The Cure thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 1074
  • Start date
saying they influenced early emo is a big stretch if not just outright wrong (for sure not brand new). smiths and morrissey is all up in it but not much cure really beyond the odd here and there reference

saying they influenced early emo is a big stretch if not just outright wrong (for sure not brand new). smiths and morrissey is all up in it but not much cure really beyond the odd here and there reference

Who influenced Shoegazer more than the Cure? This is a question for anyone.

What's the policy when it comes to inducting bands like the Cure that have had so many different lineups? Who gets in and who doesn't?

Whoever is still in the original lineup 25 years...from the release of the first album? In this case, is that one person? And does that person look anything like Edward Scissorhands? ;)

Whoever is still in the original lineup 25 years...from the release of the first album? In this case, is that one person? And does that person look anything like Edward Scissorhands? ;)

Seriously? That's the criteria? Damn. Well, yeah…in that case, it's just Robert! Personally, I'd advocate for everyone in the 87-89 lineup to be included.

But wait, when the E Street Band were inducted this year, Patti Scialfa was definitely included, and she didn't join the band until 1984. Maybe it's a case by case thing?

Totally, Bill Berry - R.E.M. - he was in from 1980 to 1997. Case by case basis. Of course, he nearly died onstage.

Seriously? That's the criteria? Damn. Well, yeah…in that case, it's just Robert! Personally, I'd advocate for everyone in the 87-89 lineup to be included.

But wait, when the E Street Band were inducted this year, Patti Scialfa was definitely included, and she didn't join the band until 1984. Maybe it's a case by case thing?

brand new couldn't be called "early" emo by any stretch of the imagination, seeing as the earliest emo bands were making records at the same time the cure were writing their most "emotional" music (i.e. the mid to late eighties). that said, i guess this dingus never caught the bridge in "logan to govt center," the lyrics of which are directly ripped from "close to me." the cure are not an influence on early emo, and brand new are not early emo, but the cure are an influence on brand new.

20t1ieq.jpg

I envy anyone who will be attending tonight and tomorrow's shows. They're going to be incredible.

A couple of nice tweets today from Roger…

Last edited by a moderator:
Now THIS is a fun setlist—clocking in at just over 3 hours. I f***ing love the Cure. I can't wait to see what they play tomorrow night…
(via Chain of Flowers)

The Cure at Hammersmith Apollo 12/21/14

Shake Dog Shake
Kyoto Song
A Night Like This
alt.end
Wailing Wall
Bananafishbones
The Caterpillar
The Walk
A Man Inside My Mouth
Close to Me
Lullaby
High
Birdmad Girl
Just Like Heaven
Pictures of You
Before Three
Lovesong
Like Cockatoos
From the Edge of the Deep Green Sea
Want
The Hungry Ghost
One Hundred Years
Give Me It

1st encore:
The Empty World
Charlotte Sometimes
Primary
The Top

2nd encore:
Dressing Up
Piggy in the Mirror
Never Enough
Wrong Number

3rd encore:
Three Imaginary Boys
M
Play For Today
A Forest

Comment from Robert: "We're probably going to overrun a bit but pfft it's Christmas"

4th encore:
The Lovecats
Let's Go to Bed
Why Can't I Be You?
Boys Don't Cry
Hey You

Hey you, yes you, you the one that looks like Christmas, come over here and kiss me, kiss me…

Last edited:
Second night setlist—almost the same as last night (3+ hours, 4 encores), but: added Push (<3!), Inbetween Days, Fascination Street / removed Before Three, High, Let's Go To Bed (in other words, EVEN BETTER).

Banter from Robert before the third encore: "It used to be easy to decide what to play. People would ask for that dripdripdrip song" Plays intro of 10:15... "Maybe later" "This is a Disintegration-type encore - but the happy side of Disintegration. What do you mean 'boo'? Look behind you!"

From last night, the first-ever live performance of A Man Inside My Mouth—wish the shot were wide enough to see the rest of the band, but fun anyway. I love when they play weird stuff that doesn't really "work" live.

I remember one girl standing, one was sitting on the ground, one was holding me up, the other pulling me down
And I couldn't decide which one was real because there wasn't a sound, like I was pregnant again

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom