Shelter in place

No1uno

Member of the Month™
Subscriber
What are you doing to use the hours if this Covid situation is different from your regular routine. My daughter mentioned she realizes she won’t have the closure of her high school days and prom. My son says he has been training for this for years (being home and doing his art on the computer). My wife is indifferent and I guess a lot like me. We hang out together, we just fit. I have been spending a lot of time organizing the multiple tens of thousands of digital pictures of our family. Sorting by activity, year, continent and so forth. It seems like it could be a many months long activity that I may get the opportunity to finish, maybe not. It is awesome looking back. This is from a period in 2004/2005. Before there was a thing called vanlife, we already did it. We went everywhere.

What is occupying your time?

Listening to music.

Gallons of it.

While at the same time, trying to destroy my liver with alcohol.

Tonnes of it.

What are you doing to use the hours if this Covid situation is different from your regular routine. My daughter mentioned she realizes she won’t have the closure of her high school days and prom. My son says he has been training for this for years (being home and doing his art on the computer). My wife is indifferent and I guess a lot like me. We hang out together, we just fit. I have been spending a lot of time organizing the multiple tens of thousands of digital pictures of our family. Sorting by activity, year, continent and so forth. It seems like it could be a many months long activity that I may get the opportunity to finish, maybe not. It is awesome looking back. This is from a period in 2004/2005. Before there was a thing called vanlife, we already did it. We went everywhere.

What is occupying your time?

Good to have all the old pics organized. Do you leave them in their virtual "coffin" or do you also print some of them out?

There is this very strong umproductive streak running in my family, coming from my fathers side. We can just sit for hours on a comfy chair, drink tea and let the inner world unfold. It's like being in a stand-by mode. You have to be alone for that.
I sometimes wish i could switch into sth more productive, but once you are in it, it's difficult to get out, coz there is no desire to achieve anything.
I have this idea for a short story in my mind, but when your mind prefers being on vacation, then there is no way to get sth done.

My son is four and no longer in preschool so I’m actually doing less for myself and watching a whole lot more lion guard when I didn’t think that was possible. Built a raised garden a few days ago and that took like two min. We’re lucky though. Here we live next to water and we have a private beach where we can go so we’ve been spending more time there. Since he’s four I’m doing my best so he won’t notice how things have changed and getting out like this has been invaluable. When it got slightly warm we found a carpenter bee at my mothers who was only sorta defrosted by the erratic temps and took a video of my son feeding it sugar water and watching its proboscis extend. I actually had an aunt die in Baltimore city two weeks ago and that was an ordeal and experience which is still keeping me busy. The pandemic added an unbelievable amount of complication. We had to make a wall between her body and the city officials who wanted to do all sorts of things from trying to resuscitate her to taking 12 hours to figure out who and where they were gonna take the body. Her son wasn’t able to be there as he couldn’t travel or get away from the Air Force. It was and still is a mess as her funeral won’t be for a while

Good to have all the old pics organized. Do you leave them in their virtual "coffin" or do you also print some of them out?

There is this very strong umproductive streak running in my family, coming from my fathers side. We can just sit for hours on a comfy chair, drink tea and let the inner world unfold. It's like being in a stand-by mode. You have to be alone for that.
I sometimes wish i could switch into sth more productive, but once you are in it, it's difficult to get out, coz there is no desire to achieve anything.
I have this idea for a short story in my mind, but when your mind prefers being on vacation, then there is no way to get sth done.

I make books. I love just sitting down and flipping through them every now and then. Of each of these books, I have two more copies (in the attic) of each one so when the kids go out and have there own lives, the have there whole childhood in picture books to take with them.

I like printing the pictures, faming them and putting them up. If you keep the sizes uniform you can rearrange, add or remove quickly to spice it up in different areas of the house.

I’ve always made the books (from the year file). I did not separate the different trips though from the year file as well as I should. I’m trying to folder them up a little more specific. The big folders that are really time consuming to separate are the phone pic dumps. This just covers such a wide range of life I want them organized better.

My son is four and no longer in preschool so I’m actually doing less for myself and watching a whole lot more lion guard when I didn’t think that was possible. Built a raised garden a few days ago and that took like two min. We’re lucky though. Here we live next to water and we have a private beach where we can go so we’ve been spending more time there. Since he’s four I’m doing my best so he won’t notice how things have changed and getting out like this has been invaluable. When it got slightly warm we found a carpenter bee at my mothers who was only sorta defrosted by the erratic temps and took a video of my son feeding it sugar water and watching its proboscis extend. I actually had an aunt die in Baltimore city two weeks ago and that was an ordeal and experience which is still keeping me busy. The pandemic added an unbelievable amount of complication. We had to make a wall between her body and the city officials who wanted to do all sorts of things from trying to resuscitate her to taking 12 hours to figure out who and where they were gonna take the body. Her son wasn’t able to be there as he couldn’t travel or get away from the Air Force. It was and still is a mess as her funeral won’t be for a while

sorry about the family death. Have fun with your child. They grow amazingly fast, poof and then the are on their own adventure

Spring cleaning. Getting rid of a lot of useless stuff. Gardening. Painting (I’m working on two pieces at the moment that I’m really proud of.) Reading and watching movies.

I read in an article that we may have to Shelter In Place until possibly 2022 (according to researchers at Harvard University.) Scary thought.

I am mostly spending the time with my girlfriend, we reorganized the whole house. I have also been translating a lot (in most cases Latin to Spanish). I have been making a web for a small project... I have been helping my girlfriend with some online seminars she gives (somehow as her technological assistant, I don't get involved in the contents because I don't really know much about dance, which is what she teaches).
I have been cooking a lot.

What else? We have been watching a few movies, but I mean 2 movies per week... Not 7 movies each day.

We are probably more relaxed than we usually are.

Thankfully we get along perfectly well... So it's somehow like a strange honeymoon.

Today I have been filming her dancing for a project she has. Thankfully we are not bored and we mostly have fun without getting delusional (delusional= some people began to think that the quarantine is almost a blessing and the best thing that happened in history... I don't think that way, it's a weird dystopia, even if we are enjoying each day in the strange situation we are living).

Hopefully not!
this is absolutely absurd. I cant wait until people get angry and insane and start revolting. I hope that when that when things go back to normal it's not because the government said "okay, you may go outside now" but because people decided on their own to say f*** you to this bullshit.

Spring cleaning. Getting rid of a lot of useless stuff. Gardening. Painting (I’m working on two pieces at the moment that I’m really proud of.) Reading and watching movies.

I read in an article that we may have to Shelter In Place until possibly 2022 (according to researchers at Harvard University.) Scary thought.
I like this thought. This will give nature enough time time to heal some of its wounds, and mankind to come up with ideas for some practical utopian decision making. This IS the time for it! Some have to feel the consequences first before they can change. These "dystopian" times are nothing compared to what will happen after the ecological catastrophe has picked up even more pace.

the package from the garden center arrived this minute!! The postman refused to carry it upstairs coz it's so heavy. Which is okay with me, then i dont have to carry it all downstairs again.
So, no more nature writing for now. It's a lil bit warmer than yesterday, so i am off for the garden now.
We havent had rain for more than a month now, and it doesnt look like we'll get some this month. I was able to repair the sweep well last year, nothing would be possible without it at the moment, the 3 big rain barrels already empty.

Going stir crazy. Three weeks indoors with no end in sight. There is hardly anyone about. The weather is really warm so will go out in the garden later. At least the world isn't getting too polluted with very few cars running and most factories shut down. Every cloud......

I'm doing nothing. Just sleeping, unlearning to cook (going to the basics), buying essentials online, not thinking in the future because maybe there will not be a future, chatting in whatsapp, watching some films and series, not thinking in the past because everything seems old history now. Just the present, like in The Magic Mountain by Thomas Mann. When I read that book I felt it was the memory of something that was going to happen. And here it is.

I make books. I love just sitting down and flipping through them every now and then. Of each of these books, I have two more copies (in the attic) of each one so when the kids go out and have there own lives, the have there whole childhood in picture books to take with them.

I like printing the pictures, faming them and putting them up. If you keep the sizes uniform you can rearrange, add or remove quickly to spice it up in different areas of the house.

I’ve always made the books (from the year file). I did not separate the different trips though from the year file as well as I should. I’m trying to folder them up a little more specific. The big folders that are really time consuming to separate are the phone pic dumps. This just covers such a wide range of life I want them organized better.

sorry about the family death. Have fun with your child. They grow amazingly fast, poof and then the are on their own adventure

thanks. I’m writing a story about the ordeal and how hard it is to process the death with all of the convoluted complications and how it’s harder to return to the illusion of general composer when the outside world is constantly reminding you that you and your loved ones might die any moment. Also just the disruption of the mourning rituals and the elusively of closure. It all adds up to a strange new feeling for me. Anyway

yes they do grow up fast. Being a stay at home parent though all I ever do is play and go on adventures with him (no complaints really). We’re having another this September which I’m excited about (another boy) so luckily I’ll get to go on yet another adventure. Nothing challenges your beliefs like having a child and that’s extremely exciting for me. Julians going on his first canoe ride I think next week if it all works out and next year we can begin sailing lessons which is a thing if you live around here. You seem to be as fond of canyons and mountains as I am of water and creeks and I love that you and your family do things and go places. It’s a joy to see. Stay safe

Going stir crazy. Three weeks indoors with no end in sight. There is hardly anyone about. The weather is really warm so will go out in the garden later. At least the world isn't getting too polluted with very few cars running and most factories shut down. Every cloud......
'Every clown has silver tights on' as they don't say.

this is absolutely absurd. I cant wait until people get angry and insane and start revolting. I hope that when that when things go back to normal it's not because the government said "okay, you may go outside now" but because people decided on their own to say f*** you to this bullshit.
The virus isn't ideological... It won't go away offended because people are bored of it.
I think the answer is better treatments and eventually a vaccine.
I support the quarantines... And I don't support the mad governments who are sending people to die (Brazil comes to my mind).
The virus itself is not right wing or left wing or commie or liberal... It's simply a virus and a dangerous one. Pretending that it doesn't exist is not a good solution

I'm doing nothing. Just sleeping, unlearning to cook (going to the basics), buying essentials online, not thinking in the future because maybe there will not be a future, chatting in whatsapp, watching some films and series, not thinking in the past because everything seems old history now. Just the present, like in The Magic Mountain by Thomas Mann. When I read that book I felt it was the memory of something that was going to happen. And here it is.
you are absolutely right. it is exactly what thomas mann described in the magic mountain. only that hans castorp wanted to stay in the sanatorium far away from the preparations for ww1. (quite funny though, how he describes all the coughing folks... and his own coughing as "morgendlicher Auswurf" which can be translated as "matutinal sputum". read it decades ago but never forgot these words. there is always a little bit of nauseated upper-class irony in his very exact descriptions)

I kind of look at the family like a band. Sometimes the photos we take feel like we are band.

Pics from April of 2019 and January 2020

I am taking daily walks (individually) with the kids. It gives me a chance to check in with them and gets them out of the house.
The reality came last month with the mail coming to my daughter. My daughter is going off to college. She was accepted to every school she applied, except Stanford, thankfully that wasn’t her first choice. She has been accepted to all of her other top fives (including the one college early on she said she really wanted). I told her to really, really compare the top two, UCLA and UC Berkeley, then compare UC Davis, UC San Diego and UC Santa barbara. Very few people are given such great choices to pick from. I further implored her to compare the departments major and pick by that comparison. I don’t care which school she goes to. I do remind her it is the work she did, no one did it for her.
I guess she is leaving the band ......soon to head to the dorms. The blessing may be, that I get this covid time now with her.

that would be weird but I could do it. I know many people would not financially be able to do that. I think the way we do things in the world will be way different now. Heck, I was supposed to be in afrika for a month this July touring the Serengeti and hiking Kilimanjaro. That’s clearly been cancelled. It was going to be for my daughter too. But oh well.

I do understand what you mean. Are you saying, f*** you to this bullshit, or do you only want others to carry that load.

hang in there

thanks. I’m writing a story about the ordeal and how hard it is to process the death with all of the convoluted complications and how it’s harder to return to the illusion of general composer when the outside world is constantly reminding you that you and your loved ones might die any moment. Also just the disruption of the mourning rituals and the elusively of closure. It all adds up to a strange new feeling for me. Anyway

yes they do grow up fast. Being a stay at home parent though all I ever do is play and go on adventures with him (no complaints really). We’re having another this September which I’m excited about (another boy) so luckily I’ll get to go on yet another adventure. Nothing challenges your beliefs like having a child and that’s extremely exciting for me. Julians going on his first canoe ride I think next week if it all works out and next year we can begin sailing lessons which is a thing if you live around here. You seem to be as fond of canyons and mountains as I am of water and creeks and I love that you and your family do things and go places. It’s a joy to see. Stay safe

awesome awesome awesome

No1uno... Your kids look just like you.
I like the peculiar blue faces of your family!
It's in the genes.

Right now I am taking the adventure of going to the supermarket with all my dystopian devices (mask, globes, glasses and a second mask that covers the whole head).
The world got so strange that nobody will find it odd... Actually, they will have a similar uniform. Oh well...

I kind of look at the family like a band. Sometimes the photos we take feel like we are band.

Pics from April of 2019 and January 2020

I am taking daily walks (individually) with the kids. It gives me a chance to check in with them and gets them out of the house.
The reality came last month with the mail coming to my daughter. My daughter is going off to college. She was accepted to every school she applied, except Stanford, thankfully that wasn’t her first choice. She has been accepted to all of her other top fives (including the one college early on she said she really wanted). I told her to really, really compare the top two, UCLA and UC Berkeley, then compare UC Davis, UC San Diego and UC Santa barbara. Very few people are given such great choices to pick from. I further implored her to compare the departments major and pick by that comparison. I don’t care which school she goes to. I do remind her it is the work she did, no one did it for her.
I guess she is leaving the band ......soon to head to the dorms. The blessing may be, that I get this covid time now with her.

that would be weird but I could do it. I know many people would not financially be able to do that. I think the way we do things in the world will be way different now. Heck, I was supposed to be in afrika for a month this July touring the Serengeti and hiking Kilimanjaro. That’s clearly been cancelled. It was going to be for my daughter too. But oh well.

I do understand what you mean. Are you saying, f*** you to this bullshit, or do you only want others to carry that load.

hang in there

awesome awesome awesome

im ready to go back to normal. I work in a grocery store at the moment. im not afraid in the slightest. it's just a virus. most people survive. freedom always comes with a cost and the cost of freedom is worth it and im sickened that people are satisfied to being reduced to medical bodies, having people tell them where they can and cannot stand, shutting off parks, telling them you cant go see your parents/friends/boyfriend/etc and that these cold calculated and unnatural conditions might just carry on until 2020. are we all such braindead zombies that we think "ok, cool, if you say so"

Back
Top Bottom