dumb Americans... There you go again...plunk, plunk, plunk. You are becoming boring. Please return to topic. I would never put you on ignore. I love a classic joke as much as anyone.

sorry I edited a little above since I wanted to say more about it, and we sort of agree. About Morrissey as well. The music of The Smiths was great but they were Morrissey's backup band, if you ask me.

Yes your addition is very astute. I view The Smiths as Morrissey's cocoon. Where he gestated until he was ready to emerge as a beautiful butterfly. He was entirely captivating. I think he lost or never even realized how important that was. But when you're in the moment it is hard to see what is best. Appreciating the moment and the value of what exists in the now is difficult for almost everyone. If only rests in all of us somewhere.

sorry I edited a little above since I wanted to say more about it, and we sort of agree. About Morrissey as well. The music of The Smiths was great but they were Morrissey's backup band, if you ask me.

not this "the smiths were moz backup band" bs again plz. Johnny Marr was just as important as morrissey imo and he wasn't just part of his backup band imo. I won't change my mind about this as much as solo wants people to belive this

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom