Shelagh Delaney has died

Update Nov, 21, 9:40 PM PT:

Statement from Morrissey:

Shelagh Delaney - true-to-you.net

SHELAGH DELANEY

A genuine poet has passed through the world. Shelagh Delaney exercised a wide influence with the shock of plain language, and shafts of satiric wit, into a severe and donnish 1950s world where working-class people had thus far been assumed to be simplistic, flag-waving cannon-fodder. Her writing was a magnificent confession of life as it was commonly lived in her hometown of Salford, with all of its carefully preserved monotony. She was attacked for immorality, which, then as now, is proof that you have hit on something.

'A Taste of Honey' was a sentiment that had not been expressed before its time - far more real than life.

It was the Salford of sagging roofs, rag and bone men, walk-up flats, derelict sites, rear-entrance buses, and life in tight circumstances.

Shelagh Delaney did not become fat with success, or become a celebrity, because she was of richer intellect.

She has always been a part of my life as a perfect example of how to get up and get out and do it. If you worry about respect you don't get it. Shelagh Delaney had it and didn't seem to notice it.

MORRISSEY
Los Angeles, November 2011.

shelagh_delaney.jpg

Shelagh Delaney, author of “A Taste of Honey,” dies of cancer at 71
- The Washington Post

Excerpt:

LONDON — Playwright Shelagh Delaney, best known for her 1958 play “A Taste of Honey,” has died of cancer, her agent said Monday.

Delaney died Sunday night at her daughter’s home in eastern England, said agent Jane Villiers. Delaney was a few days short of her 72nd birthday.

Link to video posted by Uncleskinny:

Last edited by a moderator:
Well you know your Morrissey don't you. Wouldn't you have been better to find out why that had been posted here before trying to be funny.

Who?

This is Morrissey-Solo by the way.

Yes, and great chunks of Morrissey's lyrics are lifted wholesale from Shelagh Delaney's works, mostly A Taste Of Honey.

(I know 99% of you know this - this is for this chump's benefit.)

Quite sad. If you've never read A Taste of Honey, it's worth the read, both on its own merit and from the perspective of a Morrissey fan.

Quite sad. If you've never read A Taste of Honey, it's worth the read, both on its own merit and from the perspective of a Morrissey fan.

I wish I had never wasted my time reading it. And in the linked youtube video she is rather dull and pretentious. I am sure Elton John was very proud of her.

I cannot believe the comments on here, you are a disgrace and so direspectful.

This site is utterly VILE, and if you don't understand the importance of her work to Moz then you really have no right to be here.

I cannot believe the comments on here, you are a disgrace and so direspectful.

This site is utterly VILE, and if you don't understand the importance of her work to Moz then you really have no right to be here.

Get over yourself. You have no more right to be here than anyone. Prick.

Why are people so disrespectful to someone who has just died of cancer. Someone who not only did Morrissey write a song about and use on several record covers, but also used many of her words in several songs. bit unpleasant really

RIP

Truly a figure in the lost art of social realism. The contributions and the spirit live on but, sadly, the writer is no longer with us.

Disgraced at the majority of comments on here !!!!!!
There is lots of homework to be done for a lot of people!!!!!!! (Very sad,no very SICK).

Also "We'll let you know" Please do not comment or reply YST!!!!!!!!

Sheila Take a Bow

A taste of honey still seems fresh and funny today, Shelagh Delaney's writing was years ahead of it's time. She must be one Morrissey's biggest influences, especially during the early Smiths years, for this we should be incredibly grateful.

"I dreamt about you last night and I fell out of bed twice"

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom