Thank you Morrissey

I honestly don’t feel Maudlin Street. I have, however, gone on to see Morrissey 200 + times. Did I waste all that time and money do you think ? X

I never got Maudlin Street either, it's the one 'big' Morrissey record that I never felt. The words are fine but as a musical piece it does nothing for me.

I never got Maudlin Street either, it's the one 'big' Morrissey record that I never felt. The words are fine but as a musical piece it does nothing for me.
I suggest listening to it at 14 as you are ripped away from home, friends, first smoochy girlfriend, and moved to a new city, as I did. It sounds a lot more epic that way. As an old guy now, it's overly long, but still beautiful, especially the interplay between guitar flourishes and vocal, and that sweet, sublime solo towards the outro.

Last edited:
I suggest listening to it at 14 as you are ripped away from home, friends, and first smoochy girlfriend, and moved to a new city, as I did. It sounds a lot more epic that way. As an old guy now, it's overly long, but still beautiful, especially the interplay between guitar flourishes and vocal, and that sweet, sublime solo towards the outro.

How old is old?

Entirely my thought on this. It will always be about opinions. I, on first reading, took slight offence at Amy’s comment, but I think it was probably mis-penned. After all, she seems a lovely lass, who wouldn’t intentionally offend anyone.
But Maudlin Street will never be anything more than a ‘filler’ to me,
Sorry, Amy x

How old is old?
Positively ancient. Like a decrepit mummy rising from the sarcophagus, moaning and creaking as I stagger forth to fulfill the particulars of my curse.
(I turned 41 in August.)

Entirely my thought on this. It will always be about opinions. I, on first reading, took slight offence at Amy’s comment, but I think it was probably mis-penned. After all, she seems a lovely lass, who wouldn’t intentionally offend anyone.
But Maudlin Street will never be anything more than a ‘filler’ to me,
Sorry, Amy x

I think I was being a bit dramatic with my first post, certainly.

For me, I think it is something to do with "Viva Hate" in general, I have such strong feelings about that album.

Before Viva, Morrissey was just 'the singer of the Smiths' to me. Great lyrics, yeah, but he nicked a lot from Shelagh Delaney and Oscar Wilde and I didn't really feel anything for the "man behind the words", as it were. He told stories but the lyrics were ambiguous, he had a very obvious "persona" in the early days. Then Viva Hate came along and it was just one raw, heartbroken, furious musical grieving. It just swallowed you whole. "Maudlin Street" fit its time and place, and even the music being sparse was fitting because Viva is about losing Johnny, and you can really feel that absence. "Viva Hate" came from heartbreak and it's a f***ing masterpiece.

Regardless of what you think of his opinions or lifestyle decisions I want to issue a big thanks to Moz. Im 18 years old and I got into Morrisseys music at quite a young age via my Dad. His music has really helped me through rough emotional times, I'm certain that the album Southpaw Grammar saved my life in a way. I find it shocking how little in our culture now his solo music is brought up, It really is such a shame that so many beautiful songs fall on deaf ears. Most people I ask about his music all start making a slitting wrist action and say they would rather listen to nothing, each to their own and all but I certainly think he is an unappreciated artist. His music has helped me when no one else was there.

Thanks for making all the songs that make us smile and the songs that make us cry.

How did you guys get into his music? I presume mostly from The Smiths? How has his music helped you?
I've got news for you: you still ARE at quite a young age :wink:

I think I was being a bit dramatic with my first post, certainly.

For me, I think it is something to do with "Viva Hate" in general, I have such strong feelings about that album.

Before Viva, Morrissey was just 'the singer of the Smiths' to me. Great lyrics, yeah, but he nicked a lot from Shelagh Delaney and Oscar Wilde and I didn't really feel anything for the "man behind the words", as it were. He told stories but the lyrics were ambiguous, he had a very obvious "persona" in the early days. Then Viva Hate came along and it was just one raw, heartbroken, furious musical grieving. It just swallowed you whole. "Maudlin Street" fit its time and place, and even the music being sparse was fitting because Viva is about losing Johnny, and you can really feel that absence. "Viva Hate" came from heartbreak and it's a f***ing masterpiece.

I gave a girl I know a copy of most of his solo albums plus most complications so she had pretty much every song in the repotoire. This was after she expressed a liking for Moz/Smiths and had seen him live once. Prior to that, it was new age downloading, however the tech-heads do it these days. She quickly became obsessed with VH after loving Quarry for about 6 weeks. It was a lovely feeling, as despite her young age (younger than me, anyway) she was quite an advanced musician and extremely knowledagable. I hope she feels the same about Maladjusted one day:lbf: I look back with a great fondness about the times we listened to the music together. It just felt perfect. Viva Hate was the platform.
Great album, but not my favourite.

Positively ancient. Like a decrepit mummy rising from the sarcophagus, moaning and creaking as I stagger forth to fulfill the particulars of my curse.
(I turned 41 in August.)

Your a child compared to me G23. When I was young and my dad was 40 I thought wow he is so old and now that I have surpassed that watermark I realized how right I was! I am now firmly entrenched somewhere between "Youth is wasted on the young" and "Hey you kids...get off of my lawn!" #gettingoldblows

(I turned 41 in August.)
You'll never know how young you are until you're not young anymore.

New single from The Manics or The Wedding Present, James Dean Bradfield and David Gedge can fight over who gets to record it and then send me the royalties.

Same. I think it's boring. I can't really slag it off... It's clear to me what it's trying, and I'm faintly surprised it works for other people, but for me? Flat as can be, and easily skippable.

Your a child compared to me G23. When I was young and my dad was 40 I thought wow he is so old and now that I have surpassed that watermark I realized how right I was! I am now firmly entrenched somewhere between "Youth is wasted on the young" and "Hey you kids...get off of my lawn!" #gettingoldblows
Tell that to the arthritis I'm suffering from a life spent working on my feet hustling drinks! Tell that to my sciatica! Tell that to my metal right hip! Tell that to my doctor who thinks only junkies take pain pills and won't prescribe them as a result!

Yeah its great when they havee no teeth #gettingoldblows

I started with the music of Moz in 2006 with the Ringleader Album. I liked it so uch that I want to hear more. Therefore, the Quarry Album was the next. And it was a bit better so I want to get all the rest. And at that point I've heared things like "How soon is now", "Speedways" or "The lazy sunbathers" or "Tomorrow" or "Jack the ripper" or or or I became a huge fan. Since ten years the sound of Moz is the music I heared the most time. He is of course the greatest living artist and he is definetely the artist with the highest output of high quality music over the decades!

Lovely initiative. I also feel like thanking him. I dare not think of where I would be was it not for Moz and his words and music.

There certainly is a light that never goes out.

I suggest listening to it at 14 as you are ripped away from home, friends, first smoochy girlfriend, and moved to a new city, as I did. It sounds a lot more epic that way. As an old guy now, it's overly long, but still beautiful, especially the interplay between guitar flourishes and vocal, and that sweet, sublime solo towards the outro.

When he almost whispers 'wherever you are I hope you're singing now' just tears my heart out. The idea of a lost love and wondering what became of them, of course in the age of social media that line is almost pointless now, LOL.

When he almost whispers 'wherever you are I hope you're singing now' just tears my heart out. The idea of a lost love and wondering what became of them, of course in the age of social media that line is almost pointless now, LOL.

Yes, social media ruined the illusions of lost loves.

Yes, social media ruined the illusions of lost loves.
Because the ex's are all online trying to make it look like they are having a great life but all we see are snippets in time from holidays but life is no holiday.
This is why I hack mobiles and computers cause I wanna watch and listen to what their life is really like.

Says the bloke with the looks of a rugby player whose career ended cause of a bad knee so he became a boring uni lecturer teaching people about biology.
Such a shame when a brit looks an american actor that never ended up on Gilmore Girls cause some other guy had greasier hair and looked good in checkered shirts and that was it.
You're head is not giant or anything.

Back
Top Bottom