Shelagh Delaney has died

Update Nov, 21, 9:40 PM PT:

Statement from Morrissey:

Shelagh Delaney - true-to-you.net

SHELAGH DELANEY

A genuine poet has passed through the world. Shelagh Delaney exercised a wide influence with the shock of plain language, and shafts of satiric wit, into a severe and donnish 1950s world where working-class people had thus far been assumed to be simplistic, flag-waving cannon-fodder. Her writing was a magnificent confession of life as it was commonly lived in her hometown of Salford, with all of its carefully preserved monotony. She was attacked for immorality, which, then as now, is proof that you have hit on something.

'A Taste of Honey' was a sentiment that had not been expressed before its time - far more real than life.

It was the Salford of sagging roofs, rag and bone men, walk-up flats, derelict sites, rear-entrance buses, and life in tight circumstances.

Shelagh Delaney did not become fat with success, or become a celebrity, because she was of richer intellect.

She has always been a part of my life as a perfect example of how to get up and get out and do it. If you worry about respect you don't get it. Shelagh Delaney had it and didn't seem to notice it.

MORRISSEY
Los Angeles, November 2011.

shelagh_delaney.jpg

Shelagh Delaney, author of “A Taste of Honey,” dies of cancer at 71
- The Washington Post

Excerpt:

LONDON — Playwright Shelagh Delaney, best known for her 1958 play “A Taste of Honey,” has died of cancer, her agent said Monday.

Delaney died Sunday night at her daughter’s home in eastern England, said agent Jane Villiers. Delaney was a few days short of her 72nd birthday.

Link to video posted by Uncleskinny:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi friendsI read about the death of this wonderful authoress as i read my "free rag" on my way to work this morning, i let out a sad exclaimation 0f " oh no, no "as my bus chugged along into Chester city centre. As a born & bred Mancunian, we all know about Shelagh or Shelia Delaney. Obviously she was brought to our rightful attention by the one and only darling of a man, Morrissey. With thanks. A sad day, a by gone age, when we all remember the rag & bone men, and even the gypsy curse at our mother's front doors!Morrissey, if you are reading this, all i can say is " Edna O ' Brien" . Your mother will surely know who she is? I have well & truly read her & i literally absorb each & every page, still thirsty for her memoirs!I am me xxx

Loved the film and never read books and cancer is taking me away from life as well so there you go. I find that old films, english or swedish, say a lot more than many modern ones do.

Urban in Sweden (I dedicate the following swedish song about death to her cause I somehow feel the lyrics in it would have been of her liking)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKo3NKm0vFk

I read "A taste of honey" because of Morrissey, and I love it. I was so grateful to him for introduce me to her, and I was grateful to her for been such influence on him. The movie is really good as well! Thank you Shelagh Delaney... "the dream is gone..."

There was a short piece about her death in the big german online-magazine SPIEGEL-ONLINE:

Für alle die es lesen können:
http://www.spiegel.de/kultur/literatur/0,1518,799041,00.html

Der Teil über Morrissey:
"Mit diesem Verständnis von Romantik war sie ein naheliegendes Vorbild für den Gitarren-Pop-Romantiker Morrissey, der 1986 in einem Interview mit dem "New Musical Express" sagte: "Ich habe nie ein Geheimnis daraus gemacht, dass mindestens 50 Prozent von dem, was ich schreibe, Shelagh Delaney geschuldet ist." Die Dramatikerin war auf mehreren Platten-Covern von Morrisseys Band The Smiths abgebildet."

The part about Morrissey reads somehow like this:
"With this understanding for Romanticism she was a obvious role model for the guitar-pop-romantic Morrissey who in 1986 said in an Interview with the New Musical Express: 'I never made a secret of that at least 50% of what I'm writing is owned to Shelagh Delaney.' The dramatist was pictured on a number of album-covers by Morrissey's band The Smiths."

Last edited:
Get over yourself. You have no more right to be here than anyone. Prick.

Oi c***y Wunty, you don't know what you are talking about, so f*** off, some of us have been there since the start, not a little nonsensical nothing like you.

Very sad for her family, I hope that you are well ans stay proud of her legacy.

I wonder how Moz feels, another one of his icons gone, not many left now, all the greats.........

what does this mean ?
Loved the film and never read books and cancer is taking me away from life as well so there you go. I find that old films, english or swedish, say a lot more than many modern ones do.

Urban in Sweden (I dedicate the following swedish song about death to her cause I somehow feel the lyrics in it would have been of her liking)

Urban, how many times have you faked your death on this website???? Yes some of us remember the fake website dedicated to your suicide many moons ago. Man United are going down the pan.... and so are your posts...... change the tune.....

[QUOTE=Anonymous;

Cover art for Louder Than Bombs You blasphemous idiot!

Our friend Shelagh is with us now...infinite conciousness , that you know of as, " heaven". The connection was instant and Shelagh found us! You can't have Shelagh back, because she is too kind for your world called planet Earth, save for a very few like her. Big show and after-party tonight! Come if ....... Love you all George Harrison, John Lennon, Freddie Mercury, Mic Ronson, James Dean, Elizabeth Taylor, Jobriath, Elvis Presley, Sal Mineo, Buddy Holly and Allan Fried.....Rock N' Roll Will Never Die.
P.s. Shelagh says, "Thank you Morrisey, for being you and for your kindness to the poor. Stay on Earth Morrissey.... For atleast a while longer, they need you.

Wer'e going to Shelaghs party too... Oliver Twist, the Artful Dodger, Robert Lewis Stevenson, Edgar Allen Poe, Herman Mellville, yes ofcourse Oscar Wilde !!! Even Fagan...

Urban, how many times have you faked your death on this website???? Yes some of us remember the fake website dedicated to your suicide many moons ago. Man United are going down the pan.... and so are your posts...... change the tune.....

They have said that for many decades now about United and still people never learn to never write us off again. Difference between us and others is that form is temporary but class is permanent. City may well be the new Blackburn Rovers and win the trophy and never be seen again.

When it comes to people doing things in my name, that is something I have no control over. Cancer runs in my family and that is why I am now very pleased with the fact I decided at an early age to never have kids. I wish more people with that knowledge would not get kids and spread the pain of disease. Cut the sick tree branch I say.

I hope this answers the earlier question about what I meant with my earlier post.

Urban the swede (It is time to die when City win)

They have said that for many decades now about United and still people never learn to never write us off again. Difference between us and others is that form is temporary but class is permanent. City may well be the new Blackburn Rovers and win the trophy and never be seen again.

When it comes to people doing things in my name, that is something I have no control over. Cancer runs in my family and that is why I am now very pleased with the fact I decided at an early age to never have kids. I wish more people with that knowledge would not get kids and spread the pain of disease. Cut the sick tree branch I say.

I hope this answers the earlier question about what I meant with my earlier post.

Urban the swede (It is time to die when City win)

City won the other week 1-6 in your back yard..... go find a long piece of rope......

City won the other week 1-6 in your back yard..... go find a long piece of rope......

Think you will find it has been longer than that since it happened and in football you will always have one-off results that stun the world. After that United have not conceded any goals in the league and won all domestic games.

If City fooks it up now you have no excuse.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom