Morrissey Central Sky Sports apologise after libellous comment about Morrissey is aired during Sunday Supplement live broadcast - London Evening Standard

Geoff Shreeves was forced to apologise on behalf of Sky Sports after a libellous comment about Morrissey was aired during the live broadcast of Sunday Supplement.

Excerpt:

With presenter Shreeves and his four-man panel of reporters live streaming from home, the comment was heard at the start of the show.

A conversation was heard between members of the panel, before a libellous comment about the iconic frontman of The Smiths was heard.

The show continued, but following its first advertisement break, Shreeves apologised for the comments made by the Telegraph’s chief football writer, Sam Wallace.

Shreeves said: "At the start of this of this program a brief private conversation was unintentionally broadcast. It was not meant for broadcast and any conversation does not reflect the views of Sky Sports."

Here’s the video:

UPDATE:

Alexi posted the link:

Excerpt:

Sky Sports have been forced to apologise after comments made by one of the guests on their Sunday Supplement show accidentally made the air.

The guest appeared to say "Morrissey's been cancelled hasn't he as he's basically turned out to be a racist", before host Geoff Shreeves swiftly let them know the broadcast had already begun.

UPDATE 11:20 AM PT:

Posted by Famous when dead:

Now a Central post:
"SKY SPORTS AIR LIBELLOUS OUS COMMENT ABOUT MORRISSEY"

SKY SPORTS AIR LIBELLOUS COMMENT ABOUT MORRISSEY:
SUNDAY TELEGRAPH JOURNALIST SAM WALLACE EXPOSES MORRISSEY TO HATRED, RIDICULE AND INJURY

SER's video text and video appear on Central.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wrong. He specifically said "the Chinese" and in recent weeks his site has posted at lest twice implying "see? I was right all along."
I don't know shit about PR, Karen, but I do know that "he was very upset when he said that" is the best way past it. If you claim he didn't say it when anyone with eyes and ears can see that he did, you're insulting your audience but more importantly you're not providing closure.
I don't blame him for saying it given the horrific footage I've seen, and immediately after seeing these things a person might say all sorts of things that they later wish to modify, clarify, or apologize for.
He did clarify and somewhat modify his original statement but he never claimed not to have said it.
Karen, he has made millions of dollars through his ability to manipulate language. "Subspecies" is not some random word he landed on. It was deliberate. He wanted attention for this issue above all else, and he was successful. Give him credit for that.
And he's had to pay for it to some degree for years by having the phrase taken out of context and repeated many times.
He did it on purpose and he has paid the price. If you need to excuse it for whatever reason go ahead but don't deny it happened.
Thing is no matter how it was said and whatever words were used, it's true, why beat around the bush? It was an observation that has been quoted out of context so many times but forget all that because it is true and the whole World is suffering now because of it.

Some minor Moz related stuff from 2017 from Wallace, & a couple of comments based on more recent events, to which he seems to have not replied. Does he have an issue with Moz?

Sam Wallace

Capturetw.JPG

Racists caregorise people by racial background and like and dislike people in those categories different amounts accordingly. He quite likes latinos, according to his autobiography, because they have shiny hair. I'm not joking, that's actually true.
Stop talking utter mince!

These guys apologise that means MOZ IS NOT RACIST, AND MOZ IS NOT RACIST PERIOD.
MOZ : DO NOT PAY ATTENTION .
THOSE OF US WHO LOVE YOU KNOW THAT YOU ARE NOT RACIST,ONLY FRONTAL AND 0 HIPOCRITICAL
LOVE FOR MOZ!!!!

MOZ NO ES RACISTA OOOOO RACISTA 10 TALENTO !!!!AMOR PURO POR MOZ VIVA MOZ AND I !!!!!!!!

Sounds like he does, either because of the EU or the EU is the excuse.
No, don't think it was that...the upper post was in relation to a John Lewis Christmas TV ad in 2017 where the big monster was called Moz.
Capturemo.JPG

lol what even is this trash

One of the replies mentioned Europe. So, I thought maybe his issue with him was Brexit.

Cast your mind back to 2017. People were divided & angry.

Last edited by a moderator:
Free speech

Karen, it doesn't matter if he thought this was the quote that would get attention. You don't know what he thought. This is one of your problems, Karen. You're always telling us what Morrissey thinks or thought. I disagree anyway. I think he knew when he said the thing about "Madonna's African child" that it was going to get attention. I think when he said "worse things happen at Kentucky Fried Shit everyday" it was going to get attention. I think he deliberately used "subspecies" when talking about "the Chinese" because he knew it would get attention.
But we don't have to argue about what we think he meant. What he actually said is on record. There is nothing hypothetical about it. Because he said "one can't help but think" it's hypothetical?
If that were true then why the repeated "Kung Flu" and the reposting of Bill Maher asking why we don't call it "the Chinese Flu?" Of course there is always the question of whether Morrissey has any involvement or knowledge of the things posted on his site.
Again, it doesn't matter. We have the words. It doesn't matter if you, the interviewer, @Ketamine Sun, or anyone else would like to explain, interpret, translate, or do an interpretive dance about what he "really meant." To believe that he did not know what he was saying is to believe he got very, very lucky to have written the songs he wrote which seem to show a really highly skilled command of language.
Ketamine Sun has said that he chose these words to get attention. At least she is honest. Maybe that's what you mean by hyperbole? Yes he is a troll. He says things to get attention. He has been doing it his whole career, before Internet trolls existed.
So your argument is that he doesn't mean it? The public is not responsible for knowing what he meant or didn't mean. Usually the argument is that "it was taken out of context," or "he wasn't talking about all Chinese." He WAS talking all Chinese. "Subspecies" makes it very clear that he is talking about a subset of ALL human beings.
You people that try to defend this a million different ways are the reason it won't just die. Everyone gets angry and says things. He had a reason to be angry. That is the best explanation. It's simple and it rings true. All that nonsense about what the interviewer thinks (which is some brand new bullshit, Karen; I really thought I'd heard it all) doesn't matter.
No one with any sense is going to believe that statement meant anything other than what was explicitly and deliberately stated. Please let it go so we don't have to talk about it for another ten years.

Not really what I said. If he said what he said to get attention, it was NOT attention for himself, but attention for the subject of animal cruelty. To give a voice to the voiceless. So ‘trolling’ ? No.

The subspecies comment was aimed at those that practice such cruelty to animals in China, for that was the subject between him and the interviewer being discussed. If people think he was saying that all Chinese people are a subspecies then they’re f***ing idiots.

the world is hopelessly partisan and divided...in the states, people are ready to take up arms to settle deep divisions regarding covid lock down orders, not even to mention the upcoming presidential election, all stemming from a rabid hatred between the left and right...if history teaches us anything...you know it repeats itself.....I sadly fear another civil war could be on the near horizon.

Not really what I said. If he said what he said to get attention, it was NOT attention for himself, but attention for the subject of animal cruelty. To give a voice to the voiceless. So ‘trolling’ ? No.

The subspecies comment was aimed at those that practice such cruelty to animals in China, for that was the subject between him and the interviewer being discussed. If people think he was saying that all Chinese people are a subspecies then they’re f***ing idiots.
It doesn't matter who it was aimed at. It matters what words he used. As Chameleon noted, Morrissey is someone with an advanced and poetic grasp of language. Now we're all going to collectively assume that we know better than he in his intent?

It reminds me of when Eminem was getting slack in the 90s for using the word 'f*****' in his music. He defended himself in the press, saying that he wasn't actually referring to gay people, it was merely shorthand for people he disrespected. Uh, okay.

Morrissey may have been aiming his barb at the specific lot of people who practice animal cruelty in China, but when you say 'one can't help but think of the Chinese as a subspecies' then you should be self-aware enough to see how your idiotic statement can be easily taken out of context. No sympathy.

