The day Morrissey came to tea: an extract from Dave Haslam’s memoir

The day Morrissey came to tea: an extract from Dave Haslam’s memoir - The Observer
In book Sonic Youth Slept on My Floor, the DJ recalls how the Smiths changed British music, and his charming days spent with Morrissey – on photo shoots, at the Haçienda, and over cauliflower cheese

43092_dave_haslam.jpg

Also, interview with Miranda Sawyer in which the changes in Morrissey are mused upon - Morrissey is now "...uninformed, charmless, bitter and twisted..."

Dave Haslam: ‘That music changed lives. It made Manchester what it is’ - The Observer

Excerpt:

What about Morrissey now? How do you feel about him?
In the context of music, the Smiths were so valuable, they made such an impact… But I have no explanations for why Morrissey ended up saying the stuff he does. It is almost as though he’s another person. Everything he was – informed, charming, gentle – he is the opposite now – uninformed, charmless, bitter and twisted. It’s a strange one, especially because he says he hasn’t changed. From my perspective, he has.

Last edited by a moderator:
So one more question on this dish. The cauliflower, how is it presented? Is it cut into steaks/slabs? Or is it florettes? Trying to envision what it looks like.
cauliflower-cheese-walnuts-crumbs.jpg

Oh, and some people top with a mix of cheese and breadcrumbs, so it looks like this:
Felicitys-perfect-caulifl-006.jpg

I'm thinking we maybe need a new cookery thread...

cauliflower-cheese-walnuts-crumbs.jpg

Oh, and some people top with a mix of cheese and breadcrumbs, so it looks like this:
Felicitys-perfect-caulifl-006.jpg

I'm thinking we maybe need a new cookery thread...

No ! No ! No !
This dish is M U R D E R !

I'm with Charlie Cheswick only a Phaal curry sauce can get this stuff down.
It's just tasteless albino vegetable. Avoid at all costs.

Benny-the-British-Butcher :greatbritain::knife:

The day Morrissey came to tea: an extract from Dave Haslam’s memoir - The Observer
In book Sonic Youth Slept on My Floor, the DJ recalls how the Smiths changed British music, and his charming days spent with Morrissey – on photo shoots, at the Haçienda, and over cauliflower cheese

43092_dave_haslam.jpg

Also, interview with Miranda Sawyer in which the changes in Morrissey are mused upon - Morrissey is now "...uninformed, charmless, bitter and twisted..."

Dave Haslam: ‘That music changed lives. It made Manchester what it is’ - The Observer

Excerpt:

What about Morrissey now? How do you feel about him?
In the context of music, the Smiths were so valuable, they made such an impact… But I have no explanations for why Morrissey ended up saying the stuff he does. It is almost as though he’s another person. Everything he was – informed, charming, gentle – he is the opposite now – uninformed, charmless, bitter and twisted. It’s a strange one, especially because he says he hasn’t changed. From my perspective, he has.
Morrissey has become so immersed in the fight for animal rights/welfare that everything he says is from that single perspective. He is passionate about it at the expense of all else. He isn't racist or anything like that, he speaks out about halal meat and kosher meat because he can't stand how barbaric it is. He speaks about that awful right wing woman because she is from a party that has animal welfare in its policies when other parties do not. He's the same guy but doesn't ever explain himself so he ends up looking sooo bad

Morrissey has become so immersed in the fight for animal rights/welfare that everything he says is from that single perspective. He is passionate about it at the expense of all else. He isn't racist or anything like that, he speaks out about halal meat and kosher meat because he can't stand how barbaric it is. He speaks about that awful right wing woman because she is from a party that has animal welfare in its policies when other parties do not. He's the same guy but doesn't ever explain himself so he ends up looking sooo bad

Utter nonsense. That's the shield he hides behind of late when he wants to slag off non-white people.

No ! No ! No !
This dish is M U R D E R !

I'm with Charlie Cheswick only a Phaal curry sauce can get this stuff down.
It's just tasteless albino vegetable. Avoid at all costs.

Benny-the-British-Butcher :greatbritain::knife:
Oh Benny, you disappoint me! Although I must admit I do prefer mine with a bit of crispy bacon on top.

oh tat, that all sounds so delicious but also oh-so-complicated! I have an adaptive disability when it comes to cooking, so as it happens, I cant do any of that. im afraid there is nothing else to be done but for you to box up a grilled cheese and tomato soup and send it to me--along with the biscotti, thunderstorm and cauliflower cheese. but maybe not at the same time, of course. if i am to recieve the cauliflower cheese tomorrow, then maybe if you could have the grilled cheese and tomato soup to me on Tuesday? that would work brilliantly. thanks in advance!
I see. Well, can you choose your menu for the rest of the week so I can grab all the groceries at once? All the extra trips to the store will really add to the cost of me for you!

Enrobed! Such a good word! But yes, you want it well covered so the cauliflower doesn't dry out and so there's lots to go round when you dish it up. The surplus is particularly nice spooned over a jacket potato.
Oh jeez, Pep! What the hell is a jacket potato? Are you Brits just making things up to enjoy a good joke at my expense now?

How dare you suggest that Dear Uncle Peter has an "agenda"! He is the most liberal, understanding, empathetic and wonderful of all those post on here. He is a Wall-Eyed God amongst men and DEFINITELY NOT A RACIST! He even wears "I'm not a racist" socks...what other proof do you need?
i want to see those socks then I will be satisfied.

That bottom picture looked really good, like an apple crumble or something but when you bit in it would be like eating an olive after being told it was a grape. Trick food.

I was a cook and that's the only time I ever cooked cauliflower and then only when I didn't have something better. Cauliflower > brussels sprouts but just these recipes would be much better with broccoli.
I don't blame Morrissey for saying he had already eaten.

Oh no, HOW SOON IS THE END ?

Hazard
x

ps. - this is probably wasted here (given-no-one-but-me appears to either READ or LISTEN !)

Progress report: Picked up groceries tonight. Went to two stores before I found Tillamook. They had an special reserve extra sharp so I’m thinking that will do the trick. Got cream instead of milk cause I’m going all out. Am roasting a head of garlic right now. May have to do a little quality control tonight with it smeared on some crusty bread. I’m ready for Operation Cauliflower Cheese to commence tomorrow evening.

Progress report: Picked up groceries tonight. Went to two stores before I found Tillamook. They had an special reserve extra sharp so I’m thinking that will do the trick. Got cream instead of milk cause I’m going all out. Am roasting a head of garlic right now. May have to do a little quality control tonight with it smeared on some crusty bread. I’m ready for Operation Cauliflower Cheese to commence tomorrow evening.
How exciting! I do hope you're inviting us all over to sample it.

Photos are awesome! That was more or less like it looked in my mind. And do start a cooking thread. I think that’s a brilliant idea!
Hmm. Well, I would but since a great deal of what I eat involves meat, I'm not sure how well it would go down here!

Last edited:

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom