Suede to reform for one night only

Very cool.
And it's all for charidee.
It's at the RAH but nothing about a date yet.

Dave

Suede reunite for one night only

Shame its with Oakes and not Butler.

http://www.nme.com/news/suede/49240

Suede are to reform to play a one-off gig, NME.COM can confirm.

Following persistent rumours, the boss of the band's former label, Nude Records' Saul Galpern, told NME.COM, it is true that the band will be playing together again.

"It's [for] a one-off gig," he explained of the show, which is expected to feature the band's second incarnation, with Richard Oakes rather than Bernard Butler on guitar.

The band will reportedly play London's Royal Albert Hall as part of the forthcoming Teenage Cancer Trust shows, whose patron is The Who's Roger Daltrey.

Suede frontman Brett Anderson has previously hinted that he'd like to reunite the band.

"I'd quite like to make a band record again, my last few [solo albums] have just been me in the studio with a piano," he told Bang Media last year. "I can't say whether I'd get back with Suede or not. I email Simon [Gilbert] and Mat [Osman] often and Bernard I see occasionally for a chat. There's no bad blood."

However, speaking last February, Butler slammed the current spate of band reunions, saying he found them "embarrassing". He did reunite briefly with Anderson in 2005 to form a new band, The Tears, who made one album.

Butler left the band in 1994, with Oakes replacing him after he auditioned for the role. He made his first appearances with Suede on the 'Dog Man Star' tour later that year. After co-writing some B-sides with Anderson, the first album he appeared on was 1996's 'Coming Up'.

Re: Suede reunite for one night only

Expect a full-blown tour, festival appearances, the DVD comeback etc etc. Yawn its f***ing predictable

I'm with the judge, Suede were only really Suede, in my eyes, on those first two albums. Afterwards they were pretty shit and I lost complete interest

Out of curiousity, what did you make of The Tears reunion of Anderson and Butler?

Regarding Suede, I personally liked the progression from Dogmanstar to Coming Up. But I can't say I gave Head Music and A New Morning much of a shot.

as a fan of early suede i'm glad he won't take part.

I was a huge suede fan back in the day but never got the chance to see them live (I passed on ‘97 LA shows and have been regretting it since). I lost almost all interest after the disappointing Tears and Brett solo albums. However, this reunion line-up is the one I’d like to see so I’m hoping for a full tour that includes the US. Brett and Bernard had their chance to do something special but the Tears were mediocre (Brett’s fault because of his poor lyrics. Bernard’s music was still good on that album). Yes, the first two suede albums were great but nothing gets you going like Coming Up. No way Bernard would play CU songs if he did a “suede reunion”. I don’t think Brett has anything left in his think tank for another great album so I hope they just play the old stuff and don’t plan on another album.

When Brett started taking crack, there was no looking back.

I came on board during Coming Up so that's my favorite if only for pure nostalgia. I can only handle about 7-9 songs from Head Music and A New Morning combined. It's amazing how directionless most of the Head Music B-sides sound. I know Brett was going for a more "electronic" vibe, but Suede was always about great tunes. He was checked out so the music inevitably gazed colon-ward. And by the time A New Morning came out, his voice was destroyed.

i really liked the record when i first heard it '07 but now i find it average, a couple of pretty good songs but all in all not really inspired. poor rythm section as well. something was lacking.

lots of brett fans say he sounds better than ever but that's just bullshit. i don't think the reunion gig will be any better than the 2003 gigs.

i meant the tears. and in my opinion it was not brett's fault, the problem was not brett's voice or lyrics (which by the way i found rather nice for a change), it was bernard's songwriting and production.

brett is also making a new record and richard is writing this guy http://www.myspace.com/seanmcgheesongs.

I saw Brett solo last year and he was amazing. He did solo stuff for a while and then acoustic Suede stuff - totally spellbinding, I would recommend seeing him on the small solo tour he's doing soon.
Suede were a great live band even on their farewell tour - I would love to see them back, Butler or Oakes, why not?

Depeche Mode are headlining this charity show.

"On Wednesday, February 17th, 2010, Depeche Mode will play a special charity concert for Teenage Cancer Trust at London's Royal Albert Hall. All proceeds of the Band's show will be donated to the Trust, which is UK charity helping teenagers fight cancer.
This will be a unique event and the first time in their career that Depeche Mode will perform at the Royal Albert Hall. It's probably a once in a lifetime opportunity to see Depeche Mode play this historic venue and it's sure to be a memorable night."

20091216_tct_425_374.jpg

I don’t think Brett has anything left in his think tank for another great album so I hope they just play the old stuff and don’t plan on another album.

If they're reforming for the benefit concert, I agree. However, if it becomes a permanent reunion then new material is a must.

At this point, I still think it's just for the benefit concert. Brett has hinted during the past several months that he'd like to go in a "louder" direction after his past few solo efforts, which offered a slower and more mature side to his nature. I think the man just misses the fun of being in a proper band, which is understandable.

If I was in Brett's shoes, I'd skip the one-off gig and stick to the solo career. It was great to see him go in different directions artistically and to grow out of the "Suede formula." Makes me wish Morrissey would try the same thing too someday. As great as the reviews are for Refusal, it doesn't sound any different than the past few releases we've been getting.

I got into Suede through Moz after hearing him do MIO live in 1992. I bought their debut and then Dog Man Star when it came out. Two brilliant albums. Coming Up was decent but I couldn't really bare Head Music. ANM didn't do much for me either. (I still say their best work can be found on Sci-Fi Lullabies) The Tears album was completely forgettable. I have to say I have been struck by some of Brett's solo work, especially songs like Back to You and Frozen Roads. But my god he's looking gaunt lately. Is he still battling drug addiction?

I have to say I have been struck by some of Brett's solo work, especially songs like Back to You and Frozen Roads. But my god he's looking gaunt lately. Is he still battling drug addiction?

On the contrary, I think he's looking better now he used to. The drugs took its toll on him during the Coming Up era, but he quit them several years ago and has gotten his life back on track.

Yes, I was very surprised to hear how good his solo work is. When I first listened to Slow Attack on the iPod, I thought it was okay. But once it hit the stereo, the whole thing just reached new heights. Such a fantastic recording.

Another one I'll have to miss! I am destined never to see Suede.

My heart skipped a beat, paused, then came to a full stop when I read the headline thinking Bernard was involved. Still should be a great show for those lucky enough to attend.

Anyone who would like a link for corporate presale tickets, let me know. It worked ten minutes ago when I bought mine.
I seriously cannot wait to see them again! Going to be great night.

Oh my god, I'm so annoyed!! Have a contact in RAH who sold me tickets last time for cost price with proceeds going to TCT. Have just remade contact and the cheeky monkey is asking £400 !!!! "That's how much they are on ebay". Just checked ebay and all tickets for sale are for 'an amazing Sold Out show'. Tickets haven't even gone on sale yet!!! Buggers.

Rant over.
Fuming.

Back
Top Bottom