Strange/unexpected Moz references?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/joey-barton-disses-rio-ferdinands-4064975

Singing from a different hymn sheet

Could Tony Pulis' falling-out with Steve Parish have been over musical differences?

While swing band lover Pulis was famous for playing Smooth FM in the team gym, the Eagles chairman is a massive Smiths fan who recently told their Twitter fan club #MozArmy: "Morrissey is like the modern Shakespeare. I love that line: ‘Oh mother, I can feel the soil falling over my head.’ It's poetry."

No word on whether he waved Club Shop Tone off with a chorus of I Know It's Over, but you can read an excellent Parish interview with #MozArmy's Julie Hamill here.

Meanwhile, as this picture shows, Liverpool MD Ian Ayre also appears to be a big fan of Moz...

The German online magazine Spiegel Online lists Morrissey as one of many famous supporters of the Scottish independence.

Translation of the caption: Rock musician Morrissey repeatedly offers harsh criticism of the conservative Cameron administration. "I love Scotland, I love the mentality of the Scots - and they don't need Westminster in the slightest", told the singer that got famous with the group "The Smiths" to the "Independent".

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-setting-times-stories-to-music-20140913-story.html#page=1

His own words help bring down New Orleans prosecutor

Sal Perricone always had something to prove. Growing up poor and Italian in a city dominated by Creoles and Anglos, Perricone found respect on the streets after high school by becoming a cop. He pulled graveyard shifts to put himself through college and eventually took night classes to earn a law degree while serving as a New Orleans police detective.

The law degree helped him jump to the FBI, where he was a special agent for five years. In 1991 he landed at the U.S. attorney's office in New Orleans, crusading against fraud in a city as known for political corruption as it is for jazz. Over two decades, he went after the Mafia, cops, judges and even a former governor. He became one of New Orleans' most feared prosecutors.

The people he put behind bars — the thugs, the high-power politicians — were intent on seeing Perricone fall. His enemies left a fake bomb and other death threats on his front porch. They never touched him. Instead, it was his own arrogance and a burning secret resentment toward the world of privilege and power that brought him down.

His prosecutorial misconduct was exposed by a pretentious writing style, particularly his fondness for obscure words found usually only on SAT exams or in the work of Victorian poet Robert Browning.

The “online 21st century carnival” Perricone created, in the words of one federal judge, swept away nearly the entire leadership of one of the nation's largest U.S. attorney's offices and imperiled some of the state's biggest criminal prosecutions.

#soundtrack: “Bigmouth Strikes Again,” by the Smiths. A friend coincidentally sent me the link to this video of a live performance in 1986. Beefcake Morrissey!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/educatio...week-try-new-things-get-an-edgy-hair-cut.html

And two other things happened at the start of the second term which kick-started my uni life. First, the Smiths played at the Arts Centre. My friends at home begged to come, which cheered me up no end.

And then two weeks later another Eighties icon made an appearance: Mrs Thatcher arrived to open the university’s new Science Park.

The campus was buzzing. All morning students were streaming out of the campus Spar with boxes and boxes of eggs. I went down to the Science Park to support Toby as he slurred a few protest songs at the mounted police and I watched Mrs T get out of her limo. She was quite small and her hair looked hard, like it was a meringue.

She stooped slightly, gave a little wave and in return she got what can only be described as a lot of unsolicited student advice: get out of Ireland, get rid of American cruise missiles, open the mines, free Nelson Mandela.

And then someone threw an egg which slid down the windscreen of her Daimler and suddenly there was an awful lot of running about. And truncheons and horses. Yes, I remember the invigorating warmth of horse breath on my neck and the sound of a hoof on Toby’s guitar.

We were on the news. My mother rang the hall’s payphone. “What a waste of eggs!” she said. “If that’s what you do with food I send you, then I shan’t bother next time.”

Anna Calvi being interviewed on Radio 5 live now about kids learning musical instruments in school. Introduced as opening for Morrissey.

She learnt the violin at the age of 6. And guitar at 8.

http://www.austin360.com/weblogs/austin-music-source/2014/sep/15/test/

Celebrating the spirit of Halloween, one of the side stages on Oct. 31 will feature a lineup of some of Austin’s top tribute bands: Heavy Petty (Tom Petty), Cats From Japan (David Bowie), The Smites (The Smiths) and Bidi Bidi Banda (Selena)

-------

I love rock and roll
So put another dime in the jukebox, baby

Last edited:
http://www.austin360.com/weblogs/austin-music-source/2014/sep/15/test/

Celebrating the spirit of Halloween, one of the side stages on Oct. 31 will feature a lineup of some of Austin’s top tribute bands: Heavy Petty (Tom Petty), Cats From Japan (David Bowie), The Smites (The Smiths) and Bidi Bidi Banda (Selena)

-------

I love rock and roll
So put another dime in the jukebox, baby

Is the unexpected reference that a Smiths tribute band is playing? :squiffy:

Did you see that yesterday at the miss America Pageant, one of the contestants liked "All things Jane Austin" or something like that? I mention because you link involved Austin. Or Austen. I think their pop-up video editor was high at the time. :D

Bxim7T_IAAAwv2b.jpg

In today's New York Times Arts & Leisure section, an article about Mike Hadreas aka Perfume Genius:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/21/arts/music/an-aggressive-new-album-from-perfume-genius.html

Mr. Hadreas’s new direction isn’t a reflection of some major life change, he said. But, at 32, he has clearly found the strength to direct the pain of a bullied adolescence outward instead of inward. “It’s about demanding respect instead of constantly seeking acceptance from everyone else,” he said of the album. “It’s about taking it, instead of waiting for it.”

These are not nuanced tunes with genderless love interests, à la Morrissey. “Too Bright” is the gay indie rock equivalent of a swaggering Sylvester or Jobriath album.

Not really any Morrissey references but to those interested from out of town, there was a huge water main break today in WeHo right next to Morrissey's old house.

http://la.curbed.com/archives/2014/...and_videos_from_todays_sunset_strip_flood.php

And I could be mistaken but the first picture in this series has a yellow cleaners, then to the left a white strip mall? That strip mall is the terminus of the street his Marquis Hotel is on, you could throw a rock from that strip mall and hit his hotel room. Sorta.

[/stalkerintel]

I was pretty pissed but I'm pretty sure Pete Doherty sang a snippet of What She Said at The Libertines gig last night (I know he's done a few other Smiths covers before).

I'm on my phone so I'm not sure how to grab it, but on twitter Rita Pavone was honored that Morrissey gave her a shoutout in that first cancer interview that everyone freaked out about.

"@Rita_Pavone_: @Rita_Pavone_ Thanks Mr. Morrissey. I'm honored. Deeply honored."

Noel Gallagher is on BBC 6 Music Steve Lamacq show, he mentioned about Morrissey.

*edit*
Wow, Johnny collaborated with Noel!

Last edited:
Tags
burlesque coronation street live morrissey new album poster sport strips the smiths
Back
Top Bottom