Strange/unexpected Moz references?

In James May's current motoring column for The Daily Telegraph, he expresses his distaste for The Smiths:

"Be prepared, then, for a welter of small cars with hot engines. It’s going to be like the 1980s all over again, but without The Smiths to spoil it."

:( Hmph. Suddenly, Mr. May is less attractive as a fantasy boyfriend!

1227123811914-2.png

This lacks funny as I had to chop off the "punchline" panel, but the Smiths poster left me with this face: ._.

In James May's current motoring column for The Daily Telegraph, he expresses his distaste for The Smiths:

"Be prepared, then, for a welter of small cars with hot engines. It’s going to be like the 1980s all over again, but without The Smiths to spoil it."

:( Hmph. Suddenly, Mr. May is less attractive as a fantasy boyfriend!

Ohhh :( I share your disappointment!!

But then again, I am surprised that May has even heard of The Smiths.

Awww, he's sweet :p

I bloody despise James May now, what ghastly taste he must have!

I bloody despise James May now, what ghastly taste he must have!

May is a classical music buff. He plays piano and has a degree in music from Lancaster University.

He does listen to some rock music though. One interviewer asked him what CD's he currently had in his car and AC/DC's "Let There Be Rock" was amongst the Bach and Beethoven, which impressed me at the time.

The glamour hath slipped from my eyes though.

Yay!

Newsnight (BBC 2's a 50 minutes in depth daily news analysis programme) showed Smiths' TOTP This Charming Man at the end! :)

Earlier BBC 1 announced to bring back TOTP for festive season.
The producer or people in the production team of Newsnight seem to be fans of The Smiths.

Last edited:
I go to yoga on a Thursday's night above the "Ring a Bells" pub, It was quiet for an hour and half until we where on the floor in an relaxation pose when all of a sudden This charming man came on.
well I couldn't stop smiling, that intro..those lyrics... the best Aphrodisiac ever

...blink and you'd miss it... at the end of the last round on the Weakest Link, Anne Robinson asked "Who thinks that MRSA sang with The Smiths? It's time to vote off The Weakest Link."

I know it's not the best Mozzer media item...but I've been bored at home today...

"show me a barrel and watch me scrape it"

The Weakest Link

Anyone hear Anne Robinson say "Who think's MRSA was the singer in The Smiths? It's time to vote off The Weakest Link" on tonights programme?

There was an advert on just now about the BBC programme on tomorrow night about Einstein and Eddington, and the voiceover lady said, 'Some ideas become louder than bombs'. :D

Re: The Weakest Link

She also asked a question on Viv Nicholson which some guy had no idea who she was.

Last edited:
Last edited:
No, it's not really so strange, but The Smiths got a mention and a short live glimpse escaped, in the UTV "Now That's What I Call Music, 1983" show a few minutes ago. The presenter said despite John Peel's promotion of them, they were finding it hard to get a foothold. That foothold is stronger that it's ever been, despite their brief career. Others featured, many playing on the show, are Nick Haywood, Nik Kershaw, Heaven 17, Howard Jones...

On The Office last night, Pam leaves an anonymous note on the microwave (about it needing to be cleaned) and signs it, "sincerely, disappointed" (I wish it had been truly...:D)

Also, this conversation:

Phyllis: Where's your place?
Jim Halpert: Oh, it's on, uh, Lyndon Ave. by the quarry?
Phyllis: Oh.
Creed: Cool beans man. I live by the quarry. We should hang out by the quarry and throw things down there!
Jim Halpert: Definitely we should.

It's a stretch, I know...but my ears perked up. :D

Tags
burlesque coronation street live morrissey new album poster sport strips the smiths
Back
Top Bottom