SOMETHING IS SQUEEZING MY SKULL: Full Lyrics

I thought the HRT bit might be Moz being facetious, but who knows? Personally I thought the title of this song was unutterably ridiculous (and still do to a degree!) but the lines "I'm doing very well/I can block out the present and the past now" are a pretty good summary of my long-term experiences with antidepressants. Actually, thinking about it, the brain zaps from coming off Venlafaxine do feel a bit like something squeezing your skull.

In this video from the Roundhouse he sings, "diazepam...that's valium, temazepam, lithium...HRT, ECT"
I do think he's singing HRT. It can be given to men as well as women to ease depression symptoms (that can occur when hormone levels fluctuate).

I've heard this song live every show night since Strasbourg. This is my take on what I think Moz is singing:

I’m doing very well.
I can black out the present and the past now
I know you think by now I should have straightened myself out
Thank you, drop dead.

There is no hope in modern life.

I’m doing very well.
It’s a miracle I’ve made it even this far.

The motion of taxis excites me.
----------------------- invite me (?)
Something is squeezing my skull,
Something I can barely describe.
There is no love in modern life.

Oh, something is squeezing my skull,
Something I can’t fight.
There are no friends in modern life.

Diazepam, valium, temazepam, lithium, HRT, ECT.
How long must I stay on this stuff?

Don’t give me anymore! (repeat )
You SWORE you would not give me anymore!

Don’t give me anymore! (repeat)
Please don’t give me anymore!
Don’t give me anymore! (repeat)
------------------------------------

mell - thanks for the video clip post; that one was much clearer than the previous ones I had heard.

You are right that he does say: "diazepam...that's valium" in it. just corroborating you, since the reposted lyrics here by Mel T. didn't report the "that's" before valium.

so it seems settled now... lorazepam gets no mention in this song.

right, Mel T.: HRT is said before ECT.

i actually agree with the facetious take on HRT. it is funny to say it in the midst of all the other drugs/treatments, since by far, the most widely recognized meaning of that acronym is for post-menopausal women taking estrogen/progesterone. even if he is referring to another HRT that he could have had or could apply to him, it is still humorous because of this most commonly used meaning. hmmm, who knows, maybe because he is now the age that coincides with menopause, he is throwing that in ironically? ;)

Good God it's awful!!!!!!!!!!!

It's worse than "All You Need Is Me" and that's bad. I am hoping I can blame it on the fairly poor quality of the sound recording, and that the future studio version will sound much better. If not, shove it away on a b-side Moz, it's noise.

No way! It's so energetic! Punky. Rigourous, Thumping, Fun, and other captitalised expressions that i can't quite think of just yet. I am already a fan of this song, even with the grainy image and duff sound. Ah well, eveyone to their own, int it :)

What do people think of 'Thats how people grow up' ? I don't like that one as much.

What do people think of 'Thats how people grow up' ? I don't like that one as much.

..THAT'S THE SOUNDTRACK OF MY LIFE!!!!...
i absolutley adore that song..the melody very dramatically..the lyrics..nothing to answer more..that one.. and something is squezzing my skull..are my favourites since a long time ago..!!!

I was wasting my time
Looking for love
Someone must look at me and
See their sunlit dream
I was wasting my time
Praying for love
For a love that never comes
From someone who does not exist

Let me live
Before I die
No not me
Not I

PERFECT

..THAT'S THE SOUNDTRACK OF MY LIFE!!!!...
i absolutley adore that song..the melody very dramatically..the lyrics..nothing to answer more..that one.. and something is squezzing my skull..are my favourites since a long time ago..!!!

I was wasting my time
Looking for love
Someone must look at me and
See their sunlit dream
I was wasting my time
Praying for love
For a love that never comes
From someone who does not exist

Let me live
Before I die
No not me
Not I

PERFECT

True, i have to say i haven't paid attention to the lyrics yet, in fact not at all, and they do seem quite beautiful, as usual. I suppose the tune may need to grow on me though. I am also missing the sharpness of Moz's musicians that seemed to have been a tad touch and go of late (in my oppinion) and i am also harking too far back to The Smiths era i think (melody and riff wise) but we all have to move on i suppose.

I shall give it time i think :) :guitar:

wow, intweresting conversation here...
i was just too busy enjoying the song and moz, to analyse it,
I really do LOVE both the new songs, although and this is MY 2 pence worth, it should maybe be called "something is squeezing my soul".
:rolleyes:

All I know is this song KICKS ASS!!!! if the new album is full of this kinda stuff I will have some serious rocking out to do!!! YESSSS MOZ!!!

Its odd indeed....but can an elderly Moz get away with this?
Its certinally not the most quirky, although he may want to get that checked, if you've seen Scanners, you'll know why.

I thought the lyrics to Thats how people grow up were beauteous, and heartfelt(my apologies) it was the music that was a bit of a snore.

x
Dawn

skulll is the best of the new tracks he played yet

i think their 5

grow up
need me
arms around Paris
mama lay softly
squeezing skull

eh and
good looking man
...?...

that's 7 since his greatest hits tour, right?

what about goodbye will be...not new:eek:;)

Its certinally not the most quirky, although he may want to get that checked, if you've seen Scanners, you'll know why.

I thought the lyrics to Thats how people grow up were beauteous, and heartfelt(my apologies) it was the music that was a bit of a snore.

x
Dawn

ELDERLY!!!!:eek:

how very dare you...
corner now.. :(

x
Dawn

Elderly my ass! :eek:

He's just a few years older than me and I'm nowhere near ancient. :p

Can an elegantly ageing Moz get away with this?
;)
You know I still would...but would he??
(And there was silence in the House of Judgment.)

x

The song is relevant far beyond any personal experience Morrissey has had of depression. The condition in modern life has already reached epidemic proportions and is all the time claiming more victims. Here is what the World Health Organisation has to say about the situation:

- Depression is the leading cause of disability as measured by YLDs and the 4th leading contributor to the global burden of disease (DALYs = Disbility Adjusted Life Years) in 2000. By the year 2020, depression is projected to reach 2nd place of the ranking of DALYs calcuated for all ages, both sexes. Today, depression is already the 2nd cause of DALYs in the age category 15-44 years for both sexes combined.
Depression occurs in persons of all genders, ages, and backgrounds.
Facts
• Depression is common, affecting about 121 million people worldwide.
• Depression is among the leading causes of disability worldwide.
• Depression can be reliably diagnosed and treated in primary care.
• Fewer than 25 % of those affected have access to effective treatments. -

From http://www.who.int/mental_health/management/depression/definition/en/index.html

There is the sign of a healthy fighting spirit left in someone who can voice the new lyric; a claim despite the odds pressing in, for the sufficiency of selfdom. Morrissey is as always intelligently tackling subjects in the face of which others wilt.

skulll is the best of the new tracks he played yet

i think their 5

grow up
need me
arms around Paris
mama lay softly
squeezing skull

eh and
good looking man
...?...

that's 7 since his greatest hits tour, right?

good looking man is a b-side.

the other new one is one day goodbye will be farewell. :)

The song is relevant far beyond any personal experience Morrissey has had of depression. The condition in modern life has already reached epidemic proportions and is all the time claiming more victims. Here is what the World Health Organisation has to say about the situation:

- Depression is the leading cause of disability as measured by YLDs and the 4th leading contributor to the global burden of disease (DALYs = Disbility Adjusted Life Years) in 2000. By the year 2020, depression is projected to reach 2nd place of the ranking of DALYs calcuated for all ages, both sexes. Today, depression is already the 2nd cause of DALYs in the age category 15-44 years for both sexes combined.
Depression occurs in persons of all genders, ages, and backgrounds.
Facts
• Depression is common, affecting about 121 million people worldwide.
• Depression is among the leading causes of disability worldwide.
• Depression can be reliably diagnosed and treated in primary care.
• Fewer than 25 % of those affected have access to effective treatments. -

From http://www.who.int/mental_health/management/depression/definition/en/index.html

There is the sign of a healthy fighting spirit left in someone who can voice the new lyric; a claim despite the odds pressing in, for the sufficiency of selfdom. Morrissey is as always intelligently tackling subjects in the face of which others wilt.

Further, depression (along with other mental problems) is the fourth most expensive medical condition in the US, in terms of sheer dollars spent on treatment-not to mention lost work time, etc. http://www.ahrq.gov/news/nn/nn012308.htm

Also, depression is the only illness whose sufferers are told to "tough it out" or "cheer up". You won't hear those with cancer being told they can get better simply by focusing on the positives and lifting their chins.

This is the most frank Morrissey has been about depression since "Seasick, Yet Still Docked," and even though it's painful to hear, I'm glad to hear it.

Back
Top Bottom