The album that sums up the 80's decade

everydayslikesunday

Right, not the best album from the 80's necessarily but an album that best represents the decade.

Personally I would pick either ABC - Lexicon of Love or Duran Duran - Rio

Any thoughts?

Please - Pet Shop Boys
High Land, Hard Rain - Aztec Camera
Follow The Leader - Eric B & Rakim

Gotta be Thriller, right? That album was everything and everywhere and cemented MJ as global icon, matched by no one. Helped propel MTV, as well. Another 80s phenomenon.

We have to mention a-ha - Hunting High and Low. What a beauty that is. So is Scoundrel Days. Such an underrated band. When they’re at their very best, few bands can beat them when it comes to atmospheric and melancholy pop. And these two albums really screams 80’s.

Too hard for me to decide based on albums (or only one artist).
So here's some of the individual songs that answer this for me:

The Human League - DON'T YOU WANT ME - 1981

Duran Duran - SAVE A PRAYER - 1982

Kajagoogoo - TOO SHY - 1983

Howard Jones - LIKE TO GET TO KNOW YOU WELL- 1984

Tears For Fears - HEAD OVER HEELS - 1985

Pet Shop Boys - WEST END GIRLS - 1986

Depeche Mode - BEHIND THE WHEEL - 1987

The Church - UNDER THE MILKY WAY - 1988

https://youtu.be/hXCKLJGLENs
The Cure - LOVESONG - 1989

'Now That's What I Call Music'. But seriously, I liked Easy Pieces by Lloyd Cole and The Commotion. I don't know whether it summed up the 80s though. Edit: Until recently, I had all of the Now albums. I've kept the early vinyl ones from the 80s.

I've been listening to Easy Pieces all this week, I think it is seriously under rated. Some of Lloyd Cole's lyrics are good enough to be on a Morrissey album.

'Now That's What I Call Music'. But seriously, I liked Easy Pieces by Lloyd Cole and The Commotion. I don't know whether it summed up the 80s though. Edit: Until recently, I had all of the Now albums. I've kept the early vinyl ones from the 80s.

Firstly appreciate the prompt to revisit this great album.....under=rated definatley but maybe, for me anyway,doesnt sum up the 80s more than both Rattlesnakes and Prefabs Sprouts Steve McQueen or Two Wheels Good as our American friends know it as...production on both those albums exude the 80's in a really good way that I miss on albums released now.

Thats a tough question and personally don't think any album represents the decade as everyone has a personal journey.

Spiritually and from a obsevation of point of view I would suggest Prince "Sign of Times" sums up the decade.

Queen is Dead is by far the best album

(alternative take):

Soft Cell - TAINTED LOVE - 1981

A Flock of Seagulls - I RAN (SO FAR AWAY) - 1982

New Order - BLUE MONDAY - 1983

Spandau Ballet - ONLY WHEN YOU LEAVE - 1984

A-ha - TAKE ON ME - 1985

The Human League - HUMAN - 1986

Echo and the Bunnymen - LIPS LIKE SUGAR - 1987

Erasure - CHAINS OF LOVE - 1988

https://youtu.be/4ycl_ayPHU0
The Cure - DISINTEGRATION STREET - 1989