Morrissey Central "SOON / 2020 new releases" (September 6, 2020)

SouthPaw_Vinyl_Gatefold.jpg
YATQ_Vinyl_Gatefold.jpg

Both albums issued on BMG Label for the first time, including inner booklets. LP and CD formats.

Both JPGs describe the images as 'gatefold'.
Regards,
FWD.

View attachment 58837View attachment 58838

Both albums issued on BMG Label for the first time, including inner booklets. LP and CD formats.

Both JPGs describe the images as 'gatefold'.
Regards,
FWD.
Would have been nice to see Nicola Adams on the cover of Southpaw wearing a Morrissey T shirt with a bloody nose or something, instead of Moz looking out for pigeons

If it is indeed Sam that’s doing the covers, then I weep in the name of lost potential due to nepotism.
Because, as some gifted folk on here have showcased, there’s a wealth of material to be found, period accurate and attractive in design and yet, we are shown what we are shown.
I don’t know Sam, probs a nice fella and all, but surely he can do better than......
Perhaps it's worth mentioning that none of the sleeves that were used for releases that actually ended up on the shelves were designed by Sam (at least he's not credited).

Of the three 7" singles that were released last year the design of Wedding Bell Blues is credited to Morrissey (and that one turned out quite beautifully, imho) with layout by Simon Ryan, who also did the artwork for Lover-To-Be and Low In High School. No art credits on It's Over.
Artwork on both California Son and I Am Not A Dog On A Chain is credited to Liam Lynch.

Perhaps it's worth mentioning that none of the sleeves that were used for releases that actually ended up on the shelves were designed by Sam (at least he's not credited).

Of the three 7" singles that were released last year the design of Wedding Bell Blues is credited to Morrissey (and that one turned out quite beautifully, imho) with layout by Simon Ryan, who also did the artwork for Lover-To-Be and Low In High School. No art credits on It's Over.
Artwork on both California Son and I Am Not A Dog On A Chain is credited to Liam Lynch.

That is worth mentioning! i appear to have neglected who is responsible for the last few Lps I think I must have presumed it was Sam, and if he’s reading - all apologies.
Still, aside from the 7 singles, which all came out pretty decent ( aside from Lover to be which I remeber being blurry as though it came from a google image search and they hadn’t loaded the image for long enough) I think the last few covers haven’t been great, probably why i have perhaps jumped the gun in assuming these monstrosities are the final product! Time will tell I suppose

That is worth mentioning! i appear to have neglected who is responsible for the last few Lps I think I must have presumed it was Sam, and if he’s reading - all apologies.
Still, aside from the 7 singles, which all came out pretty decent ( aside from Lover to be which I remeber being blurry as though it came from a google image search and they hadn’t loaded the image for long enough) I think the last few covers haven’t been great, probably why i have perhaps jumped the gun in assuming these monstrosities are the final product! Time will tell I suppose
I agree on the album covers, the original Low In High School, This Is Morrissey, California Son and I Am Not A Dog On A Chain were all different shades of awful.

The singles were all at least alright and some were even gorgeous like Spent The Day In Bed, All The Young People Must Fall In Love and Wedding Bell Blues.
I thought it was a shame they didn't get permission to use this Stanley Baker picture (and that the whole single was eventually scrapped) because with another font this could have been great.

full.png

If it is indeed Sam that’s doing the covers, then I weep in the name of lost potential due to nepotism.
Because, as some gifted folk on here have showcased, there’s a wealth of material to be found, period accurate and attractive in design and yet, we are shown what we are shown.
I don’t know Sam, probs a nice fella and all, but surely he can do better than......

My sentiments exactly.

I wonder if these images are mock-ups by the big man himself, letting us know these are something he would like to see, I.e. ‘me looking up at title’, ‘full tommy in shot’ etc’

He’s used to playing around with images, so I wouldn’t be surprised if he has some photoshop skills under his belt.

Southpaw grammar looks like an unofficial greatest hits cover that you pick up in Asda for £4.99.
YATQ could work if he just ditched the top part and made the main photo look less stretched by filling the LP cover cropped to the correct aspect ratio. Basically the deluxe cover.

If these are not placeholder images, they are risible covers. He looks positively cross-eyed in the Southpaw picture.

If these are not placeholder images, they are risible covers. He looks positively cross-eyed in the Southpaw picture.
Wouldn't be the first time they used a picture of him looking cross-eyed...

hi_1994_holdon12_1.jpg

í would class that as bog-eyed...possibly pie-eyed...but certainly not cross-eyed.

But then í am boss-eyed, so take that with a punch of silt.

I would tend to agree with you (at least with regards to this picture) but according to Autobiography almost-manager James Todd did call it cross-eyed (shortly before drawing his last breath, apparently). Poor Moz, as if number 47 in the charts wasn't bad enough

"No radio station will play Hold on to your friends. ‘I’m sorry, but you look cross-eyed on the cover,’ says James Todd, who is touting for management (but before I have time to say ‘Thank you, but no,’ he is dead, as the cast of casualties in Morrisseyland piles up like bodies in Lady Worthington’s library)."

There are plenty of other pictures that show him properly cross-eyed though.

I would tend to agree with you (at least with regards to this picture) but according to Autobiography almost-manager James Todd did call it cross-eyed (shortly before drawing his last breath, apparently). Poor Moz, as if number 47 in the charts wasn't bad enough

"No radio station will play Hold on to your friends. ‘I’m sorry, but you look cross-eyed on the cover,’ says James Todd, who is touting for management (but before I have time to say ‘Thank you, but no,’ he is dead, as the cast of casualties in Morrisseyland piles up like bodies in Lady Worthington’s library)."

There are plenty of other pictures that show him properly cross-eyed though.

Number 47? Source please.

í prefer the term "lazy-eye" myself. As in, one of my peepers can't even be bothered making the effort to look at you.

My old-school headmaster was truly bog-eyed. A real poles-apart, separate post code, Marty Feldman job. He would glare at one of the back-row charlies, bellow "You boy!!", and a dozen delinquents would jump to their feet.

í prefer the term "lazy-eye" myself. As in, one of my peepers can't even be bothered making the effort to look at you.

My old-school headmaster was truly bog-eyed. A real poles-apart, separate post code, Marty Feldman job. He would glare at one of the back-row charlies, bellow "You boy!!", and a dozen delinquents would jump to their feet.

I like the expression "lazy-eyed" a lot and that's exactly what it looks like on him as well. I think it's his left eye that is "very lazy" from time to time.
Probably likes to spend the say in bed...

í now have this damned song in my head :fearscream:

í think í may need a "Roy's Keen" suppository. Stat.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom