Sting the 'hypocrite'

lainey

This is old news but I couldn't resist.

Former Police rocker Sting has been branded a 'hypocrite' for performing a show for dictator Islam Karimov's daughter.

The 58-year-old human rights campaigner performed at Gulnara Karimova's culture and arts festival. People who have disagreed with her father have been shot, and reports claim others have been boiled alive.

Craig Murray, a former UK ambassador, said that Sting is a 'hypocrite' for playing the gig.

He said: "His activism seems to have flown out the window."

However, Sting has said he is still passionate on human rights and played the gig, despite the dictator's 'appalling' past.

To err is human. We all have our contradictions. I know I do.

I'm not a Sting fan though.

Sting defended his visit to Tashkent as the guest of Karimov's daughter but forgot to mention the two million he was paid.

'I supported wholeheartedly the cultural boycott of South Africa under the apartheid regime because it was a special case and specifically targeted the younger demographic of the ruling white middle class.
'I am well aware of the Uzbek president’s appalling reputation in the field of human rights as well as the environment. I made the decision to play there in spite of that.

'I have come to believe that cultural boycotts are not only pointless gestures, they are counter-productive, where proscribed states are further robbed of the open commerce of ideas and art and as a result become even more closed, paranoid and insular.

'I seriously doubt whether the President of Uzbekistan cares in the slightest whether artists like myself come to play in his country, he is hermetically sealed in his own medieval, tyrannical mindset.'

Last edited:
are there any canadians here?

Sting will never be as intelligent as Morrissey....
Morrissey 1 - Sting 0

I loved it when he got Paxman(ed) on Newsnight.
What a contradictory W@nker he is.

Last edited by a moderator:
Grrr. I used to like Sting's music, before it became so dreadfully boring. And his "politics" annoy me because they're simply self-serving bids for awards and recognition.

Morrissey has never once disappointed me in the way Sting, and so many other musicians I've liked over the years, have.

And Sting, that beard is simply unforgiveable :sick:

The older ones on here might remember when The Smiths signed to EMI? At a time when young people were very politically aware, signing for a multinational corporation with an ammunitions arm did not go without comment.

The older ones on here might remember when The Smiths signed to EMI? At a time when young people were very politically aware, signing for a multinational corporation with an ammunitions arm did not go without comment.

Yes.....
''How dare the Kings of Indiedom sign for a multi national corporation such as EMI - SELL OUTS''
was the cry back in the day.....

On the Sting issue, no idea who this bloke is who is a nasty bastard.... but does that mean his daughter is too? The fact Sting played there means he has brought the issue to my attention - even if it is via this thread. I am now more ''socially aware'' of the goings on in that country thanks to Sting.

As a Man City fan, did I support Thaksin Shinawatra's regime and alleged human rights abuse in Thailand because I continued to pay and watch the team he owned?

Jukebox Jury

Yes.....
''How dare the Kings of Indiedom sign for a multi national corporation such as EMI - SELL OUTS''
was the cry back in the day.....

On the Sting issue, no idea who this bloke is who is a nasty bastard.... but does that mean his daughter is too? The fact Sting played there means he has brought the issue to my attention - even if it is via this thread. I am now more ''socially aware'' of the goings on in that country thanks to Sting.

As a Man City fan, did I support Thaksin Shinawatra's regime and alleged human rights abuse in Thailand because I continued to pay and watch the team he owned?

Jukebox Jury

what has since happened to Shinawatra? JJ, your ethics are you ethics. Sting likes to sit with the daughter of a dictator for money yet preaches he's an humanitarian.

The daughter of the dictator isn't accountable for her father's crime, but she asked him to pay Sting.

Last edited:
Last edited:
"On the Sting issue, no idea who this bloke is who is a nasty bastard.... but does that mean his daughter is too? The fact Sting played there means he has brought the issue to my attention - even if it is via this thread. I am now more ''socially aware'' of the goings on in that country thanks to Sting."

I agree with Mr. Jukebox, same is true for moi. But ... but... I also see the point of those of you saying it's hypocritical. Sting is very much, I believe, motivated by money and hanging out with the jet-set elite. I'm old enough to remember when Sting got slammed for being a guest on the yacht of arms dealer Adnan Khashoggi. You can't be Mr. Peace 'n Love and then party on a yacht with a Saudi arms merchant.

"On the Sting issue, no idea who this bloke is who is a nasty bastard.... but does that mean his daughter is too? The fact Sting played there means he has brought the issue to my attention - even if it is via this thread. I am now more ''socially aware'' of the goings on in that country thanks to Sting."

I agree with Mr. Jukebox, same is true for moi. But ... but... I also see the point of those of you saying it's hypocritical. Sting is very much, I believe, motivated by money and hanging out with the jet-set elite. I'm old enough to remember when Sting got slammed for being a guest on the yacht of arms dealer Adnan Khashoggi. You can't be Mr. Peace 'n Love and then party on a yacht with a Saudi arms merchant.

Not even if they are giving out mushroom vol-au-vonts on board?:yum::thumb:

Jukebox Jury

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom