The Film Stage: Shoplifters of the World Review: Helena Howard and Ellar Coltrane Embark on a Music-Filled Journey of Self-Discovery

Review from The Film Stage:

Shoplifters of the World Review: Helena Howard and Ellar Coltrane Embark on a Music-Filled Journey of Self-Discovery

by Jared Mobarak, March 24, 2021

Excerpt:

"...The result is imperfect (the acting can be uneven outside of Howard’s innate talent to demand the undivided attention of everyone on-screen and off), but its messaging and execution is a lot more resonant than I expected going in—a less successful sibling to Blinded By the Light. My initial interest in watching mainly stemmed from the soundtrack (I’m a Smiths fan) and Dean’s criminal activities recalling Airheads, so I wasn’t therefore expecting to find a poignant riff on coming-of-age party films from the 90s (Can’t Hardly Wait and the like) that digs deeper into the collective psyche of teen angst without ignoring the impact of topics that have recently relinquished the taboo label that kept them unspoken back then (albeit superficially). It’s time the “freaks” took over."

Grade: B-

As far as I'm concerned B- is a high grade. If I would have ever come home with a grade as high as B- my parents would have thrown a party.

Tags
shoplifters movie

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom