Suede to release comprehensive “Best of” compilation

Any of you lot ever read Suede's first ever interview in the NME?

The journalist had to tell them off for name-dropping Smiths songs all the time during the interview, saying it'd be used as a stick to beat them with if they didn't move on and make an identity of their own.

This is pre-Drowners, probably when they were supporting Kingmaker or just before that when they were first being noticed.

First saw Suede at a pub in Leeds, The Duchess Of York.

Any of you lot ever read Suede's first ever interview in the NME?

The journalist had to tell them off for name-dropping Smiths songs all the time during the interview, saying it'd be used as a stick to beat them with if they didn't move on and make an identity of their own.

This is pre-Drowners, probably when they were supporting Kingmaker or just before that when they were first being noticed.

First saw Suede at a pub in Leeds, The Duchess Of York.

haha really? that's sweet. i heard an early suede song (justice) for the first time a few days ago and they were so ridiculously smithsy, aww. do you happen to have the interview still?

re: what to start with... i'd say 'suede', then 'dog man star', then 'coming up', then 'head music', then 'the tears', then 'slow attack' (which is GORGEOUS and way better than wilderness/the self-titled). 'a new morning' should be skipped because there's only one good track ('lost in tv') and it's not even that good. i maintain that 'head music' is fantastic for what it is. weird to find out that brandon flowers is a fan though.

Last edited:
Look. Look at this post. Look at how wrong you are.

CU has dated horrendously.

*shrugs* Mehh...doesn't matter, don't care because still got some great singles on it and I perfer the lyrics and guitar riffs

Last edited by a moderator:
*shrugs* Mehh...doesn't matter, don't care because still got some great singles on it and I perfer the lyrics and guitar riffs

I literally - literally - cannot get my head around this. It's grand you're at least a Suede fan but to say this. Wow.

I'm a massive fan...I just have their albums. I just don't think anything of Dog Man Star, there's only track I like from it. I dunno why, but I don't find it as good as Suede or Coming Up

haha really? that's sweet. i heard an early suede song (justice) for the first time a few days ago and they were so ridiculously smithsy, aww. do you happen to have the interview still?

Nah binned all my old NMEs a long time ago, would love to read that interview again.

Not a massive Suede fan, lost interest after Dog Man Star but bought Coming Up when it was cheap and it's ok.
Tend to think the 3 songs on The Drowners single, He's Dead, and High Rising are some of the best things they ever did.

Had a tape with some of their early demos on it at one time, think it was when Justine Frischmann (sp) was still in the band.
Nothing particularly noteworthy that i can remember.

My opinion :
Sci Fi Lullabies is the best Suede "album" (B sides collection)
Then the "Performance" bootleg.

Brett solo work is just beautiful (but I'm not fond of Butler solo career). Slow Attack is a great accoustic LP, and the way he played those songs with a full electric band on his last tour was a blast.

Nah binned all my old NMEs a long time ago, would love to read that interview again.

Not a massive Suede fan, lost interest after Dog Man Star but bought Coming Up when it was cheap and it's ok.
Tend to think the 3 songs on The Drowners single, He's Dead, and High Rising are some of the best things they ever did.

Had a tape with some of their early demos on it at one time, think it was when Justine Frischmann (sp) was still in the band.
Nothing particularly noteworthy that i can remember.

aw, that's a shame about the magazines. early suede.. yeah, not noteworthy, just really sweet from what i've heard (be my god, she's a layabout... um... can't remember if there are any more...).

i like post-bernard suede a lot, but bernard-era suede was just so unbelievably good. he's dead = too amazing. same with most of their early bsides. it's a shame they had to go out with ANM - i kind of want them to make a new album now but it would be awful if it was a flop so maybe it's best that brett just sticks to solo songs. some of the new ones (brittle heart) sound great.

Just got 'Dog Man Star', about to listen to it for the first time. Really looking forward to it based on the fact that I love Suede's ballads. For example, 'By The Sea' is the best song on 'Coming Up' IMHO.

Just sold off a boatload of early CD singles and a few from Coming Up. No point really hanging on to them. It's all about BB really. The debut, Sci-Fi and a few from DMS is all I can really listen to now. A truly great band back in the day that was worth every bit of OTT hype they received.

Everything after the first two albums wasn't Suede? Nonsense.

You can fit all the songs off Coming Up, Head Music and A New Morning that are as good as the first two albums on one disc. But that's a testament to the songs' strength as opposed to the strength of the respective album.

Bernard Butler is a f***ing genius. A moody, stroppy, impossible to work with genius.

Very nice track-listing(s), although I can't help but think they could have found a better song than This Hollywood Life... a very average Suede track. Off the top of my head, Animal Lover or Together or She's Not Dead or Breakdown or Indian Strings or He's Gone or The Chemistry Between Us or Oceans, for instance, would all have been better.

It seems to be like "Sci-fi lullabies"...

Tags
suede
Back
Top Bottom