It doesn't matter who it was aimed at. It matters what words he used. As Chameleon noted, Morrissey is someone with an advanced and poetic grasp of language. Now we're all going to collectively assume that we know better than he in his intent?

It reminds me of when Eminem was getting slack in the 90s for using the word 'f*****' in his music. He defended himself in the press, saying that he wasn't actually referring to gay people, it was merely shorthand for people he disrespected. Uh, okay.

Morrissey may have been aiming his barb at the specific lot of people who practice animal cruelty in China, but when you say 'one can't help but think of the Chinese as a subspecies' then you should be self-aware enough to see how your idiotic statement can be easily taken out of context. No sympathy.

It doesn't matter who it was aimed at.’

Of course it does,otherwise we wouldn’t be having this discussion.

Of course it can be taken out of context, as it has. And of course if heard by someone who is not an animal activist it might sound like an idiotic statement.

I don’t feel the word was really that calculated. Seems more of an emotional response, and he just said the worse thing that could be said out
of disgust, anger, and frustration that things like this are allowed to go on.

Morrissey is someone with an advanced and poetic grasp of language.’

I agree, but do you really believe that?
For I seem to recall in other threads you often saying that his lyrics now are not as good as his past lyrics.

Anyway, his use of the word subspecies was aimed at those in China that treat animals in a horrific manner. And that’s all that matters.

Last edited:
Of course it can be taken out of context, as it has. And of course if heard by someone who is not an animal activist it might sound like an idiotic statement.

I don’t feel the word was really that calculated. Seems more of an emotional response, and he just said the worse thing that could be said out

For I seem to recall in other threads you often saying that his lyrics now are not as good as his past lyrics.

Anyway, his use of the word subspecies was aimed at those in China that treat animals in a horrific manner. And that’s all that matters.
You can blow your text up as big and it'll go and paint it with all sorts of colors but it doesn't make your 'point' any less irrelevant. Chalking it up to Morrissey being in a heightened emotional state doesn't absolve him of the content of his statement. It's not as if one becomes a different person because their emotional equilibrium has been disrupted, it's just that their guard is down and another facet of their personality reveals itself. The old Mel Gibson excuse, "Sorry, sometimes when I get drunk I get extremely antisemitic. Just one of those things!"

And of course I feel that Morrissey has an advanced and poetic grasp of language. He hasn't made good music in over a decade, but very very few artists maintain their gift for their entire life. I don't think noticing that his lyrics aren't as good now as they used to be is a particularly controversial opinion.

It doesn't matter who it was aimed at.’

Of course it does,otherwise we wouldn’t be having this discussion.

So you're saying there was implied"the Chinese (who treat animals horrifically) are a subspecies," then?

You can blow your text up as big and it'll go and paint it with all sorts of colors but it doesn't make your 'point' any less irrelevant. Chalking it up to Morrissey being in a heightened emotional state doesn't absolve him of the content of his statement. It's not as if one becomes a different person because their emotional equilibrium has been disrupted, it's just that their guard is down and another facet of their personality reveals itself. The old Mel Gibson excuse, "Sorry, sometimes when I get drunk I get extremely antisemitic. Just one of those things!"

And of course I feel that Morrissey has an advanced and poetic grasp of language. He hasn't made good music in over a decade, but very very few artists maintain their gift for their entire life. I don't think noticing that his lyrics aren't as good now as they used to be is a particularly controversial opinion.

First you say he has an advanced and poetic grasp of language, then you say
his lyrics are not as good as they use to be. Don’t think you can have both.

No one needs to ‘absolve’ what Morrissey says or does, and I certainly wasn’t.

He was right to feel and respond. As much bad as people think it’s done, it’s more important that the subject was given some attention. But unfortunately not enough. Hell, the world would probably not be in the situation it is now if the subject was given more attention and action was taken, in regards to the subject of wet markets and the virus.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom