Smiths tribute night axed over Morrissey's politics - Birmingham Live

Smiths tribute night axed as organisers tire of defending Morrissey's politics - Birmingham Live
Dwindling crowds at Panic on the Streets of Birmingham at Eden Bar

Quote: "A Birmingham (UK) tribute night dedicated to The Smiths has been axed - after organisers grew tired of defending Morrissey's controversial political views."

Seems a bit drastic as Smiths/Morrissey fans are disappointed the popular evening out was pulled:

"Many fans took to social media to express their sadness at the news.

On Facebook, Danny Grainger said: "Me and my dad came to the first one it was brilliant great memories. I also met an ex-girlfriend at one of these nights, hope you have some good photos."

John Keir commented: "Great disco and has been a brilliant after-show following the Brum gigs. A real shame. Thanks for some great nights."

2_JS55971765.jpg

UPDATE 4:50PM PT:

Posted by Famous when dead:

The actual post & reaction:

Last edited by a moderator:
When Marr has to cancel shows because of all this hoo-ha then you know it’s gotten bad in Soviet Britain.

When that happens, I’m sure Marr will start defending Morrissey in order to save his bread and butter which is the Smiths legacy.

It's interesting the effect that the Moz-troversy is having on Johnny Marr. Whether through design or simple luck, Mr. Marr's PR moves have the look of genius. I believe both Billy Bragg (this has nothing to to with my friend Johnny - he's great) and Nick Cave (the songs belong to the people) are surrogates for Marr. They are justifying both audience reactions to Morrissey's views, but those reactions leave Marr in the clear.

Both his stellar Glastonbury set and his appearance with the Killers (the 2 YouTube videos will hit 2 million views soon) were large-scale PR dreams. Add to that the little story of the student guitarist playing on stage with him in Exeter, a really warm and charming moment. I don't think that was staged - if so, Johnny needs to go into acting, but his people made sure that story got out.

Then this week, his anti-Boris Johnson tweet went viral and so far has 45,000 likes.

He continues to play festivals across Europe featuring many Smiths songs and his UK solo shows are all sold out.

If anything, he should hope that Morrissey keeps speaking his mind. Or Moz should hire Johnny's PR people.

People vote with their money. How hard is it for the racist f***wits to understand that?

I've been saying it for ages - the reckoning for Morrissey comes when the money is no longer coming in. It really is as simple as that. We can argue all we like here - it doesn't matter - it all comes down to money ultimately.

Pathetic. Wait until some smarmy simpleton decides that suicide is a taboo subject, criminalise it, and ban Joy Division tribute nights. Why read Orwell's 1984 when it's happening right now.
Edit: if the organisers couldn't sustain it due to economics then they have the right to do that, if dwindling numbers is the real reason.

Absolute tosh. No one is silencing anyone, the public are voting with their wallet.

To do a Smiths tribute night, every month, at the same venue, and keep attendance consistently high is a tall order in itself. It makes perfect sense it would eventually dissolve.

Soon people will think that England was always multi-cultural. That millions of non-white people have always been here. It's a bizarre thought that this re-imagining of England as some kind of 51st State of the USA will be the norm.

England is NOT monocultural. Get history books, you might find a few things like the romans or the normans for example. If the real 'Britons' are those of the paleolithic then you surely are far from being one. Then the fact that you link 'culture' with 'non-white people' shows how much of a racist you are. Again, if the real 'Britons' are those of the paleolithic, they probably were not THAT white. So, that leads to believe you are talking about 20th century England. Something probably around the 1950's... No african had been brought here since the 1700's or not indian had been brought here since the 1800's... You really are re-imagining England. Stop talking about culture, get to know it! So go wash your filthy mouth, I've just come in it.

England is NOT monocultural. Get history books, you might find a few things like the romans or the normans for example. If the real 'Britons' are those of the paleolithic then you surely are far from being one. Then the fact that you link 'culture' with 'non-white people' shows how much of a racist you are. Again, if the real 'Britons' are those of the paleolithic, they probably were not THAT white. So, that leads to believe you are talking about 20th century England. Something probably around the 1950's... No african had been brought here since the 1700's or not indian had been brought here since the 1800's... You really are re-imagining England. Stop talking about culture, get to know it! So go wash your filthy mouth, I've just come in it.
England may never have been entirely monocultural, but it was a virtually all-white country until very, very recently.

And people naturally prefer their own race. Anthropological studies have proven this, but you can see it with your own eyes. Schoolchildren in London, for example. Go past any school at lunchtime when kids go out or at hometime. Ethnic groups flock together.

The propagandists try to sell us diversity as a melting pot, but by and large it isn't. People may live side by side on a street but look at people's friendship groups. Most whites hang with whites and most blacks with blacks. You can even see this on social media and dating sites. Mixing is a minority thing, and the norm is for people to choose their own ethnicity in everything.

'Diversity'
is divisive.

Last edited:
England may never have been entirely monocultural, but it was a virtually all-white country until very, very recently.

Virtually that's the word. Keep on dreaming of a virtual world that never existed and go reclaim your pizza héritage. Stupidity is divisive .

And people naturally prefer their own race. Anthropological studies have proven this, but you can see it with your own eyes. Schoolchildren in London, for example. Go past any school at lunchtime when kids go out or at hometime. Ethnic groups flock together.

Naturally, that's the word. We are not people of nature but people of culture. Way before the paleolothic. Ignorance is divisive.

Virtually that's the word. Keep on dreaming of a virtual world that never existed and go reclaim your pizza héritage. Stupidity is divisive .
England was white. You can't rewrite history, not successfully, not unless you kill off all the people who know the truth. England was never a crime-ridden, multicultural, alienating mess until very recently.

You are an establishment fool and tool. And they've indoctrinated you well because you don't even realize this.

England was white. You can't rewrite history, not successfully, not unless you kill off all the people who know the truth. England was never a crime-ridden, multicultural, alienating mess until very recently.

Well, a whole nation turns its back and gags. Stop making a fool of yourself, have some dignity.

Well, a whole nation turns its back and gags. Stop making a fool of yourself, have some dignity.
Tell the truth. Always. Don't suck up to the identity politics of the establishment. It's here to divide us.

They know what they're doing with that idiocy. And they love people like you. But they will never reward you. You're working for free.

THE SMYTHS are still playing the big Birmingham O2 Academy venue this December. Good for them.

I'm thinking of going to their London 100 Club gig this month and Putney & Brighton in September.

https://www.thesmyths.net/gig-list/

https://twitter.com/thesmythsuk

https://www.facebook.com/thedefinitivesmithstribute/

As was mentioned previously the Brum Eden Bar nights every month was probably an important factor to cancel, but the organisers say they hope to revive the shows maybe once or twice a year which would be more sustainable methinks.

Last edited:

And people naturally prefer their own race. Anthropological studies have proven this, but you can see it with your own eyes. Schoolchildren in London, for example. Go past any school at lunchtime when kids go out or at hometime. Ethnic groups flock together. The propagandists try to sell us diversity as a melting pot, but by and large it isn't. People may live side by side on a street but look at people's friendship groups. Most whites hang with whites and most blacks with blacks. You can even see this on social media and dating sites. Mixing is a minority thing, and the norm is for people to choose their own ethnicity in everything.
'Diversity'
is divisive.
ef24d34b46d5be5495b4cf7ccbc362197ac26f2cv2_hq.jpg

The propagandists try to sell us diversity as a melting pot, but by and large it isn't. People may live side by side on a street but look at people's friendship groups. Most whites hang with whites and most blacks with blacks. You can even see this on social media and dating sites. Mixing is a minority thing, and the norm is for people to choose their own ethnicity in everything.

'Diversity'
is divisive.

Another thread, another irrelevant comment from Reelfountain attempting to spread discontentment and hatred.

Shall we dive in?

"but it was a virtually all-white country until very, very recently." More than a little vague here - as is the norm. What is the period of time to which you are referring when you state with confidence "very recently"? Can you clarify what you mean by "virtually all-white" with some statistical analysis? I'm sure you have demographic data to hand - otherwise why would you have made such a statement presenting itself as fact? It would also be quite helpful, you know, for those of us who haven't read the alt-right handbook what you mean by white? Is there a spectrum? Is there some kind of test that one can take to prove one's whiteness?

Ah the world of the misleading generalisation ...

" ... people naturally prefer their own race. Anthropological studies have proven this, but you can see it with your own eyes." I'd be keen to read these anthropological studies, that have not been cited, that explicitly confirm that people, 'naturally' prefer their own race. It'd also be helpful to be provided with a defintion of what 'naturally' means in this context - as it stands it's more than a little unclear.

"Schoolchildren in London, for example. Go past any school at lunchtime when kids go out or at hometime. Ethnic groups flock together." Kids can and do flock together at lunchtime, hometime and indeed lots of other times. I haven't ever read a study, perhaps you could avail me of one, that confirms that children come together on such occasions based solely on their ethnicity.

The propagandists try to sell us diversity as a melting pot, but by and large it isn't. People may live side by side on a street but look at people's friendship groups. Most whites hang with whites and most blacks with blacks. You can even see this on social media and dating sites. The most telling thing about this paragraph is that you troll social media dating sites and have seemingly calculated the ratio of - let's say white and non-whites that seems as though it might be easier for you to understand - crossover and non-crossover of ethnicities engaging in social media dating. As you've clearly done all of the work, your statement was factual afterall all, wasnt it? Perhaps you'd like to provide us with the statisitcs and references that support your assertion?

Mixing is a minority thing, and the norm is for people to choose their own ethnicity in everything. How, or indeed why you came to this conclusion is more than a little contardictory. Your constant refrain has been that the white race is being diluted by blacks, asians, jews etc. But ... if all ethnicities only choose their own ethnicity in EVERYTHING then how is your argument about the dilution of the white race supported? You seemed to have tripped over your own shoe-laces of stupidity there. Tsk!

It's interesting the effect that the Moz-troversy is having on Johnny Marr. Whether through design or simple luck, Mr. Marr's PR moves have the look of genius. I believe both Billy Bragg (this has nothing to to with my friend Johnny - he's great) and Nick Cave (the songs belong to the people) are surrogates for Marr. They are justifying both audience reactions to Morrissey's views, but those reactions leave Marr in the clear.

Both his stellar Glastonbury set and his appearance with the Killers (the 2 YouTube videos will hit 2 million views soon) were large-scale PR dreams. Add to that the little story of the student guitarist playing on stage with him in Exeter, a really warm and charming moment. I don't think that was staged - if so, Johnny needs to go into acting, but his people made sure that story got out.

Then this week, his anti-Boris Johnson tweet went viral and so far has 45,000 likes.

He continues to play festivals across Europe featuring many Smiths songs and his UK solo shows are all sold out.

If anything, he should hope that Morrissey keeps speaking his mind. Or Moz should hire Johnny's PR people.

‘If anything, he should hope that Morrissey keeps speaking his mind.’

Why do you think that?

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom