Sinéad O'Connor ~ "Rememberings" autobiography

joe frady

Vile Refusenik
í intend acquiring this next week, but just wondered whether anyone around these parts had read it yet, and could offer a review.

And any Morrissey mentions within?

í intend acquiring this next week, but just wondered whether anyone around these parts had read it yet, and could offer a review.

And any Morrissey mentions within?

Just 2 in the whole book:

"There Is a Light and It Never Goes Out, 1987

I AM ON TOUR in freezing England, supporting INXS. Right after I had agreed to tour with them, David Bowie asked me to support his band. It was a disappointment that I couldn’t accept but it’s brilliant that he asked me nonetheless. Mike Joyce and Andy Rourke, from the Smiths, are in my band. Andy is the funniest person I’ve ever met in my life. I love him.
Andy and his brothers would be on acid when the parish priest came round for tea with them and their father. The boys had to try to act normal round the table and not be crying-laughing. That’s one reason I love Andy—he cry-laughs. Crying-laughing is the greatest feeling ever and the funniest thing to watch. Him and Mike are really funny together. They make each other roll around on the floor. I love Mike too. They’ve made me love Manchester people. Dead straight. No bullshit. No un-frank conversation. Also, they treat me like a boy, which makes me a happy girl."

"In America in 2016 I stayed a few days with the one person I knew who might have an available floor. He then put me with a lovely family he knew, the Walkers. Which I was glad about because I didn’t like the way he treated his wife; he dealt with her like she was dirt. (When I left, I should have taken her with me.)
While staying with the Walkers, who lived in a tree-lined suburb of Chicago called Wilmette, I went to lots of psych appointments and had lots of counseling. Matt Walker is Morrissey’s drummer. His wife is Charlotte. And they are the people I owe my life to because if not for them having me live with them and if not for Charlotte bringing me to the doctor and the therapy appointments and staying around with me, I wouldn’t be here tonight writing. Without her at that time I could not walk."

See inbox too.
Loved early period Sinéad - The Lion And The Cobra is an extremely good album.
Regards,
FWD.

I just started reading it today, will let you know whether Morrissey/Smiths is being mentioned

EDIT : FWD just beat me to it :)

Just 2 in the whole book:

"There Is a Light and It Never Goes Out, 1987

I AM ON TOUR in freezing England, supporting INXS. Right after I had agreed to tour with them, David Bowie asked me to support his band. It was a disappointment that I couldn’t accept but it’s brilliant that he asked me nonetheless. Mike Joyce and Andy Rourke, from the Smiths, are in my band. Andy is the funniest person I’ve ever met in my life. I love him.
Andy and his brothers would be on acid when the parish priest came round for tea with them and their father. The boys had to try to act normal round the table and not be crying-laughing. That’s one reason I love Andy—he cry-laughs. Crying-laughing is the greatest feeling ever and the funniest thing to watch. Him and Mike are really funny together. They make each other roll around on the floor. I love Mike too. They’ve made me love Manchester people. Dead straight. No bullshit. No un-frank conversation. Also, they treat me like a boy, which makes me a happy girl."

"In America in 2016 I stayed a few days with the one person I knew who might have an available floor. He then put me with a lovely family he knew, the Walkers. Which I was glad about because I didn’t like the way he treated his wife; he dealt with her like she was dirt. (When I left, I should have taken her with me.)
While staying with the Walkers, who lived in a tree-lined suburb of Chicago called Wilmette, I went to lots of psych appointments and had lots of counseling. Matt Walker is Morrissey’s drummer. His wife is Charlotte. And they are the people I owe my life to because if not for them having me live with them and if not for Charlotte bringing me to the doctor and the therapy appointments and staying around with me, I wouldn’t be here tonight writing. Without her at that time I could not walk."

See inbox too.
Loved early period Sinéad - The Lion And The Cobra is an extremely good album.
Regards,
FWD.

Merci Célèbre Quand Mort!

A little surprised that no more included.
í think í read somewhere, in one of the many interviews Sinéad is doing in promo, that she had asked a number of people ahead of publication whether they were OK with being written about, and a few individuals requested retractions. Maybe Moz was one. Maybe not.

Sadly, í have an unnatural interest in who they were bitching about over that '91 Bowdon tea service. And is he a cry-laugher too?

Merci Célèbre Quand Mort!

A little surprised that no more included.
í think í read somewhere, in one of the many interviews Sinéad is doing in promo, that she had asked a number of people ahead of publication whether they were OK with being written about, and a few individuals requested retractions. Maybe Moz was one. Maybe not.

When I read that she left out some people 'because I know they prefer privacy' I immediately thought of him, too.

Sadly, í have an unnatural interest in who they were bitching about over that '91 Bowdon tea service. And is he a cry-laugher too?

I don't think he is. I believe he's a chuckler.

Thanks @Famous when dead for the quotes... would still like to hear overall thoughts and if worth a read for a casual fan?

I finished the book and i really enjoyed it. It is definitely worth reading, even if not the biggest fan of her music. I think this book provides a good insight in her life and in the music industry. She is not scared to share her opinion as we all know, specifically when it comes to her childhood. Sometimes heartbreaking, but also very funny at times. Absolutely recommended imho

I decided to get this on Audiobook the day it came out and Im happy I did, her lived Irish tones really drive the points home.
I would upload it, I have no idea how to .

I do recommend

Sinead O'Connor Rememberings......The Smiths Bits

I am halfway through the Sinead O'Connor book "Rememberings". In part two there is a bit about Mike and Andy. She doesn't have chapter numbers, but this chapter is called There Is A Light That Never Goes Out, 1987

She talks about how Mike and Andy treat her like a boy and she likes that. "Andy is the funniest person I've ever met in my life. I love him." "Andy and his brothers would be on acid when the parish priest came round for tea with them and their father. The boys had to try to act normal round the table and not be crying-laughing"

She talks about her and Andy being beaten up one time trying to get into a club. No mention of Morrissey at this juncture in the book. I suspect he will not be here since Andy has been crowned the funniest person she has ever met.

I will write a proper review of the book once I am finished. As of now, she writes like the troubled girl who you want to help. To me, she has always been someone that I wanted to give a big hug and tell her everything is going to be all right. She is just a cuddly teddy bear and she writes with a child-like nativity. No ghostwriter is involved in this book. Not to say that she can't write, but it's no Morrissey autobiography.

I have an extra copy if anyone is interested. Just PM me.

I reckon props to her m8. I reckon at least she wrote her own autobiography, not some dude in Encino chipper curry fek'll throw another shrimp on the barbey inn nn n nnnn n n nnn n it.

Back
Top Bottom