Southpaw/I'm Not Sorry

Art-Hound

Has anyone, apart from me, ever wondered whether these two songs are connected in a way?

In the last part of 'Southpaw', Morrissey sings "And now, there is something that you should know; There is something that you should know; The girl of your dreams is; Here all alone; Girl of your dreams is; Here all alone; The girl of your dreams is; Sad and all alone; The girl of your...".

And in 'I'm Not Sorry', he sings "The woman of my dreams; She, she never came along; The woman of my dreams; Well, there never was one; And I'm; Not sorry for; For the things I've said; There's a wild man in my head; There's a wild man; In my head".

Was there a 'girl' in his Southpaw dreams? Or, maybe there never was one?

I'm certain there is a girl in Southpaw and if you split from a girlfriend at some point they are some poignant lyrics for sure.

Has anyone, apart from me, ever wondered whether these two songs are connected in a way?

In the last part of 'Southpaw', Morrissey sings "And now, there is something that you should know; There is something that you should know; The girl of your dreams is; Here all alone; Girl of your dreams is; Here all alone; The girl of your dreams is; Sad and all alone; The girl of your...".

And in 'I'm Not Sorry', he sings "The woman of my dreams; She, she never came along; The woman of my dreams; Well, there never was one; And I'm; Not sorry for; For the things I've said; There's a wild man in my head; There's a wild man; In my head".

Was there a 'girl' in his Southpaw dreams? Or, maybe there never was one?

I think it's connected. Maybe he was thinking of settling down with a girlfriend in the 90s & by the 00s he'd decided it wouldn't work.

I think it's connected. Maybe he was thinking of settling down with a girlfriend in the 90s & by the 00s he'd decided it wouldn't work.
Wasn’t he rumoured to be getting married to a woman once, in the mid 90’s. I can’t remember her name now though.

Wasn’t he rumoured to be getting married to a woman once, in the mid 90’s. I can’t remember her name now though.
If only Morrissey had written some kind of 'autobiography' where such information might be available to the curious reader.

He was with Jake in the mid 90s, certainly around the time Southpaw was written/recorded.

He met Tina later, probably around the time he moved to LA in 1998.

And regarding the OP's question: I don't think they're directly connected, but I've always had a very specific interpretation of Southpaw, so I'm probably biased...

He was with Jake in the mid 90s, certainly around the time Southpaw was written/recorded.

He met Tina later, probably around the time he moved to LA in 1998.

And regarding the OP's question: I don't think they're directly connected, but I've always had a very specific interpretation of Southpaw, so I'm probably biased...
Thanks again, for taking the time to offer an informative & measured response.👍

Yes. Tina.
I'm not sure marriage as such is referenced in Autobiography, but "Tina and I discuss the unthinkable act of producing a mewling miniature monster." That could have happened outside of any need for marriage, obviously.

I'm not sure marriage as such is referenced in Autobiography, but "Tina and I discuss the unthinkable act of producing a mewling miniature monster." That could have happened outside of any need for marriage, obviously.
No, it's not mentioned and I'm not sure if there ever was any rumour at all about him and Tina planning to get married...

Last edited:
I heard something about him getting married. Read it somewhere. That doesn't mean it's true of course.
I'm sure there were plenty of rumours, there always are. 😉

In old Scots common law you'd be married if you were a known couple - I've picked up the idea from my more old-fashioned island relatives. Some of my co-habiting friends get irate about it. 🙃

In old Scots common law you'd be married if you were a known couple - I've picked up the idea from my more old-fashioned island relatives. Some of my co-habiting friends get irate about it. 🙃

"Known couple" doesn't really apply in this case though. At least not to the public.

:rolleyes:

the irate peeps probably toss the furniture around from being irate at your trivia:crazy:

Back
Top Bottom