The “real” way of listening to 'The Smiths' and 'Meat is Murder'

the_kaz

I'm slightly obsessive about listening to albums the way God intended them to be listened to; that is, without bonus tracks and with the correct running order. Yesterday, however, a thought popped into my head that I'd never considered before, one that has left me feeling scared and confused! That is, 'The Smiths' didn't originally feature 'This Charming Man', and 'Meat is Murder' didn't originally feature 'How Soon is Now?'. I've been listening to these albums with those tracks for years, and can't imagine listening to them in any other way because they're ingrained into the fabric of my very being. So, I was wondering, seeing as these two albums have become heavily associated as featuring those extra songs, and (I think – though please correct me if I'm wrong!) Morrissey himself favoured their inclusions, does that cement their inclusions as the “real deal”, so to speak? Is there anybody here who believes that 'The Smiths' and 'Meat is Murder' are best left listened to without these songs?

Sorry if this seems like an anal and pointless question, but it's the kind of nit-picky thing that weighs very heavily on my mind! Oh, and if anyone can clear up that issue regarding whether Morrissey (and Marr) himself chose for those tracks to be included, of if it was just a record label decision, I'd be very grateful!

This Charming Man was on the UK cassette of The Smiths but never part of the record LP. Meat Is Murder with How Soon Is Now is the American version of the album and I seem to remember reading somewhere that Morrissey wasn't happy about its inclusion.

Of the two, I think How Soon Is Now on Meat Is Murder is the more incongruous as it was recorded at a different earlier session to the rest of the Lp, had already been released on Hatful. As a UK fan who bought Meat LP at the time I always skip How Soon on the CD because I have never thought of it belonging on the record.

Hi, The Kaz...
Dunno about that, but, I REALLY MISS the "Scratch/Jump/Click" from my original Vinyl copy of Alice Coopers "Killer" album, that occured right ater a track called "Halo of Flies" finished. since I got the re-mastered CD...( original album LONG Gone in a Burglary.....).I even "do a Click" to myself...!!
Gawdd I miss That "Click"!!!!

I personally like re-edited albums, as ....urmmm....errr.....ahhh...it just gives me more tracks to listen to.....
( I do a bit of writing, and am always going back to it, and "Changing" bits....so I can Understand any artist wanting to do that with their own "Work"....).

I got the Beatles "Sgt.Pepper" CD, when originally released, and there were "Instructions" inside, to allow you to "Set" the CD Player to allow it to play as the Beatles themselves wanted it to play ( ...some sort of record company Decision made them "Change the layout of the songs.....).
I never tried it, as I like the album as it was, when I first heard it....

Is there anybody here who believes that 'The Smiths' and 'Meat is Murder' are best left listened to without these songs?

Yes. The U.S. versions are all bastardized. I also think "Kill Uncle" shouldn't have "Tony The Pony" and "Viva Hate" shouldn't have "Hairdresser On Fire". I've paid good money to buy versions without the extra tracks.

That said, if you're listening to digital versions, who cares? :rolleyes:

Thanks for the responses to my question! I agree that the How Soon is Now? inclusion makes far less sense than TCM' though I wonder why the latter was only included on the cassette and not the LP. :confused:

I'm slightly obsessive about listening to albums the way God intended them to be listened to; that is, without bonus tracks and with the correct running order. Yesterday, however, a thought popped into my head that I'd never considered before, one that has left me feeling scared and confused! That is, 'The Smiths' didn't originally feature 'This Charming Man', and 'Meat is Murder' didn't originally feature 'How Soon is Now?'. I've been listening to these albums with those tracks for years, and can't imagine listening to them in any other way because they're ingrained into the fabric of my very being. So, I was wondering, seeing as these two albums have become heavily associated as featuring those extra songs, and (I think – though please correct me if I'm wrong!) Morrissey himself favoured their inclusions, does that cement their inclusions as the “real deal”, so to speak? Is there anybody here who believes that 'The Smiths' and 'Meat is Murder' are best left listened to without these songs?

Sorry if this seems like an anal and pointless question, but it's the kind of nit-picky thing that weighs very heavily on my mind! Oh, and if anyone can clear up that issue regarding whether Morrissey (and Marr) himself chose for those tracks to be included, of if it was just a record label decision, I'd be very grateful!

It was years before TCM appeared on "The Smiths" other than the UK cassette version, I think - when I bought the CD version some time around 1990, it wasn't on it.

But anyway. You have already answered your own question. God or nature doesn't have any intentions concerning how music should be listened to. An album is an arbitrary construct, something cobbled together from a grtoup of recordings that could just as well have been cobbled together in a different order or with a different set of recordings. It only acquires any meaning through the act of repeatedly listening to it. Which does not make it less important. And which means that whatever you've been listening to for ten years is right. For you. And in any case you couldn't change that even if you tried.

cheers

It was years before TCM appeared on "The Smiths" other than the UK cassette version, I think - when I bought the CD version some time around 1990, it wasn't on it.

But anyway. You have already answered your own question. God or nature doesn't have any intentions concerning how music should be listened to. An album is an arbitrary construct, something cobbled together from a grtoup of recordings that could just as well have been cobbled together in a different order or with a different set of recordings. It only acquires any meaning through the act of repeatedly listening to it. Which does not make it less important. And which means that whatever you've been listening to for ten years is right. For you. And in any case you couldn't change that even if you tried.

cheers

draft_lens1283042module1553745photo_Pink_Floyd_-_Dark_Side_Of_The_Moon.jpg

Thanks for the responses to my question! I agree that the How Soon is Now? inclusion makes far less sense than TCM' though I wonder why the latter was only included on the cassette and not the LP. :confused:

It was common back in the old 1980s for cassette versions of albums to have bonus tracks and sometimes made sense when considering the available extra space on the end of a side if one side of an album was much longer than the other. Bar Meat Is Murder, all the Smiths albums were 10 trackers, 5 songs a side so it could be seen as uneven to include TCM (on the cassette it was at the start of side 2 making it a 6 tracks second half). Also, The Smiths were always big on non-album singles or keeping singles separate to albums which is why TCM was not actually part of the proper album. As an old fogey Smiths fan I still think of TCM as a non-album single rather than part of their debut. Each to their own.

The Kaz, I guess everyone has their own preferred way of listening to the albums, but for what it's worth I bought The Smiths albums on cassette as they were released. To be honset I was a little slow off the mark buying The Smiths, but I bought Meat is Murder and the others on the day of release all from the same Woolworths - buying them was ritualistic too. So for me at least This Charming Man does belong on The Smiths. It's not out of place.

BTW I was looking up something in a dictionary yesterday and my eye alighted upon the word "cassingle". Wonder if that's still printed in dictionaries? Will have bother if I try to use it in Scrabble this Christmas I'm sure....

Your point being?

cheers

I think his point is that artists do put some thought into the order of songs on the albums they release. Some more than others, of course. I doubt "The Queen Is Dead" is sequenced as carefully as "Dark Side Of The Moon" (though who knows, I've never listened to The Smiths stoned). But I do hear a plan to the tracks on The Smiths' albums. Could they be played in a different order? Sure, but why not go with the order chosen by the artists?

God or nature doesn't have any intentions concerning how music should be listened to. An album is an arbitrary construct, something cobbled together from a grtoup of recordings that could just as well have been cobbled together in a different order or with a different set of recordings. It only acquires any meaning through the act of repeatedly listening to it. Which does not make it less important. And which means that whatever you've been listening to for ten years is right. For you. And in any case you couldn't change that even if you tried.

I have to disagree with you there: sequencing an album is an (increasingly obsolete) art form.

Any idiot from a label can throw together some tracks and call it an album, but a great band knows its strengths, understands its narrative, and can fashion a statement. I dislike compilation albums for this reason: a random collection of songs is somewhat soulless, but a proper album captures a place and a time, and is a statement of intent.

Of course this goes for some bands more than others: the latest Killing Joke album would be a stylistic mess if it weren't for the sequencing, which is perfect. The last Arcade Fire album is also beautifully sequenced (all their albums are). Shuffle the tracks on either one, and the narrative is lost.

Kaz, I've always found those bothersome track inclusion/exclusion decisions made by record execs very frustrating, and back in the day I went out of my way to find original releases. In the case of The Smiths and Meat is Murder, though, I wouldn't fret about it - that's just the way it goes, and with The Smiths it's all good.

back in the day I went out of my way to find original releases.

Me too, although "How Soon Is Now?" never bothered me too much, though I prefer MIM without it. But "This Charming Man" on "The Smiths" I really, really loathed. I hate that version of the song. The only real version is the one on "Hatful of Hollow". The others are shit. :)

The Smiths without "This Charming Man" would seem less exciting too. Plus "Hand In Glove" is a single and that's the next track, so I think that "This Charming Man" fits in perfectly with the album. I think it needs cheering up and that is what the track does!

Last edited by a moderator:
I think his point is that artists do put some thought into the order of songs on the albums they release.

Obviously, but I'll be damned if i'm going to sit around trying to guess what exactly some twat's point is because he can't be arsed to string together a coherent statement.

Some more than others, of course. I doubt "The Queen Is Dead" is sequenced as carefully as "Dark Side Of The Moon" (though who knows, I've never listened to The Smiths stoned). But I do hear a plan to the tracks on The Smiths' albums. Could they be played in a different order? Sure, but why not go with the order chosen by the artists?

I have to disagree with you there: sequencing an album is an (increasingly obsolete) art form.

Any idiot from a label can throw together some tracks and call it an album, but a great band knows its strengths, understands its narrative, and can fashion a statement. I dislike compilation albums for this reason: a random collection of songs is somewhat soulless, but a proper album captures a place and a time, and is a statement of intent.

Of course this goes for some bands more than others: the latest Killing Joke album would be a stylistic mess if it weren't for the sequencing, which is perfect. The last Arcade Fire album is also beautifully sequenced (all their albums are). Shuffle the tracks on either one, and the narrative is lost.

Kaz, I've always found those bothersome track inclusion/exclusion decisions made by record execs very frustrating, and back in the day I went out of my way to find original releases. In the case of The Smiths and Meat is Murder, though, I wouldn't fret about it - that's just the way it goes, and with The Smiths it's all good.

You both misunderstand my point, which almost certainly means I failed to make it clear. I am not arguing that sequencing doesn't matter, or that it is purely random, or that it can't be an artistic tool. Obviously that is the case.

My point is twofold. One, even though sequencing is intentional that does not mean that any given specific sequencing is the way, the only natural way, to order a given set of material. Secondly, most of it is in the act of listening. Once you have absorbed an album in a given sequence over a long period, it seems unthinkable that it could be otherwise. If Pink Floyd had exchanged one of the tracks on DSOTM with a different track and arranged the tracks in a different sequence (one with a thought behind it) when the album was originally released, would it have seemed wrong somehow today? Of course it wouldn't. Well I wonder is the only song that can possibly follow Nowhere Fast, overwhelmingly because that's what it does.

Or take the album that started this discussion, The Smiths. There's a huge number of songs who could easily have been on that album. If These things Take time and Handsome Devil had been picked for inclusion over You've got Everything Now and I don't owe you anything, would that have made the album seem unnaturally composed? You can say there are reasons why some songs were chosen and some weren't, but ultimately, 25 years down the road, do those reasons really amount to much significance for the listening experience?

Personally I have no doubt that there are at least 20 different ways in which DSOTM could have been sequenced that would every one of them have turned into the only imaginable sequence after 30 years of listening.

Which does not matter at all to the fact that sequencing matters. It matters big time. It is full of meaning. But the meaning is generated overwhelmingly by our repeated listening to the music in a given sequence, and only marginally by any artistic effect inherent in a given sequencing. Which is important relative to the original question because it means that if you've listened to The Smiths with TCM for 20 years, then that is neccessarily the correct sequence. As I wrote, and meant literally, it doesn't even matter if he agrees - he is never going to be able to change his perception, whether he wants to or not.

cheers

Me too, although "How Soon Is Now?" never bothered me too much, though I prefer MIM without it. But "This Charming Man" on "The Smiths" I really, really loathed. I hate that version of the song. The only real version is the one on "Hatful of Hollow". The others are shit. :)

Oh no, no, no, please don't say that. Not that I don't prefer the HoH version over all the others, I do. But the Manchester version is wonderful. It was, in fact, the first thing I ever heard of the Smiths. For years I was unable to get it or even tape it, I was almost obsessed by it. In the end I re-encountered it, of all places, on the jukebox of the only cafe in Cavaillon that was open at 7.30 in the morning (I'd rented a small farmhouse with some friends one semester to read alone rather than go to lectures, and we had to get the school bus into town every time we needed to do shopping). I'm sure our descent on the place was dreaded, as I invariably played it nonstop for the hour or so we were there, every time. In the end, I found it second-hand in England in 1990, gladly shelled out 25 quid for it and it was the most fulfilling music purchase feeling I ever had. :)

cheers

Wasn't track sequencing on vinyl also determined by the engineering requirements? That is, louder tracks were at the beginning of LPs and the quieter tracks at the end. So even if, as an artist, you wrote an album with a certain track sequence in mind, you may have had to change it.

Wasn't track sequencing on vinyl also determined by the engineering requirements? That is, louder tracks were at the beginning of LPs and the quieter tracks at the end. So even if, as an artist, you wrote an album with a certain track sequence in mind, you may have had to change it.

Yes, that's right, because the length of groove traveled in one minute at the beginning of a side is far greater than the length of the groove at the end, and the longer the distance covered, the better sound fidelity you get.

Back
Top Bottom