Sneezing and laughter at the end of Interesting Drug

M

Mr. Man

I know it's been discussed here before (what hasn't at this point, really?), but I got to wondering if maybe the sneezing at the end of Interesting Drug might be a clue as to which 'drug' Moz was singing about in the lyrics. Cocaine? Snuff? What could it be?

Also, just wanted to point out the macabre laughter at the end of the song is actually being 'played' on a sampler with the pitch rising and descending in case you never noticed it before. You can hear this exact same laughter sample played in the Hulmerist video. It was actually played from the soundboard during the Wolverhampton concert in between songs and Morrissey tried to make it look like it was him doing the laugh into the microphone but the timing was a little off. I can't recall which song it was before on Hulmerist. Maybe Interesting Drug. I wonder what the original source of the laugh is? It's well known he's always been a fan of horror comics and eerie things in general. Like that record of spirits speaking that he got the 'You are sleeping' sample from.

It is suggested that the sneeze is just one of those 'studio things' - where the take had a sneeze at the end.
He would also sneeze at the end of the song live - so probably something unintentional that became a joke to repeat on stage.
Regards,
FWD.

It is suggrsted that the sneeze is just one of those 'studio things' - where the take had a sneeze at the end.
He would also sneeze at the end of the song live - so probably something unintentional that became a joke to repeat on stage.
Regards,
FWD.

Thanks FWD. I recall reading that speculation here as well. To me, the fact that they went ahead and actually SAMPLED the sneeze and played it as an instrument in time to the music suggests that it was purposely placed in the song and not just randomly left in as a joke. This coupled with the laughter seems to have some intent to the meaning of the song. But maybe not.

Fairly certain the drug in question is ecstasy.
Everyone seems to think this because of his admission to taking Ecstasy around that time but I feel like that could just be a coincidence. He's never said this for certain anyway that I can recall, right? Though it does seem an easy explanation.

Fairly certain the drug in question is ecstasy.

I think it's the only one he's mentioned taking - so it's likely.

(I don't believe it's the only drug he's taken though - no one just pops an eccie).

To debate the ending, you'd have to clearly outline how "the fact that they went ahead and actually SAMPLED the sneeze and played it as an instrument in time to the music" was being ascertained. As many will say that's not anything you can know well enough to talk about with just how it sounds/feels to yourself.
Regards,
FWD.

(Keeping in mind there are quite a few leaked songs/outtakes that also have studio sounds left on).

I think it's the only one he's mentioned taking - so it's likely.

(I don't believe it's the only drug he's taken though - no one just pops an eccie).
He was quite fond of Valium as a youth. Escape to Valium - Escape from Valium

To debate the ending, you'd have to clearly outline how "the fact that they went ahead and actually SAMPLED the sneeze and played it as an instrument in time to the music" was being ascertained. As many will say that's not anything you can know well enough to talk about with just how it sounds/feels to yourself.
Regards,
FWD.

(Keeping in mind there are quite a few leaked songs/outtakes that also have studio sounds left on).
Wait, sorry, I meant to say they sampled the LAUGHTER and played IT along to the music. The sneezes (there are at least 2 in there) are just in the mix. My mistake. But for certain they absolutely were playing the sampled laughter on a keyboard. I'm gonna go ask Stephen Street about all this now and get back to all the people that I just know are dying to know. You know? lol.

Back
Top Bottom