The Aquarian IANADOAC review by Vinny Cecolini

https://www.theaquarian.com/2020/04...-nelson-promise-of-the-real-dinosaur-eyelids/

A bit late in the day, but here's a very positive review of the album by Vinny Cecolini in The Aquarian (alongside reviews of albums by Pearl Jam, The Strokes, etc):

Yes, Morrissey has aged into a curmudgeon. His recent politically incorrect comments have alienated a lot of people, including some of his ardent, long-time fans. Although inappropriate, I compare his cantankerous rantings to that of an elderly man yelling at neighborhood kids to get off his lawn. So, instead of turning our collective backs to, and noses up at Moz, let’s embrace him and appreciate that we still have him. Especially when he is capable of creating an album that some may eventually mistake for a latter-day greatest hits collection. Yes, the blunt, “in your face” I Am Not a Dog on a Chain is his best work in decades. Working again with long-time collaborator Joe Chiccarelli, Moz delves into all his musical sides. From the ‘80s alternative pop of “Jim Jim Falls” to the trademark Morrissey melancholy of “Love is on Its Way Out,” there seems to be a potential hit at every turn. And the soulful “Bobby, Don’t You Think They Know?” is quickly becoming my favorite Morrissey solo recording. Lyrically, Moz remains stubborn and steadfast in his ways, taking occasional swipes at his critics and the media, especially on the hysterically indignant, but infectiously catchy title track. While “Knockabout World” is Moz confronting himself in the mirror over his recent controversy, “What Kind of People Live in These Houses” could have easily lived on a Smiths’ album. Now what could be more appetizing than that?

My least favorite is "I Am Not A Dog On A Chain" but I think it's because it has that kind of strange humorous tone that would have made it fit well on "Kill Uncle." It's okay but it seems almost like a parody and the tone is different. It would fit better with "Sing Your Life" or "King Leer," I think.

Phenomenal album...and with the passage of time it can only mature even more!

It flows wonderfully and has a beautiful, fresh and unique sound!

It feels whole...complete!

Perfect!

My least favorite is "I Am Not A Dog On A Chain" but I think it's because it has that kind of strange humorous tone that would have made it fit well on "Kill Uncle." It's okay but it seems almost like a parody and the tone is different. It would fit better with "Sing Your Life" or "King Leer," I think.

Yes, exactly - and then at times it lurches into that shouty chugging alt-rock that this album blissfully avoids. But there are so many wonderful songs aside from that!

Yes, exactly - and then at times it lurches into that shouty chugging alt-rock that this album blissfully avoids. But there are so many wonderful songs aside from that!
It's too new to say it's his best and I feel loyal to the early stuff but it's one of his best definitely.

Phenomenal album...and with the passage of time it can only mature even more!

It flows wonderfully and has a beautiful, fresh and unique sound!

It feels whole...complete!

Perfect!

It's a groovy move all the way through.
Sounds like they were havin' a blast makin' this thing.

I love all the songs on NOT A DOG. Every single one of them.

This album is truly a masterpiece.

I can’t get enough of it. My favorites for now are River & Secret.

Damn, this album is awesome! AWESOME!!!!

If NOT A DOG was a male body, it would look like this. F***ing awesome!

F3F8691E-7816-4938-88B2-4B1DC5D222C4.jpeg

The album is certainly incredible
The collaboration with Jessie Tobias on this record can't be understated. I never got what Jessie was all about and I have not really liked any of Morrissey's work since way back around Your Arsenal, but this record is up there with his best work in The Smiths. The guitar work especially is modern and Jessie has composed some really wonderful melodic arpeggiated guitar parts..I now understand his appeal to Moz. If I had to pick a single track which is very hard to do, "Once I Saw The River Clean" is the bees knees for me. No doubt the album is certainly incredible and for sure his best work in decades.

Loving the new album but I wish it was longer, perhaps another two or three songs as I feel it seems to finish very quickly. I remember it was suggested by Moz that it would be a twelve song album, curious as to what happened to the twelfth track.

Loving the new album but I wish it was longer, perhaps another two or three songs as I feel it seems to finish very quickly. I remember it was suggested by Moz that it would be a twelve song album, curious as to what happened to the twelfth track.

Dlx version?

Tags
i am not a dog on a chain review

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom