tell us about the last Film you saw

Have you seen "In Bruges"? Robbie by the same writer and Director as Seven Psycopaths, Also stars Colin Farrell. A fantastic film much more entertaining than Seven Psycopaths as good as that is. You'll like it guaranteed.
yes, I have seen it, its why I DLed "7 Psy..." :) & I agree, "In Bruges " was one of the best films of 08 :thumb:

now as to the film I last saw, yesterday I watched:
Peter_Pan_2003_film.jpg

I liked parts of it well enough, so:
B-

tabloid-dvd.jpg

An Errol Morris documentary on the bizarre story of Joyce McKinney. Loved! (There's some solid gold after they flashed Moz's 18th birthday.)

tabloid-dvd.jpg

An Errol Morris documentary on the bizarre story of Joyce McKinney. Loved! (There's some solid gold after they flashed Moz's 18th birthday.)

Well now, if Morrissey goes missing for three days and turns up smelling of Gummi Bears...a late addition to the autobiography?

A Single Man. 2009. starring Colin Firth, Julianne Moore, Matthew Goode and Nicholas Hoult.

I bought this for 50p from a charity shop months ago , as I had heard a bit about it. I Finally got around to watching it last night.
Apart from being Directed with the help of a "How to direct a quirky 60's movie in one easy lesson" guidebook ( I think the director went to a self-help group for Obvious cliches in movies..)Tom Ford, this was not at all that bad.
Set in 1962, Firth plays a "Closeted" gay English teacher in a USA school, and is , at the beginning of the movie, informed over a phone that his lover of 16 years is dead ( suddenly, in a car crash, whilst visiting family). He is not asked to attend the funeral, so, in a fit of depression or something, decides that he should kill himself too , to be with his fella.BUT, he decides to live for just one Last day before doing it. There then follows some rather fantastic acting by every single one of the (Well cast) Cast, including Julianne Moore as a fading 60's hippy Chick, dealing with the torpor of middle-aged Angst, or somesuch.... There is quite a bit of fading of colours going on, which sometimes signifies a flashback scene, but sometime does not. The director is playing FAR TOO "clever-clever film school Luvvie" during this film, whch I found rather distracting to the actual story. All in all, If you fancy watching a (Well acted indeed) movie, about a middle aged gay man wanting to end it all, this is the GO TO choice ..... It was well worth the 50 pence, but, it is going back to the charity shop to be sold again.....It was a decent movie, but I somehow cannot think of a reason to keep it in my DVD collection box.

Oh, and P.S....we never DID find out what happened to the other dog that was involved in the car crash......( there were two, one died, and the other was never found...do NOT expect a happy ending on this one...The "Tick tick tick" theme running through the soundtrack sort of makes that obvious anyway.... 10/10 for the acting, 6/10 for the film itself....

Last edited:
A Single Man. 2009. starring Colin Firth, Julianne Moore, Matthew Goode and Nicholas Hoult.

I bought this for 50p from a charity shop months ago , as I had heard a bit about it. I Finally got around to watching it last night.
Apart from being Directed with the help of a "How to direct a quirky 60's movie in one easy lesson" guidebook ( I think the director went to a self-help group for Obvious cliches in movies..)Tom Ford, this was not at all that bad.
Set in 1962, Firth plays a "Closeted" gay English teacher in a USA school, and is , at the beginning of the movie, informed over a phone that his lover of 16 years is dead ( suddenly, in a car crash, whilst visiting family). He is not asked to attend the funeral, so, in a fit of depression or something, decides that he should kill himself too , to be with his fella.BUT, he decides to live for just one Last day before doing it. There then follows some rather fantastic acting by every single one of the (Well cast) Cast, including Julianne Moore as a fading 60's hippy Chick, dealing with the torpor of middle-aged Angst, or somesuch.... There is quite a bit of fading of colours going on, which sometimes signifies a flashback scene, but sometime does not. The director is playing FAR TOO "clever-clever film school Luvvie" during this film, whch I found rather distracting to the actual story. All in all, If you fancy watching a (Well acted indeed) movie, about a middle aged gay man wanting to end it all, this is the GO TO choice ..... It was well worth the 50 pence, but, it is going back to the charity shop to be sold again.....It was a decent movie, but I somehow cannot think of a reason to keep it in my DVD collection box.

Oh, and P.S....we never DID find out what happened to the other dog that was involved in the car crash......( there were two, one died, and the other was never found...do NOT expect a happy ending on this one...The "Tick tick tick" theme running through the soundtrack sort of makes that obvious anyway.... 10/10 for the acting, 6/10 for the film itself....

I love your movie reviews. :D

I love your movie reviews. :D

Thank you Crystal!! I try to at least follow the "Rule" of the page/thread, and give my actual opinion of what I have watched....sometimes I may come over as a bit Over-critical, but that is just me being me....I only tend to comment on movies I feel are worth commenting on, that is, if they "Evoke" any feeling in me..(....I am STILL trying to get my head around "The Woodsman", with Kevin Bacon starring, which I watched a few months ago, but, I feel that it will need yet another watching sometime, to fully get to grips with what it is trying to "Say"...)...all in all, a rather disturbing movie, with ( again) a Brilliant cast...It is WELL worth a look, but be warned, it touches on some VERY Dark places that some peoples minds may not want to go.....

moon-movie-poster.jpg

Moon (2009) - I couldn't record it off BBC2 Wales because for some odd reason they didn't add it. This automatically caught my attention so I decided to record it off BBC2 England and what a little gem it is! It uses retro styled models which somehow still works in this small scale modern film. The plot was very engaged and twisted throughout. The costumes and designs throughout were fab. The Director really surprised me because I've never heard the name "Duncan Jones", but I heard he's doing a film on Warcraft. I have never played it, but I'm quite intrigued how he will make it a worthy film and transfer game to film successfully. Perhaps this new director will pull it off?

Last edited by a moderator:
moon-movie-poster.jpg

Moon (2009) - I couldn't record it off BBC2 Wales because for some odd reason they didn't add it. This automatically caught my attention so I decided to record it off BBC2 England and what a little gem it is! It uses retro styled models which somehow still works in this small scale modern film. The plot was very engaged and twisted throughout. The costumes and designs throughout were fab. The Director really surprised me because I've never heard the name "Duncan Jones", but I heard he's doing a film on Warcraft. I have never played it, but I'm quite intrigued how he will make it a worthy film and transfer game to film successfully. Perhaps this new director will pull it off?
I liked it too, seen some of its plot points used in films made since then :o
as for me, just watched:
220px-Killer_Joe_Poster.jpg

everybody is great in it, so:
A

moon-movie-poster.jpg

David Bowie's son. I agree with your review.

...Not being all "Holier than thou" here at all, But, for those who don't know, Duncan jones is David Bowies son ( "Zowie"). Moon is a very well made sci-fi movie indeed, with rather obvious nods to other Sci-fi classics ( Intentionally, I am sure...and rather well done!!)

he also later directed "Source code", staring Jake Gyllenhall, which was, in fact, the LAST movie I bought...I have not settled down to watch it yet, but I am looking forwrd to it, as Moon was so very well made....stand by for incoming review..... #Inter-space time- warpatial message end#:)

- - - Updated - - -

OOPS!! sorry Mozmal!! I was typing my reply as you put your Duncan Jones reference in!!...

David Bowie's son. I agree with your review.

Jesus Christ, of cause! How on earth did I not know? Son Of Bowie! Another genius in the family...superb!

...Not being all "Holier than thou" here at all, But, for those who don't know, Duncan jones is David Bowies son ( "Zowie"). Moon is a very well made sci-fi movie indeed, with rather obvious nods to other Sci-fi classics ( Intentionally, I am sure...and rather well done!!)

he also later directed "Source code", staring Jake Gyllenhall, which was, in fact, the LAST movie I bought...I have not settled down to watch it yet, but I am looking forwrd to it, as Moon was so very well made....stand by for incoming review..... #Inter-space time- warpatial message end#:)

- - - Updated - - -

OOPS!! sorry Mozmal!! I was typing my reply as you put your Duncan Jones reference in!!...

Please do review it. I may buy it also, if you think it's worthy enough :)

how was "Lovelace"? and gotta say Linda Lovelace may not be happy with the story of the film :straightface:
but my god, for the mainstream "movie version" of her to be played by
Amanda Seyfried :horny::p
as for me, last night it was:
ZeroDarkThirty2012Poster.jpg

Jessica Chastain's performance carries this film, and it starts with those real recordings from people in the towers
recordings which more than one of my fellow foreign, but not American, teachers believe were faked :mad:
it was one of those moments of solidarity for us American teachers, we stood alone and seems always will :straightface:
now as to the film itself, I think it over reaches when it comes to its seeming to imply that torture works in directly getting info
it really is mostly likely to only result in getting "disinformation" the tortured only talk to make the torture stop, nothing they say can be trusted
however, showing video of someone being tortured to another and then treating this other "nicer" is what got results
and as for the torture conducted under "CIA auspices" it was mostly done by Egyptians in Egypt, this is why we are still in bed with the scumbags that run the Egyptian army :cool:
they are blackmailing us

so yeah, that glaring fictionalization of torture and its results bring the overall grade I gave this film down from the A- Jessica Chastain's performance earned it to:
B-

how was "Lovelace"? and gotta say Linda Lovelace may not be happy with the story of the film :straightface:
but my god, for the mainstream "movie version" of her to be played by
Amanda Seyfried :horny::p
as for me, last night it was:
ZeroDarkThirty2012Poster.jpg

Jessica Chastain's performance carries this film, and it starts with those real recordings from people in the towers
recordings which more than one of my fellow foreign, but not American, teachers believe were faked :mad:
it was one of those moments of solidarity for us American teachers, we stood alone and seems always will :straightface:
now as to the film itself, I think it over reaches when it comes to its seeming to imply that torture works in directly getting info
it really is mostly likely to only result in getting "disinformation" the tortured only talk to make the torture stop, nothing they say can be trusted
however, showing video of someone being tortured to another and then treating this other "nicer" is what got results
and as for the torture conducted under "CIA auspices" it was mostly done by Egyptians in Egypt, this is why we are still in bed with the scumbags that run the Egyptian army :cool:
they are blackmailing us

so yeah, that glaring fictionalization of torture and its results bring the overall grade I gave this film down from the A- Jessica Chastain's performance earned it to:
B-

I think Amanda Seyfried did a great job portraying Linda Lovelace. Her story is sad. I didnt even recognize Sharon Stone who played Linda's domineering mother and The real Linda died in a car crash in 2002 I think.

41TZ744M7ML.jpg

Sooo depressing.

I think Amanda Seyfried did a great job portraying Linda Lovelace. Her story is sad. I didnt even recognize Sharon Stone who played Linda's domineering mother and The real Linda died in a car crash in 2002 I think.
good to know, sounds worth seeing :thumb: & yeah, just looked up Linda Lovelace, she did indeed die back in 2002 :straightface:
as for me, today I watched:
Cadillac_records_poster.jpg

it was, kind of, clunky in places, but the music was great, especially Beyoncé singing Etta James :blushing:
I mean normally I don't go in for her music, even though she makes me drool :horny::p
but when she songs like she did in this or "Dreamgirls" she is truly great to hear :love:
so, mainly based on the musical performances, I give it a B

Riddick-350x500.jpg

Well Riddick is now a trilogy with this film, but what damage has been done to the franchise with it's third film? Well, not much really. It doesn't beat Pitch Black, it doesn't beat Chronicles, but it's not terrible. I was thinking it may be in the style of Pitch Black when it actually isn't. The majority of the film is just finding Riddick! So it disappoints a little because not much happens. You see the character rebuild his trust with people towards the end, but the ending is where it all happens and it's ridiculously fast. The characters are forgettable, the new aliens don't beat the Pitch Black ones. But it's an action sci-fic...and that's what you get. It's much better than other sci fic action movies like Solider, some of the Resident Evil films and the Aliens Vs Predator franchise. But it's one film that I'll probably struggle to remember in a months time.

Tags
film movies
Back
Top Bottom