Morrissey Central "Stephen Hendry" (September 5, 2021)

IMG_20210905_202257.jpg

The most successful snooker player in the modern game.

Post shared here in Strange... thread, then a Central post. Image first shared by Alex J IG story.

Regards,
FWD.

Last edited:
He’s also on the come back trail, out of retirement I believes .
Loved watching him as a kid, whilst slightly more ‘sparky’ than Davis he had a similar tenacious, low risk, and methodical style. I imagine his career overlapped with Rocket Ronnie’s and the latter must’ve absolutely loathed playing Hendry.

Loved watching him as a kid, whilst slightly more ‘sparky’ than Davis he had a similar tenacious, low risk, and methodical style. I imagine his career overlapped with Rocket Ronnie’s and the latter must’ve absolutely loathed playing Hendry.
He certainly was one of the best , but never one of my faves as his personality was zero.
The new breed of players that took the game to the next level really

He certainly was one of the best , but never one of my faves as his personality was zero.
The new breed of players that took the game to the next level really
Yes, you could often spot people dozing off, in the audience.

This post is my gift to Verso.

It's true Ronnie loathed slow play, even worse than Hendry was Peter Ebdon:

Got a link for any of that?
I didn't post that but they are quotes from Hendry's autobiography.

Nothing in his book about politics though as far as I recall. I still dont recall him ever voicing his support for tories anywhere else either, and google throws up nothing except him saying in the mid-90s that he'd leave Scotland if he had to pay more tax there.

So whoever keeps saying he's voiced support for the tories - that's a link I would like please.

They played a famous grudge match in the semi final of the 2002 World Championship. Ronnie had mouthed off about Hendry and insulted him in a press interview before the match. Hendry let his cue do the talking and gave him a sound drubbing. The eyeballing from Hendry when they shook hands at the end said it all.

And there was also this

Hendry is not a Tory.
I’d recently see a documentary about SH leaving his wife .
He’s never been a controversial figure but he must of had a mid life crisis ...
My mid life crisis was changing from carlsberg to coors 🤪

They played a famous grudge match in the semi final of the 2002 World Championship. Ronnie had mouthed off about Hendry and insulted him in a press interview before the match. Hendry let his cue do the talking and gave him a sound drubbing. The eyeballing from Hendry when they shook hands at the end said it all.
I think they seem to be pretty good buddies now. I think Ronnie is the GOAT outside of the Worlds which of course is Hendry’s domain.

Apparently he blew a large chunk of his wealth on bad investments

Good move, Carlsberg is probably the worst lager in the world (alongside that Carling swill).

I think they seem to be pretty good buddies now. I think Ronnie is the GOAT outside of the Worlds which of course is Hendry’s domain.
Yes they are. Ronnie has grown up a lot and Hendry is too classy an act to hold a grudge with a fellow legend of the game. They are good mates now - did an excellent insta Q&A together during lockdown.

That 2002 match I mentioned - there's a two-hour edited highights of it (part of the BBC's Crucible Classics series) - its on youtube if you're ever bored :) Interviewed afterwards Ronnie says the match changed his life because as the pressure grew "Stephen Hendry got more aggressive" and that he realised he needed to play the same way in future.

Yes they are. Ronnie has grown up a lot and Hendry is too classy an act to hold a grudge with a fellow legend of the game. They are good mates now - did an excellent insta Q&A together during lockdown.

That 2002 match I mentioned - there's a two-hour edited highights of it (part of the BBC's Crucible Classics series) - its on youtube if you're ever bored :) Interviewed afterwards Ronnie says the match changed his life because as the pressure grew "Stephen Hendry got more aggressive" and that he realised he needed to play the same way in future.
I saw that same lockdown video and loved it. Imagine spending a couple of hours with those two regaling you with stories from the tour. Be amazing. Hendry undoubtedly was a massive influence on Ronnie. I actually think the breakdown and walk off against him was a real change two. I’m sure he was very embarrassed afterwards and he seemed to come back from that with more resolve,

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom