Someone remastered the "Some Girls..." only live performance, and it sounds awesome!

The "Ohh I say" part drives me bonkers. :horny:

Is it not just the b-side from the I Started Something... single?

No, there is a clear difference. Same recording, of course, but there is far more depth to it now. Bass is up in the mix (Andy won't like us noticing he missed a note at 1:59), drums and vocals have more depth and the audience is far more clearly audible. And of course Johnny's guitar shines even more brightly :)

Still a shame about the offhand vocal delivery though...

This sounds indeed better than the live b-side, from 1987. Marr's guitar is much clearer, the overall sound better.

no drumm or bass to much, not Johnny's guitarplaying overwhelming, as it was, and the last, and not the least
point, Morrissey's voice is much better in this whole song

Wish this sound was add on Rank, but that was another show

Thanks a lot for this , it made my day, or the past freaking days, like nothinh happened, it brightened my heart and mind.

Those 4 were the Smiths, and still are Legendary, and with this it shows the musiclovers of today what influence the 4 Mancunians had and still have .

Amen!

' and they say he's mentall'..as if they didn't know...

Last edited:
Watched this several times yesterday and again just now, and it is hard not to get misty eyed at such apparently effortless brilliance. The vehement Morrissey as a solo artist fans go a little quiet when the Smiths make an appearance on here. Stunned into silence, or perhaps just embarrassed by the comparison between this and the Hollywood High clip.

I do get misty-eyed listening to J. Marr - he is to guitar what Morrissey is to vocals: complex, nuanced and singular. As has been said so many, many times: we're all lucky that they found each other and managed to make it work for a few, brief years. Yes, all hail the effortless brilliance of innovative youth.

Morrissey as a solo artist certainly reached and surpassed these heights vocally and lyrically (I never cared for SGABTO - I've always considered it a bit of a throwaway). That being said, Morrissey never again worked with a musical artist on his level.

The Hollywood High clip is unfortunate - enough people have pointed out that it's not representative of what he's capable of now. If he'd filmed Brooklyn, it would have been a triumph.

It's futile to compare a twenty-something artist to his fifty-something self; one is hungry, the other has eaten his fill (insert fat joke here).

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom