Shallow Rewards: The Smiths is Dead

Insightful and informed conversation between Chris Ott and Elliot Busch-Wheaton about Shoplifters of the World and the legacy of the Smiths and Morrissey in America.

full

Last edited by a moderator:
Enjoyed that, thanks...
The poor 13 year olde kid who had a meltdown when talking to Morrissey......I wonder what his reply was??

And who was Ian McKie, he got a few mentions?

Enjoyed that, thanks...
The poor 13 year olde kid who had a meltdown when talking to Morrissey......I wonder what his reply was??

And who was Ian McKie, he got a few mentions?
Ian MacKaye is the frontman of Minor Threat and Fugazi, American hardcore/post-hardcore bands from the early/mid 80s.

Baz, have you never heard the voicemail compilation from the 1991 KROQ EP? It's all gold:

"Some of us have to feast with tigers, and I know you know what that's about, and your music helps us get through."

Ian MacKaye is the frontman of Minor Threat and Fugazi, American hardcore/post-hardcore bands from the early/mid 80s.

Baz, have you never heard the voicemail compilation from the 1991 KROQ EP? It's all gold:

Thanks for this... really enjoyed 👍

I had to switch it off at the 2-minute mark when they said something like "no real Smiths fans had posters of Morrissey plastered all over their bedroom walls" - which is absolute bollocks masquerading as fact. Does it get any better?

I had to switch it off at the 2-minute mark when they said something like "no real Smiths fans had posters of Morrissey plastered all over their bedroom walls" - which is absolute bollocks masquerading as fact. Does it get any better?
It did ...
Nothing that you wouldn’t have already heard , but nice to listen to two Americans chatting about the Englishness of the smiths, and all the other tit bits only real smiths fans would only understand...

I'm an Ott-head, and he often says things that were only "true" amongst his small subset of friends/acquaintances.
For instance, he said elementary school/middle school boys who acted "gay" were called Devo.
I'm in his same age range and thats not true at all, in my school Devo were seen as masculine from the Whip It video.

He says a lot of bullshit like that. He rests his musical worldview of scenes in the 80s and 90s around his small clique of pals, like no one else's opinion matters, its frankly bizarre. I still find him very entertaining.

Weren't they all exclusively drooling over the drummer boy?

I think so... some of the song analysis was somewhat interesting. And yes, I knew a few "real Smiths fans" that had many Smiths/Morrissey posters on their bedroom walls.

Last edited:
For information, Chris Ott is a huge Cure fan, when working as a journo for Pitchfork, he manages to write rave reviews of the Cure 2004 studio album. embarassing

Tags
shoplifters movie

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom